Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT is going on? 3 days - 3 PB's

What is the deal? I had a fill on 5/4 and did my 3 days of liquids even though DR said 24 hours. Everything going ok and then WHAM! My first PB. Felt like a HUGE burning bubble and then the saliva starts and running to the bathroom. I'm guessing that's exactly what it was - correct? PB????!!!!

I hear it is possible to feel the restriction a week or two after the fill and am I not being careful enough with food maybe? I was stressing Friday night before it started. Afterward I immediately stopped eating and then WHAM - again the next morning. I should have probably done liquids for 24 hours but thought I felt ok. This morning and afternoon were fine and then WHAMMO - again this evening.

WHAT is going on? I'm not eating anything different, maybe I'm not concentrating enough on chewing well? Or, do you think it has to do with "that time of the month"? It will be the first cycle since the fill. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive during those days?

All of the above. Actually, when I slime and get the hurt chest feeling and it's very uncomfortable, etc, even if it doesn't come back up (which is technically a PB) and it ends up passing through, I treat it as a PB and do liquids. So take it easy, or easier! You can really get yourself into a downward spiral with things getting stuck. Some folks will have a fill kick in weeks later, some will have trouble during that time of the month, and many have one episode which brings on another and another.

Chew chew, make it your goal to eat things that go on past the band, rather than staying up top like you normally would eating like a Big Girl Bandster. Go back to recovery/healing stage like you did post-surgery and let the area heal. Mushies, etc. Give it some time, especially after all these episodes.

And read other posts, too. You are not the only one and you are right on track for diagnosing the problem. It will get better, just go slow.

Guest j. lynn

Your band can get tighter because of stress. I had this happen when I had to go to St. Louis for a few days. The trip wasn't stressful, but I never felt that I had enough time to eat.

Many people notice that their bands get tighter during their period -- well, right before it and when it first starts. My theory, you ask? Alot of women retain Water before their period (thus the weight gain)...I think that affects the band too. Causes things ALL OVER to swell.

Also, when you have a PB, you should back off a little bit. If your first PB was bad enough, your stomach might have been irritated because of the PB making you even tighter than you were before. This is very common -- alot of surgeons recommend going back to liquids for 12-24 hours after a PB because of this.

The restriction may have kicked in. Alot of people swear that they don't feel their fill until 2 weeks after it. I haven't ever experienced this and I personally can't figure out the "science" behind it, but so many people have said it, that I just got to believe it to be true.

SO....in my opinion, go back to liquids for 24 hours. Then start solids again, but VERY SLOWLY. Cut what you think is a bite, then cut it in 1/2. Chew that 20 times. Then swallow. See if that helps.

jayme

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

If you have an PB epsiode, it can cause swelling which is why many doctors want 24 hrs of liquids after a PB or you will have a vicious cycle. Eat , PB, Eat,PB, get the drift? You PBd, you are swollen it is no wonder you are continuing to PB. Also be careful, I did not follow my Dr's instructions and continued to eat after a PB. BIG MISTAKE, I got the worst case of Esophagitis, not fun, I would not wish that on my worst enemy. Very Painful!!

If once you have done liquids and you PB again, I wouldcall your Dr. and maybe have a little taken out. Pbing more then once a week is not good for your band and could result in your band slipping. Having as little as .2 removed will make a huge difference in being able to eat without Pbing but also give good restriction.

Good luck :D

Thanks everyone! Today was a good day - no problems at all. I took it very slow and took very small bites and took my time eating. I seemed to be slipping back into my "normal" eating routine of eating on the run and forgetting about the band. The band used to consume so much of my thoughts but now I sometimes forget. Not about what to eat but "how" to eat.

I'm also kind of disappointed I'm not losing faster and really expected some miracle I think after the fill. I'm definitely not losing hope but realizing this will take more time and will be slower than the other 2 times I lost 100 pounds. I'm 10 years older now and I have to balance my family, career and my personal needs better than I did over the past 2 weight losses. Dieting used to consume me. I tend to be a perfectionist and do everything 150% but I realize this is a life change - not a diet so it's going to be slower. I will NOT put the weight back on again - period!!!! Thanks again for all of the suggestions and affirmations of what I was thinking!!!

Guest j. lynn

"I'm definitely not losing hope but realizing this will take more time and will be slower than the other 2 times I lost 100 pounds. "

It might be slower this time, but it will be permanent this time! Obviously, you gained the weight backafter losing it, but this time the band will help you keep it off.

That said -- keep the faith. For most people it takes 3-5 fills to have good restriction. You're newly banded. Focus on the changes you can make without having to have good restriction -- food choices, Water intake, following the bandster rules, exercising. It will all come together. I promise.