Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking in from Brooklyn NY..

Hey everyone,

I've been considering Lap Band for a couple of years now but I didn't want to believe that I am not able to lose this weight and keep it off on my own.

I am 52 yrs old and at 5'2" I'm 230 lbs. I have always been overweight but I'm now in my heaviest range.

Last year I lost over 50lbs as a result of having an injury that left me immobile and I decided that if I didn't do something I'd get even heavier at that time I was about 248. I got down to 196 at the lowest doing strict low carb.

Now that I'm back on my feet, socializing and stressed out , well I'm back to 230 and I'm so afraid that if I continue this way, I'll surpass my last high weight of 248 and be 260-275.

I'm miserable and I feel my life is passing me by fighting this life-long battle.

So, I'm here researching the beginnings of considering LB surgery. I have an appt at my Dr. next Wednesday and I'm considering going to a LB seminar next Tuesday.

Any advice , suggestions, experiences would be appreciated.

Welcome!

I'm Kristen, also 5'2", also around 220 and live in Brooklyn. Definitely sign-up to go to the seminar @ NYU. It's a great, low-pressure environment where they give you quite a bit of information about the surgery, their practice, the long term results, insurance company requirements and obesity in general.

I'm about 1/2 way through the process now -- I've been to the seminar, gotten my psych consult and been through my physical with my PCP. My next step is to meet with NYU's nutritionist, NP and do my surgical consult. (All happening on 7/7).

Thanx for the response Kristen.

Were you approved by your insurance and if I may ask what type do you have? I have GHIand Empire BC/BS, my DH is a city employee so I hope if my PCP gives approval I can be easily approved .

I am going to go online to see if NYU is having seminars now. I checked into a local hospital here in BK but NYUis superior.

Thanx again, Dee

Yesterday I got my surgery date (Aug 15) with Dr. Fielding @ NYU....Hang in there...Its a process but I know it will be worth it...I think the team @ NYU is the best....

Congratulations Leslee!

Dee, I don't have insurance approval yet -- the doctor's office won't submit that until close to my surgery. I have Oxford which has been described by the folks @ NYU as the "Cadillac" of insurance when it comes to the lap band.

Having spoken with Oxford (and gotten a copy of their benefit schedule in the mail), they cover the surgery without the need for a Medical Director's review if your BMI is over 40 and the surgery is being performed by an Allergan-certified surgeon. (All the docs @ NYU are).

Oxford doesn't require a 6 month doctor-supervised diet -- but looking through my information packet from NYU, it does appear that BC/BS requires that.

Welcome,

I have empire bc/bs and called to get their policy (a 20 pg document) It seems as of January 1, 2008 no 6 month supervised diet (at least according to my plan.

By the way I'm from Brooklyn too, nice to see brooklynites here

Gigi

Thanx for the info guys. I'm at the very beginning stages. I am so tired of gaining , losing , regaining, I'm getting too old for this.

I mentioned to my DH today that I was seriously considering this and his thing was "you think you eat enough to need this?" well I used to think that way too because I am not a binge eater. I can go all day w/o eating and then I eat the wrong thing and you all know the story.

I got a Wii fit when it came out and got on it yesterday and my BMI was 43. I'm almost 1/2 fat !!

Just so tired of this. I have an appt next Wednesday with my PCP and even though he is very overweight , I mean like 400lbs he doesn't believe in much other than the regular, so I'll see what he says.

I'm going to go through the process though and see what happens.

Kristen it seems crazy that they will have you go through all this and then submit your paperwork. I guess they are pretty sure you'll be approved .

Gigi, Leslee thanx for the tips and the welcome. Let's stay in touch.

D

Being banded at NYU was a great experience from beginning to end. I agree with going to a seminar there.........they answer all your questions and it's great that Dr. Fielding and his whole team are banded!!

I have GHI and BC/BS and work for a city union (DC37), Dr. Fielding no longer takes GHI so I will have to pay out of pocket for follow-up visits. BC/BS approved my surgery (quickly)and paid for everything (with a $300.00 deductible).

The overnight stay at the hospital was great and all the nurses and staff are very kind and considerate.

The only downside is that in the last 6 months Dr. Fielding's office has become like a new NY restaurant where you have to wait to get a reservation, and I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

Like I said previously it was and still is a great positive experience. My only regret is that I waited till 55 to do it!!!

Leslee: Did you decide Lap band or Gastric?

To all of you ...........good luck ........it's the best thing I ever did!!!!

:biggrin:

Edited by rosiered

Thanx Rosie Red for the encouraging info.

YOu and I have the same insurance so maybe at least I won't have a problem with that. I wonder if one of the other Docs takes GHI or I guess I can pay for my own follow ups if I have to but I guess I'm a long way from that.

I have to venture into other threads to see about how long the process takes from beginning to surgery.

Can't wait for my PCP to come back from vacation so I can see what he has to say. I hope I don't have to go over him .

D

Thanx Rosie Red for the encouraging info.

YOu and I have the same insurance so maybe at least I won't have a problem with that. I wonder if one of the other Docs takes GHI or I guess I can pay for my own follow ups if I have to but I guess I'm a long way from that.

I have to venture into other threads to see about how long the process takes from beginning to surgery.

Can't wait for my PCP to come back from vacation so I can see what he has to say. I hope I don't have to go over him .

D

NYU split up their surgeons by insurance coverage and Dr. Fielding was the GHI Dr., unfortunately as of June 18th he dropped it, so you need to find out what your alternatives are. My approval came very quickly becoz with BC/BS you don't need the 6 months supervised diet. First step is a physchological eval with one of their Dr.'s and it was $250.00 out of pocket. Then I had to go for a nutritional assessment and evaluation another $325.00 out of pocket. Then thru my coverage I had to go for clearance for surgery thru my cardiologist. Was all done by end of January and was scheduled for March 6th surgery. Process can be as quick or as long as you make it!!

Once again good luck as your journey begins!