Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STARVING- and NO weight loss???

I'm 8 days post op-

I've been doing really good with the "full" liquids diet. I don't think I've been going over about 600 calories a day, at the very most.

The strange thing is, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday (5 days). Why is this??? It's really frustrating me.

On top of that, I've been feeling sooo run down- all I've been doing is resting and sleeping. It's so bad that I can hardly keep my eyes open. Today I fell asleep at 1PM and didn't wake up until 10pm (I had gotten a full night's sleep the night before)

Why am I not losing any weight, and What can I do to have more energy??

Are you getting plenty pf Proteins in? I know if I dont have my protien i feel very weak and run down too. Also you might not be loseing weight because your body thinks your starving it so it is storing the fat you have. Im a new bandster too so this is just what im thinking.. you probably will be getting better advise.

I felt the same way after surgery, it was so bad the tiredness that i couldnt even carry a purse when i went mall walking. dont worry about the weight coming off. i felt the same way. the numbers werent going down but my sizes were. hold in the there you will lose the wieght... and dont be tempted to cheat. its all worth it.

Time for the lecture:

Once you are healed from surgery, your regular signals will return. It's NORMAL to be hungry now! But you're still on liquids or eating mushies, so it's a little harder to keep satisfied than it will be when you can eat solid food. To my mind it's very important to try, though, so that you don't compromise your healing phase by going too quickly to solids.

IMO, postops should be encouraged to eat or drink as much as they need to stay satisfied. When you're back on normal food you may very well not feel much change from before your surgery with regard to how much you can eat--your band is not designed to be effective without any saline in it. Most people don't feel restriction until after a fill or two, although if you pay attention you will likely find that your capacity has dropped and it really does take somewhat less to make you feel full.

Patience. This is not a race and you will not suffer any long-term negative effects if you eat enough now to stave off the grumbly tummy. After you get adjustments is the time to be looking at whether you have restriction or not. At this point, you probably don't and that is NORMAL.

As for why you're "not losing weight" that's just what the scale says today. Don't micro-analyze the numbers! In a couple of weeks you will probably be down 10 pounds or so and be laughing at your initial worry. Please just be sure to get enough Protein in now and don't compromise your healing by going to solids too quickly. Take care of your hunger.

how do I get protien when I am drinking liquids only. Water, milk today, s/f popcicles, and broth? what else can I add. Maybe that will give me some energy and feel full.

Thanks

Spldgrl, as soon as you're on full liquids you can start exploring the world of Soup. Any seafood Soup or egg-based soup will have lots of Protein, along with Protein drinks. For this stage there are, I think, some Protein powders that dissolve fully in liquids--Benefiber makes a protein supplement that dissolves as well as their Fiber supplement and could be taken in Water. And aren't there clear Protein Drinks, too? Go to a health food store and ask about that.

Good luck, and remember this stage is TEMPORARY! You'll feel better before you know it.

Protein drinks!! Boost, Ensure, protein powders mixed with yogurt, milk, ice, fruit juices, anything to make a thin smoothie out of it. I like Boost, personally. Already mixed, yummy, easy, and it gives me the "Boost" haha I'm looking for. Atkins makes a pre-mixed high protien drink, too. I like the taste of the Boost better, and they have a higher protien version. Good luck!

i just weighed my self yesterday.....and i was actually up 5lbs from my actual day of surgery...........very strange and annoying seeing that no food has entered my body except some opti fast shakes, propel Water and soups.........maybe its the bloat, and gas and who know what else.....anyone else have same experience...........not happy to see that though.........lost a bunch pre-opp but to go up 5 pounds since surgery and itw now been 6 days post surgery...seems strange!!!

I don't think I've been going over about 600 calories a day, at the very most.

This could be your problem.

Add more calories, I know it sounds carzy but it is true. Ever here of your body going itno starvation mode? It is when the body holds on to every calorie ittakes in , in fear that no more food is coming. 600 calories is not enough. OR, it could be the change from Clear Liquids to ful lliquids, body may be in a bit of confusion. I know in my own experience when I went from clear to full liquids, I saw a stall in my weight loss and when I went from full liquids to mushy foods I saw a 1-2 lb gain, and the same from mushy to solids, it took my body about 3-4 days during each phase to adjust. You know you are not overeating or drinking, so try not to fret, main thing right now is healing, you are only 8 days post op. My doctor told me to not be concerned with weight loss during the 6 weeks post op, any weight loss is a bonus, the band is designed to be filled to work its best and to lose the wieght. Once you get your fills, the wieght will come off. Hang in there. I know it is frustrating but you have a lifetime with this band :)

My doctor told me to not be concerned with weight loss during the 6 weeks post op, any weight loss is a bonus

LOL... My Dr said the exact opposite- he made me kinda freaked out. Oh well... I like your Drs advice better =)

I'm really glad to read advice from those who have gone though it before me. I too like chatrooper Find myself starving. I'm 3 days post op and have to try not to think about food to much. All I keep thinking about is a hamberger!! funny I hardly ate that many of them before. I've boiled some carrots in clear broth and put it though the blender. something about warm liquids that comforting. Also I'm having about 2 carnation shakes a day. Lots and lots of Water. Again thanks to everybody for their input.

Yesterday I was really, really low energy. Sunday I'm allowed to have pureed foods, but I cheated a bit yesterday and had about five bites of super pureed mashed potatoes. Afterwards, I felt soooooo much better, and today I woke up feeling good. Even though it was a few days early, it really helped me a great deal. AND as a bonus, I lost 2 lbs overnight. It was really an odd sensation, having food in my stomach for the first time since having the band.