Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I just signed up with LBT and thought I would properly introduce myself. I am interested in getting banded and am scheduled for a one on one consultation with a Lap Band surgeon July 29th. I am trying to remain patient until then, but I am just so dang excited to meet with him! I have been researching WLS for the last 3 years and have finally had enough of following the fad diet, losing weight, then gaining it back plus some! I picked the band because it was more versatile then RNY and you lose at a better rate (then just WOOOOSH!).

Anyway, I am here and ready to learn! :lol:

I am also in Colorado. I am a self pay with Dr. Tillquist in Englewood. Good luck to you! I had surgery on May 29th, and have lost 22 lbs since surgery so I am delighted so far. Which surgeon are you meeting?

CDroppindown ~ Congrats on the weight loss! That is fantastic!! I have chosen Dr. Kirshenbaum at Lap Band of the Rockies. How was your recovery time? I am thinking of taking 2 weeks from work, but only have 40 hours of vacation, so may have to take 40 hours of unpaid time off (if my job lets me that is).

KayleighsMommy ~ I am also from Aurora. How are you feeling? Was it painful? How much time did you take off from work (if you work that is)?

I had knee surgery last year (laparoscopic as well) to clean up torn cartilage and remove excess bone. I had to take Percocet because it hurt so badly. I am a little afraid of the pain. I am also looking forward to getting this surgery though because I am sick of playing the weight game. I know that even with the band I will still have to play the game, but at least I will have something working WITH me instead of against me.

I went with Dr Melniczek. His office is in Denver, right by the aquarium. I did a self pay, due to insurance issues (and the need for additional hernia surgery) I liked Dr Mel, but he is moving out of state soon.

My surgery was particularly rough due to the hernia repair, I am starting to feel quite a bit better 6 days post op. The gas is still killing me, though. The surgeons are pretty good at giving you pain meds. (liquid Vicodin) Most people seem to only use it for a day or two. I am a wimp, and still using it ocassionally.

Congrats on starting your journey.

Hi Nicole,

Welcome, I am in CO too. My surgeon is/was Dr. Snyder at Rose. The hard part is the waiting for the day to get here. I had very little pain, I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I also had a hernia repair, though didn't know I had it until I woke up.

Thanks Long2BThin! How common are hernias? I have heard of others needing to have them repaired and either getting them then and there or having to schedule surgery at a later date.

Thanks Long2BThin! How common are hernias? I have heard of others needing to have them repaired and either getting them then and there or having to schedule surgery at a later date.

Hi Nicole,

I think I just responed to you over at Obesity Help too. It seems many have had a hernia repaired while being banded with a lot of them not knowing ahead of time they had them. But I'm not sure how common it is. I had also gone to a seminar with Dr. Johnell up in Lafayette, but the surgery would've been in Greeley had I gone to him (which is part of the reason I didn't) anyway he said in his seminar he sees a lot of hernias in the OR and automatically fixes them as well.

Hi Nicole,

I think I just responed to you over at Obesity Help too. It seems many have had a hernia repaired while being banded with a lot of them not knowing ahead of time they had them. But I'm not sure how common it is. I had also gone to a seminar with Dr. Johnell up in Lafayette, but the surgery would've been in Greeley had I gone to him (which is part of the reason I didn't) anyway he said in his seminar he sees a lot of hernias in the OR and automatically fixes them as well.

Wow! That kinda sucks! Does it make your recovery time any longer than normal?

Yeah you are talking to me on OH as well. I noticed that when you wrote to me this last time. HAHA!! :biggrin2:

Wow! That kinda sucks! Does it make your recovery time any longer than normal?

Yeah you are talking to me on OH as well. I noticed that when you wrote to me this last time. HAHA!! :biggrin2:

For me no, my recovery was pretty smooth so don't think it hindered it at all. But everyone is different and that's not the case for everyone. One incision seems to have taken longer to heal up than the rest, and it wasn't the port one, so I am wondering if it's the one they did the hernia repair through.

Glad you found this board. There's a lot of info here and I find it easier to navigate the OH one.

I had surgery on Friday, went back to work on Monday. I have a fairly physical job. It was fine, I was just tired by 2 or so for the first week. Then it was full steam ahead. I have also had a few knee surgeries, I used to be a runner (very ironic) and had torn my acl 2 times. The lap band was WAY easier than knee surgeries. The gas was the only hard part. It is not bad at all and it certainly makes you not want to eat which is the whole point of surgery. Good luck!

I had surgery on Friday, went back to work on Monday. I have a fairly physical job. It was fine, I was just tired by 2 or so for the first week. Then it was full steam ahead. I have also had a few knee surgeries, I used to be a runner (very ironic) and had torn my acl 2 times. The lap band was WAY easier than knee surgeries. The gas was the only hard part. It is not bad at all and it certainly makes you not want to eat which is the whole point of surgery. Good luck!

Wow! I've heard that torn ACL surgery is the WORST knee surgery you can have and you had it twice?! Yikes! Well, you have put my mind at ease that it won't be comfortable (of course!) but it also isn't so bad. I think it is all how you look at it, temporary pain for permanent success! :thumbup:

Nicole

I'm in Broomfield and used Dr. Johnell. He was wonderful, has the most amazing practice and my insurance BS of CA was approved in a week. I can't say enough great things. PM me if you want to talk.