Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This does get better right?

Well, I am on my 4th day post-op day and I still am moving soo slow and tired all the time. It does get better right? When did everyone else start to have new found energy? I could sleep all day. The left side where my port is hurts all the time which travels all the way up to my chest and neck. Anyone else have this issue? I think that I just wasn't prepared as to how hard this recovery was gonna be. I know each day should get better but I wish it would start soon.

:thumbup:

The best way to get your energy up is to walk, walk, walk! Even if you're just walking for a few minutes around your house, or to the end of your driveway, block, etc...it's also gonna help you get rid of those troublesome gas pains. As far as the pain in your port, it's normal for you to feel soreness around that area post-op, but if your gut is telling you something is wrong, mention it to your doctor and see what he has to say about it.

Things will get better soon, so keep positive!! Congrats on being banded :thumbup:

It definitely gets better! Post op for me the port made itself known but the gas pains were the worst. I took sips of Water, used up ALL of my pain meds, walked around AND slept and I used GasX. That all helped me get through. I didn't feel better until about the 8th day and some days are better that others. Hang in there!!

It will get better. Promise. Walk as much as you can, then sleep. sleep, sleep, sleep.

My recovery took longer than I expected too.

It definitely gets better! I am 9 days out and have boundless energy. I took a 30 minute walk this morning, and 2 hours later I was marching in front of the tv trying to expend excess energy. I walked around my yard a couple of times the first few days out which helped too. I have no real pain; only some site soreness and occasional gas pains.

Hang in there! :thumbup:

I agree with everyone---I am 12 days out and I am treading on the tread mill 20 minuts a day, and taking a walk around the neighborhood! Moving helps. My first 3 days were tough and then each day has gotten better and better. Hang in there! 20 lbs down 80 more to go.

Has anyone had spasms of the stomach when first banded? I was banded on Monday, the 30th....after about 1 day post-op I developed a spasm of my stomach (which is uncomfortable) not lasting but a few seconds...It doesn't matter whether I have just drank somethimg cold, warm, or anything...I can just wake up and it will start to do that....I have had terrible soreness but mild gas pains...

thanks everyone for their advice and positive input!! Today is post op day 4 and I managed to walk 4 10 minutes intervals. Really helps the gast thing. I have had terrible diaarrhea now for 24 hours but I think that is finally improving. I still have a lot of pain in my port area though. I just catch myself wanting something to eat not drink....even a cracker would taste good. Is this head hunger or what?

:thumbup:

Wow!! OH Juli...you have lost 128 pounds...do you feel like a whole new person? What a success you are. What have you found to be the most helpful? Way to go!!!!!!!!

hi, newkimberly, i found i felt better all of a sudden - rather than a little at a time. just suddenly, i felt normal. about day 9 or so for me (i had a hernia fix too so i think it took a little longer than otherwise) and it's been better all the time since then. i had diareah too - thru the liquids phase into soft foods then it stopped. i took pepto chewables if i had to leave the house during that phase! they definately helped. good luck and yes, it definately gets better.

THanks for the advice...funny how my scenario is exactly how your is. I also had a hernia repair done and then had terrible diarrhea for 2 days but finally yesterday which was day #5 I felt quite a bit better and today #6 already seems even better. Just anxious to get these staples out. Wednesday is my dr day. How much weight have you lost or did you lose in the first 2 weeks? I am already at 12 pounds. I know a lot is fluids but thats fine with me. Thanks again for the advice!!

It took me a (surprising) full 4 weeks to get back to fairly regular energy levels without a spacey head & shakey hands.

hi there! glad you are feeling better! i lost 11 lbs post-surgery and have leveled off and now am not losing. i have lost 25 total since i started Optifast on 5/1 (stopped that just before surgery - was to lose some pre-surgery weight). that is a miracle for me - to say i've lost 25 lbs. it has been at least 10 years since i was able to do that.

what's odd to me is i can't eat much of anything and i'm not losing. even tho i haven't had my first fill (july 14th). i hear people saying they don't lose but that they can eat whatever they want. i can't - 1 cup max and that's only if it's a very mushy thing. sometimes 1/2 cup.

it's a 'wait and see' kind of thing i think. i am not up to my pre-surgery exercise level yet - just slow walking on the treadmill and dog walking every day. i could do a much harder cardio workout before. and weights. off weights until 6 weeks.

i have found since surgery that i have to listen closely to my body (and i think this is a good thing to learn). if i am tired - i stop and rest. if not, i do my normal stuff. this is such a HUGE learning experience for me. i'm really enjoying that part of it. i like a challenge and learing how to make this band work for me is a great (huge, interesting) challenge. not that i don't get down when i weigh myself and nothing's going on - i just say give it time. i will figure this out! today, i said, heck no scale. i am lucky - it's not going up.

hope you all made it thru 4th of july with no food problems. i did well. i think some of it is fear of eating and hurting myself! for now, that works.

I had surgery on 7/1. I feel much better now. But I still have pain in my left shoulder. Nothing seems to help. I take Gas X strips, walk, etc but am not getting much relief from the shoulder pain. Belly soreness is much, much better. Planning to return to work on 7/7 so I hope that more I move around, the gas pain will get better.