Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After the band, what about co-morbids?

I'm interested to hear how the band has improved peoples co-morbidities.

I do have diabetes and there is indications that with bypass surgery goes away, but I have also heard that it can get better and off meds with the band. My doctor is trying to push me toward the bypass surgery.

Also what about sleep apnea?

I have all the co-morbids so besides wanting to look better and be more comfortable, I really need the weight loss for health reasons.

I really need some more insight. I desperate to get this surgery.

Anne

These are questions probably best answered by your doctor who is equipped with hard research to back his opinions. He's also familiar with your particular case. If you don't trust what your doctor is telling you, get a second and third opinion.

Hi TravelLady,

I understand what you mean about getting healthier and losing the co-morbidities. I am a type 2 diabetic with sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I was banded June 5th (will be a month this Thursday). Since the surgery, my sleep apnea is gone. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time and apparently that took care of that problem. My insulin is at 1/3 of what I was on. I am already off one of my blood pressure medications. Still have one to go. I have lost 22 lbs since my pre-op diet.

The National Institutes of Health actually has published statistics on reversal of co-morbidities for both lap band and bypass. For lap band, I believe the diabetes reversal rate is about 85%. They have found an almost 100% cure rate with gastric bypass because the duodenum is severed and for some reason that causes a total reversal. The research on that phenomenon is just now underway. I thought the stats for lap band were pretty darn good for a much less invasive procedure, but you might want to check out their website www.nih.gov

I wish you lots of luck!

My surgeon said that 85% of people with sleep apnea get relief when they lose weight. I'm really hoping so....would love to come of my Bipap!

I didn't have issues with sleep apnea and diabetes, although there is a family history of diabetes. My fasting blood sugar did tend to run high, so I was on my way there.

Before surgery, my blood pressure was starting to get into the borderline range. Friday at the doctor's office, it was 25 points lower on the top number. That shows me that the little bit of weight loss so far is already making me healthier.

Mary:

Thanks for your reply. It's so good to hear that your BP, sleep Apenea and type 2 diabetes have gotten better since your banding. I also have those same medical problems and am your same age, so I feel that you are a great example for me. This helps put my mind at ease, because my physicians have been no help, when it comes to Lap Band informaion.

Anne from Pasadena, Ca

Anne, you are so welcome. I really understand how important it is (and comforting) to know there are others with the same issues and they can get better. Do you have a surgery date yet?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches