Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought about getting sisterlocks for awhile but the upkeep is too expensive. I lost a ton of hair when I was pregnant (think George Jefferson) and had to rock a wig when I came back from maternity leave. Because of how horrible I felt bald it was one of the reasons I decided against gastric. I also decided to go natural and go with twist instead of sister locks, all in hopes of getting my hair back to its healthy natural state and not losing so much of it after surgery. I will keep my fingers clasped (as in prayer).

Hey San I was natural for many many years, I even had locks that came to the middle of my back. Try Sonya Tutuwan at Changes Salon and Spa if you want advice and upkeep on wearing your hair natural. The website is Changes Salon Spa and Wellness Center::: detection flash plugin

I have heard that anesthesia can mess with hair as well, and that as your sytem gets rid of it, the hair does too.

I think that might be in more extreme cases, and of course everyone is different.

Like someone said up there, I can always rock a weave if I need to lol.

I have upped my Protein, doing hair and nail Vitamins from GNC. I hoping that my system will be so strong that my hair will not fall out. My hair is finally started filling in with these locks. I refuse to have it fall out. Yes sisterlocks are exipensive but I am going to take the class and do it myself. I also don't buy any other products, only castille soap for Shampoo. I has been worth every penny that I have spent so far.

Hello there!

First of all, congratulations! Keep up the good work. Next week I have my behavioral therapist appointment, so I am looking foward to another step. Then, on Oct 3, the nutritionist. My question/comment is actually about your hair. I notice from your message that you use castille soap for your hair. I have castille soap, but have not used it as a Shampoo. It works well on african-american hair? Also, you mentioned that that is the only product you use...so, no oils and/or conditioners on a weekly (i.e., 2 or 3 times per week) basis? Please let me know. Presently I have my hair in braids anyway to give it rest for the summer, but I am due to have it done again and am curious. When did you have your surgery? Also where? Contact me when you can!

Jazzy4Health,

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been natural since January - started growing out my last relaxer actually before that, but I grew my hair out for about 3 months, then did the BC (Big Chop) and went down to a TWA (Teeny-Weeny Afro).

Talk about a change! My relaxed hair was down to my shoulders, but started breaking off because I wasn't taking care of it. I found a great website - www.nappturality.com - where there are tons of natural-haired sistas and they have tons of advice on keeping your hair healthy.

Check them out - I've found wonderful products via recommendations there, and my hair is so healthy now...:thumbup:

Jazzy4health,

If I only used castille soap on my hair when I was natural, my hair would have looked like a brillo pad. I have sisterlocks. When I was natural I condition washed and used a lot of products to soften my hair. Being natural slowed down the alopehia (sp?) I haven't had surgery yet. I am one of those people that love to prepare for thing, so I have been preparing for surgery. Good luck

Sandra

When I was locked I used the Dr. Bonners (Sp?) peppermint or lavender. It was great. I also mixed essential oils like Vitamin e, peppermint, and jojoba with olive oil. I would also boil chamomile tea and used it after I Shampoo then rinse. Ya girl had long gorgeous locks that went to the middle of my back!

I WAS BANDED IN JAN. AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY Hair loss PROBLEMS. i AM INVOLVED WITH THE LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP AND THERE HAVE BEEN NO COMPLAINTS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW YOU NUTRITIONIST DIETARY INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks all! That is pretty much what I gathered from the doc, etc. Hairloss really only occurs when not following the nutritionist's advice. Also, in the case of hair that does have some problems it begins to grow back fairly easily. My concern had been that in the past I did have problems with my hair/scalp, so I was just wondering. I too went natural for a few years, but the way my hairdresser tended to my hair it always looked slammin'. She was spanish - and not for nothing - but I have found due to the diversity in their ethnicity, in general spanish people are excellent with all forms of "ethnic" hair. As for me, after wearing braids for about 2.5 years, my hair was so healthy. It has always been super thick and soft, but NEVER had length. When I had it done is a soft hot comb style it was passed the middle of my back. Unfortunately due to some health issues...I had to cut it and have never grown it like that again. When I got married (2 years ago next Tuesday (biggrin) it was about 3 inches past my shoulders. Anyway, it has been nice having it in the breads. My hubby loves anything I do, so that is cool too. But, it was a great break during the humid weather.

Glad for the info. Hope you are all doing well at whatever step of your weight loss you find yourselves. Things are going well for me. My husband gave me a really nice complement tonight and said that he could tell I was losing weight and really enjoying my exercising schedule. Even though the 4 miles a day is very tough sometimes, but it is worth it! Well, I hope to hear about your progress soon ladies and will keep you up-to-date on mine!

Your sister in the Quest for

*taking notes* :cry_smile:

Thanks a bunch, Curves, for the report - must get some Biotin and keep the Protein high after surgery! :mellow:

I went to the beauty shop on Saturday... mind you I had not been there since having surgery. When she started washing my hair she said... "what have you been taking? " I said "oh I been on Protein shakes and Biotin." She said my hair was "scary thick..."

I guess the increase to the Protein and Biotin are really helping alot.

Note to self: Get some biotin!

What hair products are good to use on Remi? Has anyone tried the lace weave system?

I actually have very thick hair but am wearing sew ins to grow it out (for good this time)

I just had some saga indian remy taken down(loved it!) Its great for a silky straight look but also does well with rollers. It can't take a lot of heat or heavy greasy products.

I currently have VIP yacky remy. I bought the yacky remy because it has a little more texture and I need to be able to flat Iron the style that I am wearing (lovin' it). I still don't use greasy heavy products

You have to be careful with remy cause you don't want to look like a wet cat. Besides it costs too much money to mess up! Also, if you use product you are gonna need to Shampoo it at least every 1 1/2 weeks.

My picks: Aveda all the way! I use the Light Elements Smoothing Fluid ($24) for sheen on the saga remy and I use it to flat Iron the yacky remy. It is very light weight, high gloss and yields great results. I also use the Aveda Brilliance Anti-Humectant pomade ($19) for fly aways and shine. I swear by them on my on hair as well. You will never go back to another product! The Shampure is great conditioner and shampoo if you are washing it yourself.

If your stylist is not use to working with remy feel free to let her know that it can't take a lot of heat or oil (grease in the dirty dirty)

I hope this helps. Let me know how you hair turns out

I think hair loss occurs on an individual basis. I didnt lose any hair. BUT my hair was brittle for months after surgery.

On the natural hair note...Ive been natural for 11years, my whole adult life. And what I have learned in that time is that you have to try different products. LOTS AND LOTS.

Right now I swear by Aussie Moist for conditioner washes, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle DEEEP for detangling and deep condtioning, ABBA True Curls Shampoo (organic), and ABBA Nourishing Leave in Conditioner, AND ElastaQP DPR deep conditioner. Like I said LOTS.

Nappturality is a great resource. MotownGirl.com is the original natural hair care site.