Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was positive that the lap band was right for me and was definitely going to do it in the fall. Well, I have been reading a lot about it and I'm worried that I'm not committed enough and that I won't be able to do it. I have felt very out of control with eating lately, even more so than usual. What if I don't lose weight and I've gone through all of that? But at this point I also feel like I need SOMETHING to help me curb my eating and help all of my health problems!

Two things to consider:

1. Is another weight loss surgery right for you?

2. Will you be any worse off if you get the lap band?

It is not easy. It is not a magic pill. But it is designed to make it a little easier and more manageable for people to lose weight. I am still a newbie, but good luck in your decision!

I was out of control with my eating too. Now, I am finally in control. Hunger is not an issue anymore, unless it is head hunger. It is sooo much easier now than before. I was a consistent overeater before. Now I cant overeat. I never grazed much but when I did eat, I wanted to eat alot. I love my band and only regret I didnt do it sooner.

I was very worried that I would fail with the band. but the band is there to help you and for me it does just that. you can over eat with the band but it wont be a pretty picture if you start to vomit. maybe your eating is out of control because you think that you wont be able to eat again after surgery? I know that I would have continued to gain had I not got that bad so even if I only lost 30 pounds it would be a step in the right direction.

dont sell yourself short by thinking you wont be able to do it. you never know what you can do until you try!!

good luck

:sad:Wow - you read my mind! I'm in month 4 of 6 of my pre-op program and I know this is the right decision for me - but I can't seem to get these old eating habits out of my system!!!

I'm supposed to be eating three high Protein meals per day plus two healthy Snacks - well, I just keep telling myself that I'll start it tomorrow (same old excuse I've been using for the past 5 years!). I haven't lost any weight (haven't gain any either ). I do exercise sometimes - but everytime I get into the habit, my foot starts hurting (tendinitis) or my back hurts, or I just hurt.

I can't stop thinking that I'll never be able to change over to a healthy way of eating and living - I wonder if the only people that are successful with the lapband are the ones that made significant changes PRIOR to surgery?????

HELP

I totally understand where you are coming from and how you feel. I am 12 days away from surgery and I to am worried I am going to fail at this like I have everything else. I was really good on my 3 month pre-op diet. Than I got off and I have been waiting for 3 more months to get the surgery. In that time my bad eating habits have come back. Not really bad but bad. I put back on six of the 36 lbs that I lost. I am now doing the two week liquid diet and want to scream. I know with the bad things will get easier and I won't be hungry and I will know I can't eat that bad food. So just hang in there be strong it will happen. We will be successful. I haven't exercised at all I still lost weight. I know how you feel with your foot I have the same thing. So try to make small changes and they weight just might start coming off. Good Luck!

:sad:Wow - you read my mind! I'm in month 4 of 6 of my pre-op program and I know this is the right decision for me - but I can't seem to get these old eating habits out of my system!!!

I'm supposed to be eating three high Protein meals per day plus two healthy Snacks - well, I just keep telling myself that I'll start it tomorrow (same old excuse I've been using for the past 5 years!). I haven't lost any weight (haven't gain any either ). I do exercise sometimes - but everytime I get into the habit, my foot starts hurting (tendinitis) or my back hurts, or I just hurt.

I can't stop thinking that I'll never be able to change over to a healthy way of eating and living - I wonder if the only people that are successful with the lapband are the ones that made significant changes PRIOR to surgery?????

HELP

in my opinion this is not true. I did my 6 month supervised diet just because I knew it was needed for insurance reasons. I didnt lose any weight nor did I really make changes to my eat or exercise habits - Im not saying this is a good thing but its how I did. and I feel that so far I have been successful with my band. For me the band changed something within me and I am a new person. yes I still eat somethings that are not good for me but even skinny people eart "treats" every once in a while.

HELP

I am going to state my honest opinion about this but I don't intend to hurt anyones feelings.

It is true that band does not help everyone, but it does help most people who have it. However, you have to have some basic level of commitment to the new lifestyle. You don't have to be perfect (and none of us are perfect) but you do have to try to eat healthy and make the right decisions more often than not to make it work.

It is very possible to eat around the band with the best intentions of "I'll really start tomorrow, but today I have excuse __, __, & ___ why I will not do it today." If you are on month 4 or 6 and you have not even started attempting to eat healthy and follow recommendations, it would be unfair to say of course the lapband will do the work for you and you will automatically have great success.

If you really want to make a change in your life, if it really is important for you, you need to take personal responsibility and ownership of where you are . . . and start making decisions that support a healthier you. It doesn't mean follow the diet perfectly, it means taking the steps, even if they are small steps to start with, in the right direction (drinking more Water, getting exercise in whatever form is comfortable as long as you are moving, attempting to eat healthier for most meals according to your docters recommendations).

As within anything in life, you have to put something into it to take something away from it.

Edited by HeatherO
typo

Thanks for the pep talk! Your surgery is next week - congratulations!! I'll be looking forward to hearing how you're doing - good luck!!