Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill - feeling no restriction - is this normal

I had my first fill just yesterday. I have a 12 cc band. The Dr. said I had 1 cc in it already and added another 5 cc's. So, I have a total of 6 cc's. I did my liquid yesrday with Protein and could not tell the difference. This morning I had oatmeal and feel the same way. I am not feeling any different. Is this normal or do I have to give it a few days? Any comments and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I thought for sure I would feel something. I was told that if I felt nothing after a week to come in and they would do another fill. That is good so I don't have to wait but it also makes me nervous that if I get to 12 cc's and still nothing then what.

i have a 10cc band and i now have 6.5 cc in it. i am now having restriction for the first time. so i know the true meaning of band- hell. you have to keep going getting fills until you have restriction. really, nobody told me it would be like this. thank goodness i didn't go to mexico. i had my band since 10/07 and have lost 18#s. on the flip side, i haven't gained 18#'s/ i got my last fill tuesday and i've got my fingers crossed. i'm ready to lose some major #'s now. i know the disappointment of not losing. but they keep telling me to hang in there that this will work. (dr). starting weight 221 current 204. any words of wisdom anybody? :thumbup:

i have a 10cc band and i now have 6.5 cc in it. i am now having restriction for the first time. so i know the true meaning of band- hell. you have to keep going getting fills until you have restriction. really, nobody told me it would be like this. thank goodness i didn't go to Mexico. i had my band since 10/07 and have lost 18#s. on the flip side, i haven't gained 18#'s/ i got my last fill tuesday and i've got my fingers crossed. i'm ready to lose some major #'s now. i know the disappointment of not losing. but they keep telling me to hang in there that this will work. (dr). starting weight 221 current 204. any words of wisdom anybody? :thumbup:

I think if you are finally feeling restriction you are on your way to weight loss. Can you tell me how it feels to have restriction and the feeling of fullness? Maybe I am not thinking what I think should be the feeling of fullness. I just know we have to hang in there even though we had hard times and rough roads. :)

amy, it's really hard to explain, other than if you try to eat something too dry or too fast, it feels like it gets hung. then it feels like you've stuck your finger down your throat. gaggie like, and hurts. so you'll think twice about what you've just stuck in your mouth. not real pleasant. so the chew, chew,chew thing is a priority. also, do not drink anything while eating or up to 20 minutes afterwards. that's a hard habit to break. hope this helps.,

but really, if anyone says this is easy or a quick fix. that is WRONG! by far the hardest thing i've have ever done. to get to where i'm at has been mentally and physcially draining, to say the least.>

I agree that this is not an easy thing. My brother was so supportive when I did WW and then when I decided to do the surgery he said I was taking the easy way out. In no way do I feel that this was an easy way out. It still takes a lot of work. I just dont understand why anyone cannot be supportive of whatever one decides to do. I have realized I dont need his permission and dont care what he thinks. I have to take care of myself.

amy, you might want to check how much they put in, i would say they only put in .05cc's not 5.cc's. they will put in .05 at a time. that's why it takes so long to get the proper restriction. it's a hassel. but hopefully worth it, in the end result.

people don't like what they really don't understand. and to have problem with your weight your entire wakeing life is no way to live. it's light in the tunnel for people like us. just keep trying. and wanting a healthier life.

I was thinking that same thing. I thought - wow that is an waful lot for the first time. I feel good that my Dr. is at least going to be somewhat aggressive with the fills. On the 7th day I will be calling for another one if I dont feel anything.

I got my first fill today 1.5cc's. I was surprised that he had to stab the port. I almost lost it then....and I have no fear of needles. He said I wouldn't feel any big restriction yet and I don't. He told be to be patient and everybody's different. Has anyone else felt the stab?

witchbabe I was banded the day after you and had my first fill 20 days post op. He put in 3cc's so I now have 5 total and I wouldn't say he stabbed the port he injected into the port. It was only a slight prick and really didn't hurt at all. I was surprised he didn't do it with an x-ray but he said he doesn't like to use one unless he has no other options. My port sticks out so much anyway I could probably do my own fill.:thumbup:

I was pleasantly suprised with my first fill. My doc numbed the area first, which as virtually painless, then he pushed around on my side to find my port injection site and injected into it. You could feel a "pop" sensation when the needle penetrated the port. But it was painless and quick. I got 1cc on that fill. I felt restriction for a few days, then nothing. I think the restriction I felt was from swelling. But the weight started to come off for those days. I go again July 9, hopefully he'll do another fill. Im getting discouraged waiting so long for results.:thumbup: