Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I am 24 days post op and was wondering why I'm not losing weight as fast as others!! I'm a bit frustrated to tell you the truth! I'm down about 10 lbs and I read others that are down like 20 by now!! I have done well on the diet, liquids for two weeks and last week only creamy Soups and this week barely starting solids, so what is up!!! I know I can't be eating more than 1000 or so calories a day, so why am I not losing? Yea yea yea, I know that everyone is different, but it just makes no sense. I haven't been able to really exercise yet, and seem to be retaining a lot of Fluid, as I can't even wear my rings and my watch is tight. Should I try a diuretic to get rid of the Fluid? I am getting all my Water and stuff, so that's not an issue, plus I am having very little carbs. I'd like any help from others, and I guess just mainly support, as at this point I feel like this was a mistake, because I can't really eat and I'm not losing weight very fast. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Darie

San Antonio, Texas

6/16/08 260lbs

now 250

goal 170

Everybody does loses at a different rate. I had my surgery Jan 8 and lost 40lbs by March. It is now July and I am at the same 40lbs. At first I was discouraged and then I realized at least I am not gaining. What I can tell you is exercise can make the difference. My nutritionist made one big suggestion and although you may feel like you can not exercise much, weights, even light ones are great. Stop comparing yourself and keep trying your hardest.:blink:

Hey! Congrats on the weightloss. I was banded a month before you and have lost 28lbs. but didn't lose anything for almost three weeks.

You might be retaining fluids from the surgery still. My Dr. would not let me take my diuretic after surgery but still permitted me to take my diovan.

I really think that the key to my weightloss...which I consider to be slow...is documenting every single thing that I put into my mouth. EVERYTHING. I keep track of it all on www.thedailyplate.com and I keep my caloric intake between 800-1000 calories with 64oz of Fluid a day.

I was super down about my slow weightloss even a month out of surgery but I just kept to it and it's now becoming more consistent.

I had the same experience.... didn't lose much at all in the first month after surgery, but now it's starting to come off more steadily. They tell us that the time between surgery and your first fill is for healing, not weight loss, but of course we still all hope to lose! One thing that did help me start losing again, I think, was that I started cutting down on carbs. I don't go to extremes but I try to keep my carbs lower than 15% of my daily intake. Don't worry, you will start losing!

I was banded on June 23...when I met with my dr. a week after surgery she told me to just focus on healing...she told me not to worry about weight loss yet...my goal these weeks has been to feel well enough to take my dog for a daily walk..with the reduced calories I get tired real easy, but today I walked the dog far enough to wear him out.

It's great that you are sticking to the food progression...focus on healing not on the weight loss right now...do something wonderful for yourself as a congratulations you made it through the surgery and are well on your way to full healing...I plan on having a pedicure in the very near future...

We have to be patient...but we will start loosing soon enough...Keep strong, have courage, keep focused :blink: you can do it

hi, I can feel your pain! I was banded 6-16-08 and I gained 5 pounds the week after my surgery!!!!!! and then I lost about a pound a day for 11 days and now it has completely stopped!!!! my pants are still getting a little looser every day and I am on the treadmill faithfully every day, but it is the most discouraging thing in the world to work so hard, and watch your family eating everything in sight and not budging that scale. Any other diet, I would have quit by now, but I guess thats the beauty of the band. u just cant quit when you want to. so good luck to you and me both!!!! hang in there. I;m so glad i'm not alone!:lol:

Okay so i had surgery on the 27th, they say the first 6 weeks is about healing so i so i have not weighed my self yet, i will find out what i weigh on the 29th, its tough but after reading so many posts about people so worried im glad i have made the commitment. So maybe don't weigh your self for a few weeks, don't stress, stress will keep weight loss slow! Your gonna do great!!

Darie, I am an RN. You can still be retaining fluids from surgery. But it should start coming off within next week. Make sure you drink at least 64ozs of Water each day, even a little more if possible. That will help flush it out. Congrats on staying with your meal plan!! How much Protein are you getting in each day? Do at least 60gms. And the cream Soups you are doing, watch the sodium because this too will retain Fluid. As far as exercise, nothing drastic since you're still in the 6wk post-op phase. But do keep the walking up. This too will also help with fluid retention. Keep your chin and spirits up!!

Hey all!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really need it right now, and I am getting my Protein and Water in, and you're right, nurse, I do think I'm still retaining Water from just the procedure. I also had a hernia repair, a DNC and ablation and an exploratory "look see" in my pelvic region, so I had a bit more done than normal!! I plan on getting some good walking shoes(I have severe planar fascitiis in my left foot, darn) today and also have a pool out back, so maybe more movement will get the Fluid off. Do you think a diuretic is a bad idea? I don't know that much about them really. Thanks again and good luck to us all!!!

God bless,

Darie

San Antonio

Banded 6/16/08

i hear you! i am 6 weeks out and have struggled to lose half as much as many others here. i just had my first fill and feel no restriction. it is so frustrating, but i am told that the slower losers at first often catch up. i also have a thyroid problem and went on meds a few months ago so am hoping that might help. good luck and don't give up!!!

IM DOWN 20LBS SINCE FEB ...I AM A LOW BMI BANDSTER EVERY LBS WAS A STRUGGLE ...I HAVE TO WORK OUT EVERYDAY NOT 3 X 30 MIN EASY WALKING DAYS ..FULL ON WORK OUTS AT LEAST A HR OF HARD CORE CARDIO IF YOU LOOK ON HERE MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING REAL WT LOSS ARE REALLY RUNNING AND WEIGHT LIFTING ...CARDIO CARDIO JUST DO IT ,,WITH YOUR DOC CONSENT :cool: