Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I decided to come by here today, and I'm glad I did.

I was banded 3/21/07. I lost 50 lbs before surgery. After surgery I had lost another 18-20 lbs, but now have gained most of that back (the 18-20 lbs - still down the 50 I lost before surgery)

For me my issue has been my port. It has flipped on me twice, which prevents me from any exercises with stretching (including swimming)

January of 08 the surgeon went in and fixed the first flip (after telling me for MONTHS that it was normal the pain I was having)

Then I waited 8 weeks (he had said 4-6 weeks) before even attempting to exercise - then SURPRISE - the port flipped again.

Since then my surgeon was unable to fill the port without floroscopy, and I just can't afford that ($75 copay). So instead of having ANOTHER surgery to fix the port of a tool which isn't doing me any good without restriction and exercise, I have made the decision to revise to RNY.

My boss asked me to wait till after the holidays due to work being too busy at that time, so the band removal is scheduled for 1/5/09 and the RNY is scheduled for 2/24/09!!!

I was banded 3/21/07. I lost 50 lbs before surgery. After surgery I had lost another 18-20 lbs, but now have gained most of that back (the 18-20 lbs - still down the 50 I lost before surgery)

For me my issue has been my port. It has flipped on me twice, which prevents me from any exercises with stretching (including swimming)

January of 08 the surgeon went in and fixed the first flip (after telling me for MONTHS that it was normal the pain I was having)

Then I waited 8 weeks (he had said 4-6 weeks) before even attempting to exercise - then SURPRISE - the port flipped again.

Since then my surgeon was unable to fill the port without floroscopy, and I just can't afford that ($75 copay). So instead of having ANOTHER surgery to fix the port of a tool which isn't doing me any good without restriction and exercise, I have made the decision to revise to RNY.

My boss asked me to wait till after the holidays due to work being too busy at that time, so the band removal is scheduled for 1/5/09 and the RNY is scheduled for 2/24/09!!!

Sorry you are having so many problems. It's spooky revising to another procedure but sooo worth it if the original surgery isn't doing the trick.

Good luck to you!

Guest zsflower

Hang in there! I had my band removed after almost 6 years and converted to the RNY Feb '08. I lost a little over 100 lbs and gained back about 70 lbs. I now weigh about 30 lbs less than my lowest band weight. I've lost 91 lbs so far and am still losing. You will get through this!

I'm looking to get a revision to the VSG. My ins covers VSG but the lady at the Dr's office said that I would have to qualify as if I am having WLS for the 1st time. I no longer have any co-morbids and my bmi is 36 I'm wondering if it will be approved. Has anyone been approved with a similar situation?

I'm looking to get a revision to the VSG. My ins covers VSG but the lady at the Dr's office said that I would have to qualify as if I am having WLS for the 1st time. I no longer have any co-morbids and my bmi is 36 I'm wondering if it will be approved. Has anyone been approved with a similar situation?

Sort of... kinda. ;o)

My insurance would have covered a revision but I was too sick at the time to jump through ins hoops and I didn't care for any of the docs that my ins listed for revisions. So I decided to self pay in MX. I could get it done quickly and it was by the surgeon of my choice that I trusted.

Point being, I had a BMI of 20-22? Somewhere around there? No comorbids at all, never did have any even with my original band. You have to have a history of MO with my ins.

The standard of care in the US and MX is a history of MO for a revision being done all at once. Meaning one surgery to remove a band and revise to a new procedure. Less surgical risk, less anesthesia risk, etc. But it can't always be done in one surgery safely. If there is a great deal of pouch swelling, slip, erosion, etc., it may not be able to be done in a single procedure. Sometimes you have to have the band removed, heal, and then go back for a 2nd procedure.

I decided to fight weight loss vs. weight regain by having two procedures. I could have had my band removed on an emergency basis and waited to jump through hoops for a revision. But I would have gained and I felt that was more potentially dangerous (and I didn't want to lose all that again) than fighting weight loss.

If you do have the band removed and they won't revise now, you aren't that far away from a BMI of 40 so you may qualify soon. I know I wouldn't have kept it off without a revision.

The sleeve is fantastic, I LOVE it! Soooooo much easier than the band. I am still amazed at how much I just got used to with banding and it became a way of life. Today I have WLS without the crap banding brings. Life is good with a sleeve.

I am so glad that this thread is here, and that there are people like me. I felt like a complete failure with my band, lost 40lbs since March of 2007. Looking to lose about 120lbs total...obviously I have a way to go...

I've been thinking about revising from band to RNY...My mother has had great success and my band doctor offered to do the revision. Just a bit scared about the whole thing at the moment!

I'm very excited - my band is being removed on Monday! Then about 4 weeks till I can do abdominal exercises, and then my RNY will be 2/23. I just know that 2009 is going to be a great year for me :Yawn:

I had my preop appt on Tues, and they found I have gallstones, so I'll be having my gallbladder removed Monday as well!

I'll keep everyone posted :thumbup:

So your doc is doing removal of band and revision to rny in two separate surgeries? Is there any reason for this? Just being nosy! I'm so excited to see other people going through the same things that I'm going through...

He says the stomach needs time to return to its original shape and to heal before he will do the revision to bypass, so I have to wait 6 weeks in between surgeries