Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not able to count calories

Hello there!

I'm currently in bandster hell and waiting for my first fill (mid July). My problem is that I cannot keep an accurate count of my calorie intake. I'm Asian and the foods that I eat is not listed anywhere on the web so that makes it very hard to know who much calories I'm taking in daily. Somedays I'll lose 2 lbs then the next gain 3 lbs:cursing: So I've just been eating sensible and limiting my food intake...using sheer will power. Some days though I feel that I'm not getting in enough calories. Anyone have this problem? Any advice?

look at all your packaging that your foods come in, other than that i dunno ask your doc :embaressed_smile:

perhaps for a while you can eat a simpler diet. You should be eating a mostly Protein diet anyway without all those heavy sauces. If you look at pre-packaged Asian foods you would be shocked by the high calorie count!

Good luck!

I'm not banded yet, but I am on 1200-1600 calories a day high Protein low sugar no carbination thats it and exercise :embaressed_smile: im on the 6 month diet for insurance hehe

Do the foods you eat contain a lot of sodium....soy sauce, etc? If so, you could be retaining a lot of Water. I know when I eat at a chinese restaurant, I swell and retain water bad. I know real chinese food is different than american chinese food but still, if you are using soy sauce, that could be the cause.

If you make your food you are going to have to measure and calculate the individual ingredients in your food. If you are eating pre-packaged processed food then you should still be able to see the nutritional content on the back of the package...that is if you are living in the United States as all imports must have nutritional values listed.

Like someone else suggested you might want to consider taking in your Protein first and then vegetables. If you are consuming high carbs in the form of white rice and noodles then that might be one of your problems. The daily plate has a fairly comprehensive listing of asian foods that you should take a look at. It might give you some ideas of how to calculate your daily caloric intake.

Good luck!

My suggestion is to visit a nutritionist. They are trained to assess any dietary intake and calculate calories etc. There should be no reason you cannot continue an ethnic diet, you may have to make some adjustments and the nutritionist should be able to assist. Good Luck!

Tammygirl

Go to a site called thedailyplate.com

I has a place wher eyoucan make meals. I use it to do recipes and then figure my portion of them. I have found it very helpful that way. I agree with the sodium thing but you will see that if use this site. You rally shouldn't be on the scale everyday anyway. My wight will vary that much as well. Once a week is plenty if not to much.

Good luck I hope this helps you.

We (my wife and I) use a program called Calorie King. It cost about $45 to download. So far it has everything we've tried to find in it.