Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else eating clean?

Since my surgery I've had a real problem with the way my nutritionist thinks WLS patients should eat. They really push the low carb/ketosis thing and lots of processed low-fat, sugar-free foods. Add to that the fact that I have a very hard time keeping my carbs that low and it seems I was destined to fail it. Anyway, I've naturally been progressing to an eating lifestyle that included whole, natural, fresh foods from all the food groups. Lots of lean Proteins, whole grains, healthy carbs, Calcium rich dairy items - they are all so wonderful. During one of my healthy grocery shopping trips I found a magazine called Clean Eating and finally got a name for how I wanted to eat. Great magazine! It's packed full of information and great recipes. Then I remembered someone I had heard talk - Tosca Reno. She has a book called The Eat-Clean Diet. Went out an bought that yesterday.

Just wondering if anyone else is following this kind of eating lifestyle and what they think. Or anyone have tips or recipes. Or just wanna chat about healthy eating?

I hate to say it, but I think most nutritionists need to just quit their jobs. A lot of them give bad advice and don't know what the hell they are talking about. I say do what you know your body does well with. I follow a mostly south beach diet way of life, but I do need carbs, so I eat whole grain crackers and sometimes mashed or baked potatoes.. This is what my body does well with. Our bodies need carbs so going completely carb free is not good for you. You're doing well so far, do you really need this nutritionist anymore?

Yes, I try to eat "clean" for want of a better desription. I do eat processed foods too, but I try to keep the majority of what I eat fresh and I would never eat a meal that came in a box and lived in the freezer.

To me, a "Protein shake" would be something you made with milk, yogurt, a fresh banana and an egg. I dont think a Protein shake is the root of all evil, but every single day? All that artificial sweetner and soy based Protein? I'd prefer not.

Luckily, what I do is how we're told to eat here in Australia. If I were in the US, I would just plain ignore a nutritionist who advised me to do the high protein/low carb Protein Shake thing. I wouldnt do it.

It MIGHT be the way to lose lots of weight quite fast. That doesnt necessarily make it the best overall diet for your health. In the same way that weight lifters eat high protein diets and look amazing, but cant run round the block or die of heart attacks at 40. What makes your body LOOK incredible isnt necessarily making it healthy.

But that said, I do believe that lowER carb is a good practice, wholegrains are important but nobody really needs white bread.< /p>

I just picked that magazine up last week at the store! I've been thinking a lot of this lately. I've been trying to do better by my 2 year old than how I grew up eating.

We are members of a local organic farm and they put together a box of fresh, in season veggies and fruits for us to pick up every week. They taste amazing! The carrots taste like real carrots should taste! I've been thinking more and more about organic raised beef. We can get that through a supplier from the farm and I'm going to look into it. I try not to over-cooked or process the foods that we're eating and I'm buying less and less of the over-processed garbage at the store.

I've been buying organic milk, cottage cheese and a few freezer foods items that DD especially likes or eats a lot of.

DD is eating whole grain breads (and likes them!), less sugar yogurts and she drinks no juice on a regular basis. Only Water and organic milk, with juice every once in awhile and then it's usually a whole juice of some sort.

We're not perfect and we never will be but we can certainly do the best we can on a daily basis! :ohmy:

It's so funny to watch my son and husband at meal time. They don't know what to do with all the fresh foods I'm shoving at them. Mostly they like what I've made but the new spices and fresh tastes are quite a change for all of us. They have a choice - they can eat what I make or fix something for themselves. Guess what they eat? Healthy!!!!

coolcrystal - I wouldn't see the nutritionist but I have to each appointment. She's okay but not flexible at all. So I just don't tell her. I actually tell the doctor what I'm eating and he's good with most of it. Only thing he has a problem with is the ice cream and I know I shouldn't eat that too.

Jachut - Agree with you soooo much. I remember reading your posts shortly after surgery and thinking "Yep, that's the way a person should eat.". I still keep my carbs on the low side even though they're good carbs (except the ice cream - lol). I'm almost always under 80g for the day and most of the comes from Calcium rich dairy products, fruits and veggies. Once in a great while I'll have some brown rice, low-carb tortillas or couscous.

heartfire - Yay you!! Don't you love that magazine? I made the garlicky spinach and ricotta dip on page 47 - yummy with carrots. The Moroccan Grilled chicken with Cherry and Bulgur salad was good too but I did use couscous instead of bulgur wheat. I want to try the Cucumber and Jicama salad next. I was so sad it's only quarterly. I too am doing it partially for my son. I fed him well for the first year and then fed him and let him eat junk and stuff that didn't nourish his body. He'll thank me later. LOL

I am a "clean" eater. i have never heard it called that, but it describes my family perfectly. We don't eat any processed foods and as much organic and "natural" (kind of a loose term) as we can. I once got into a debate with a nutrtionist about the relative merits of "sugar free" foods with chemical sweeteners- he thought that they were great and I think that they are satan's creation.

I have eaten this way now for about 6 years and I love it!

I just got banded on the 13th. I did a ketosis liquid diet for the required 2 weeks. I am still on liquid, buT I have added back fruit and vegetable juices, spirulina, wheat grass etc, and I feel so much better than on the Protein binge! So much nutrition in those carbs that come from nature!

Edited by KatW
wanted to add something

I don't/won't do low carb. I just don't think it is a healthy way to eat at all. I know that I couldn't maintain that for long. I don't eat refined sugars, sweets, etc., but I do eat potatoes, a little Pasta, rice. I also try to avoid things that are processed and out of a box, but sometimes I do like convenience things because our life is hectic and I need something quick. My surgeon is mostly worried about calories. By cutting my calories I naturally cut the fat and carbs that I used to eat.

That books sounds interesting. I think I'm going to look for it. I prefer to buy fresh foods and organics whenever possible, so I think this is something I would be interested in.

I don't eat clean AT ALL but it sounds so refreshing that I might have to give it a try. I've been craving fruit like a monkey all week and can't seem to get enough. I'm so glad you are doing so well, Ezma. And I'm SUPER glad to see your pretty face! =)

Woo hoo Gibson is back! Great to have you back hon. Hope you've been well. Glad you're hanging in there. fruit is good, good stuff. I crave it like crazy now too.

I have followed the doctor's/nutritionist's advice and have ended up with gout....too much damn protein...albeit low fat Protein and terrible Constipation. All I ate was protein, until yesterday when I realized I miss grains whole grains and salads. Some of you said that you won't eat anything that comes from a box or lives in a freezer...I have to...1) because I am lazy...2) very convenient for a single gal. But I think I have found the solution...the brand Kashi...I love all of their products and I had a frozen dinner..1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for dinner. It was perfect...7 grain mixed pilaf with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, and red peppers. I am switching my diet up a bit. It will relieve the both of my symptoms. I had my first fruit since before surgery...cherries!!! OMG, they are delightful:)

:grouphug:

Yummm, I bought some organic banana's the other day and I put Peanut Butter on them and eat them... it makes a great snack and I eat these about 30 minutes before my work outs and they charge me up!

Hey Coolcrystal! Bananas with Peanut Butter is a favorite of mine, too! :tongue: Count me in as a "clean eater" too, although I'm still working on it and learning (I do use artificial sweeteners, mostly just crystal light in my water). Do you also use organic peanut butter (or natural peanut butter - no sugars or hydrogenated fats/oils). I love natural peanut butter, although stirring the oil back in can be a pain. My husband and son still use the "regular" peanut butter - I took a taste once, and it was like eating candy! Bleh. It's amazing how our tastes evolve.

I've never been a low-carb person, but my dietitian has helped with this. She says I need at least 80 - 100gms per day, it's important for brain function (yeah I need that help, lol :)). I get my carbs from fruits and veggies, plus whole grains (occasionally a baked potato). I stay away from sugars and processed foods as much as I can.

I just believe in balance - carbs, healthy fats, and Protein, even if I lose slower.

I think it's great that so many of us have started eating healthier. I'm not there all the way but every day I make better choices. I totally understand about the convience/time factor and I think the Kashi frozen dinners are supposed to be pretty good. Think I'll check them out. Would be great to have something fast on hand.

I try to eat healthy but usually eat frozen veggies because I can't eat them fast enough to use the fresh ones. I throw a handful in a bag and steam them, one serving at a time. I also bake a sweet potato about once a week and eat it at about three meals. It doesn't take long to fill me up.:tt1: I am waiting patiently for my tomatos to ripen on the vines in my back yard. I tend to gravitate to higher Protein foods since I really feel like I need to make sure I get my protein in every day. I usually average 80-100 grams of carb, 70-80 grams of protein, and under 50 grams of fat every day. That seems to work pretty well for me. I eat a lot of egg beaters, (lower in fat than eggs), cottage cheese, veggies, and cheese. I try to eat a banana every day. Blueberries, stawberries and cherries make wonderful Snacks.< /p>

I'm not there all the way but every day I make better choices.

Ezma, that's all any of us can do. I try but sometimes, I just don't do well. You don't even want to know what I had for lunch today!

I try to eat healthy but usually eat frozen veggies because I can't eat them fast enough to use the fresh ones. I throw a handful in a bag and steam them, one serving at a time.

SLG, that's perfect! If you can't do fresh, frozen is the next best thing. They're flash-freezing produce now as soon as it's in from the fields. It's canned that isn't so great, although it's okay in a pinch.

Edited by heartfire
Oopps! Hit the 's' instead of the 'z' for Ezma's name!