Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6/23 Gurgling, burping and gas oh my

Hi Everyone,

I was banded June 23 and am now 4 days post-op.

I have been doing pretty good but notice that my stomach is gurgling a lot and I feel like a have to burp but can't. I can't inhale because it hurts my stomach and shoulder so bad. I suspect that is gas. I have been taking the gas x and drinking herbal tea. Also I have had some diarrhea Is all this normal.?

I have been following my diet and just drinking my Protein drinks, broth, Jello, and the sugar free popsicles and Water. However, I did want something different today and made myself some cream of potato Soup and blended my portion in my magic bullet it was delicious. :) I was getting worried that I hadn't lost any weight since Monday but today i got on the scale and it was down a few pounds. I am now down

16 pounds from beginning my pre-op.

I found the surgery to be a lot worst than I expected perhaps because i'm older and was thinking Wednesday there was no way I could go to work this Monday. But I think I can however, I may just work half days.

I am really happy I have done this and wanted to let you guys know that I have gained much information from all of you before I made this journey and I know you will be there for me as I continue. Me and my lap -band Talulah (yes I named my band) Thank you

Hi JSJA =)

Ditto, ditto, ditto - down to the same date! I was banded on Monday as well - experiencing the same symptoms you listed. I've been told it will get better with time and walking. I had the most physical activity today since surgery and my tummy is settling a little. We'll hang in there together!

Ree

Hi guy's,

I just got banded on Thursday 26th and I am too experiencing much of what you have said. I thought that the liquids would be easy to take but I guess our stomchs are still getting used to having a foreign object around them. I seem to feel restriction with even small sips of shakes etc. Like you I hope all of this is normal. I don't regret having it done but I too am a little older and this is the first operation that has really knocked me. Lucky my doctor has given me 3 weeks off work because there is no way I would be able to go back after one like some of the other people that have posted on this site.

I have a house full of people, my partners son and my daughters friends all sitting around watching movies and eating pizzas while I am upstairs checking out the site and sipping very slowly on a lovely banana and raspberry smoothie.

I hope as the days go by things will get a little easier I am still in quite a lot of discomfort.

Deb

I joined the band on Tuesday, the 24th and have all the same symptoms. Who knew our stomachs could make such weird noises! and yes, the big D has set in here too! Walking really helps the gas just becareful because of the big D - I can even sleep on my sides but my shoulder pain has not gone away - better but still hurts. I can honestly say that everday has been better than the last - yesterday I felt so good I went shopping - ok - so I felt like crap when I got home but it was so good to get out and about - I even drove! Let's look toward the brighter days ahead. Hang in there - it is worth it! MM

Hello everyone. I too was banded June 23 and am also experiencing the same symptoms. I swear if they stuck a pin in my stomach, I would act like a balloon and you would never find me. I tried to work a few hours yesterday and I literally made myself sick. I couldn't function and even ran a low grade fever. I am taking GasX and it too is not helping much. I am walking and staying active but the gas pushes out my stomach and I look 6 months pregnant. It doesn't hurt, it just makes my stomach feel very full and puts pressure on the incisions. Now I have started the burping. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired so don't know if that complicates the problem more. How much longer with this gas?:tt2:

I'll be in this boat next week. Please keep talking, I want to be prepared!

Have you climbed stairs post op? I'll want to sleep in my bed (the couch is awful!) right away.

Climbing stairs is not a problem. Also, sleeping in your bed works great. A little hard to turn and get out of bed but you can. Just the first 2 days are difficult muscle wise. Couldn't turn to my sides till 3rd day. Good luck.

Ha! We could be twins! I'm 51, too, and was banded on 6/23. I've had exactly the same symptoms... yesterday I just wanted to poke a pin in my tummy to get that gas out! I'm trying to make myself walk, but it's already 90 degrees outside; so I'm doing laps around the house :tt2:

We'll get through this...