Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for all of the NYU bandsters -- what pre-op tests did you have to have?

I've had my routine physical bloodwoork, an EKG and a pulmonary capacity test. I've heard folks mentioning chest x-rays and sleep apnea tests -- are those required?

It depends on your health status. If you have apnea then they will want to do the sleep study etc. Sometimes it also is based on what your insurance wants to prove that you need the surgery before they will pay for it.

I had no co-morbidities so the only tests I had done (2 weeks prior to surgery) were EKG, blood work, chest xray and esophagram - which I did all at the hospital. Be prepared though it takes several hours to get through the round of people to do each thing. The nurse did the blood work and EKG, then I had to meet with the anestatician (I'll never learn to spell that) who tells you the basics about what to expect. Then they will ship you off to get your chest xray -all these things are done through the Pre Admission testing dept at NYU. I was there for 5 hours but it should only take 3.

You'll have to schedule your own esophagram upstairs in radiology. I recommend if you can, take the day and get everything done at once. I was a moron and didn't realize that a chest xray and the esophagram were two different things (they both are xrays dang it! :lol: ) so my surgery was nearly cancelled because I had to rush in to get it done two days before surgery.

Last but certainly not least you're primary will need to sign off on the results from the PAT area for your surgery clearance which means you get to go see him/her too. PAT will fax it to your primary a few days after. Another tid bit of advice... get copies of everything they are going to send to your primary from PAT if you can. I had a heck of a time between my primary's office and PAT - one said they sent it the other said they didn't and I was caught in the middle with my surgery threatening to be cancelled because of a fax. I almost had to take time off from work to pick up the thing and walk it the one block to get it to them. I was such a stress case trying to get it everyone on the same page.

Good Luck! :smile2:

Thanks for the advice....sounds like a pain in the ass. What we will do to lose weight! Haha! Do you think the patient area people would willingly just give you a copy because Id rather just walk it myself to my PCP if it is going to be a big issue. BTW...is your PCP at Murray Hill?? Just thought since you said it was only a block away. Mine is. I wonder why they dont schedule the esophogram for you but they schedule everything else....weird. Anyway, any other good advice for us NYUers??

Hey Lauren! Yes MHM is were my pcp is too- Dr. Wallace. Actually it was Weinberg but I only saw her twice and she went out on maternity leave so I've been seeing her back up Dr. Wallace ever since.

You could walk it over to them but the blood work takes a day or so for them to process so it won't be available that moment to take with you. You can probably ask them for a copy of your ekg though. In my situation they only faxed my pcp 1 page of the EKG and trying to get them to send the entire thing was the PITA because they wouldn't listen to me say that they needed to send the entire thing they just kept telling me they sent the fax and someone over there needs to look around for it. <SIGH> If I had taken a copy of the EKG and anything else they filed out that day perhaps I wouldn't have had to run around like a chicken without my head. <DOUBLE SIGH> Yes, indeed....what we will do to loose weight!

You have to schedule your pre admin testing but the esophagram is another appointment which you too get to schedule. This is where I went off the path- I thought the chest xray (which is done in PAT radiology) was the same as the esophagram (which is done in regular radiology department). Though imagine my surprise when I went to have it done and there were 5 of us from the weight loss dept and I was the only one doing it pre surgery. They all had their surgery and never got an esophagram prior to their surgery. I guess each dr. is different or else I had a test for no particular reason.

I really think there should be someone at the dr's office to help guide you and all the paperwork along better. They told me directions and gave me a ton of paperwork but I had to deal with 3 different people in the dr's office not to mention the various people at PAT and my PCP. The staff at the surgeon's office is SUPER BUSY and trying to talk to anyone you'd think I was trying to talk to the pope. Tiffany IS GREAT - SUPER NICE:thumbup:!!!!! All in all I found the process complicated :confused2: and stressful (I was also on that liquid pre op diet so I was probably rather :crying:) but I guess it is all necessary to make sure you are safe and that is the important thing. There's no point in having the surgery if you don't make it through the surgery.

As for advice, the only thing I can really think of is be patient. Everything takes time it seems. Every time I needed to make an appointment it was another 4-5 weeks before who ever I needed to see that time was available. I felt like I would never get to have the surgery and I think I created more stress for myself then I needed to. oops :confused_smile:

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Feel free to PM me with any questions too. Good Luck!!:eek:

Thanks for your taking the time to respond! My PCP is Dr. DeOre....I really like her a lot! My insurance required 6 months so Ive been seeing a lot of her lately. Before this, I was one of those people who went to the dr when I got sick once a year, maybe. I feel like a crazy person now. Anyway, the testing day sounds like a very crazy day! You would think they would have people to walk you through all of that stuff, but I know they are very busy people. Maybe after Im banded they will hire me to do that as I am not very fond of the job I currently have...

I will keep an eye out about the faxing issue. Luckily I work pretty closeby, so if i have to go get it and run it over there during lunch or something I will. I suppose I will just cross my fingers and hope it all goes smoothly and try not to be too pushy. I have worked in doctors offices and hospitals before and know all too well how "red-tapey" things like this can be.

I know what you mean about creating more stress for yourself as that is what im doing right now. I dont think ill be able to relax until i have a letter in my hand saying im approved, but im sure gonna try. I know I am driving my boyfriend nuts!

Glad things finally got worked out for you and you finally have your band! If I think of any more questions I will PM you. Thanks again! :smile: