Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophogitis, reflux, or strep?

kathy... you are killing me... Your hubby & the zantac... OMG!

I bought some aloe vera yesterday - and folks, mine taste like water! NO taste at all. Probably different brands. I bought mine at a Vitamin store & the owner told me that this stuff really does work for ALL stomach trouble - including reflux. She said it worked from the mouth to the butt!

Anyway, its not quantity - but consistancy that makes it work (according to the owner of the store). So, if we drink the whole bottle in 2 days, it will probably do nothing but give us the toots. But taking a swig (approx. 2oz's) 3 x's a day for a couple of weeks is the way to go!

Kathy, its probably wise for you to inform your pcp about you having the band. If anything - just for your records! In my 10 months banded life, Ive had to call my pcp around 3 times for different prescriptions. He doesnt mess with me - doesnt even ask to see me - and usually gives me what Im asking for.

O-Kaaay! (whine-moan-groan) point taken about my PCP. You are right, Paula. I guess I just wanted to WOW her on weight loss and lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure without the Diet pills she like to give me so freely. She was so -eh- about the Band so I wanted to prove her wrong, ya know? I'll go. I got my card in the mail that it's time for my annual OB-Gyn appointment, too. And then comes the 40 year old mammogram. Way too much going on!

Okay, so I got the fruit of the Earth brand of Aloe Vera juice at Wal-Mart. It was $7 something for a gallon. Short bottle too, so it fits in the fridge, and it is better cold, that's for sure. It tastes clear, water-y, but has a flavor that could turn bitter if you got a bad batch. It really isn't bad, I'm just in whine mode today. (can ya tell?) I will faithfully and regularly drink 2-3 ounces at least twice a day until this esophagitis stuff gets better. No toots yet. And I won't whine about the taste. Kelly, yours from Watkins will probably be good like Paula's. Let us know!!

I will definately let you know what I think of it when I get it. I hope we have enough to order it this week. My mom is ordering it as well. A quart only costs $4 and some odd cents from Watkins, so that's probably what I'll start with. The gallon size is $14.99.

No matter what brand you get, please make sure that it's pure. I know that Watkins is 99.7% pure and is cold pressed. As long as your brand is pure, then it's all good. *wink*

Okay, gang...time to check in for an update, and it's definately not strep...didn't really think so but with the kids next door having it, well...

So, my throat is much better! The Aloe Vera juice, taken consistently at least daily, plus my prilosec every morning plus careful eating of only liquids and mushies and slowly, it's better! I no longer have a burning esophogus. Yippee!! Thanks for all the encouragement and feedback.

So, here's my next question. I started to do a new thread but I want to keep in mind my penchant for reflux/esophogitis so I'll just continue here. One of these days LBT is bound to run out of room!

Anyhow, tomorrow (Fri) marks 5 weeks since surgeery. I am slowly adding new and different foods and chewing them to bits like mad and I can pretty much eat anything I try, even salad, yay! The only problems I have are good restriction, because if I swallow too big a bite, or not well chewed, I slime for 5 min until it passes, and it hurts. So if I'm careful, no problem, I'm just saying that because I know I have good restriction.

So, right now I am eating food to get it past the band with minimal stomach churning. Right? Since I have one more week in the healing stage, that is.

So what happens next week when I start eating the Bandsters way, protien first, then veggies, then starches, if any? It would seem I still need to chew this stuff pretty good but then it just goes on past the band and when do I get full?

I guess I am anticipating feeling fuller faster, but I don't see how that's possible. The other issue is, maybe I'm eating the bandster way now, and I shouldn't be?

I guess I can't translate what's happening to me with how it's supposed to be. Which is what got me off to a bad start from the get-go. What I thought was normal was actually my tummy telling me to slow down. So I don't trust my own judgement.

It doesn't help that I was 2lbs UP on the scale this morning!

At some point, all the research in the world can't really prepare you for the reality of banded life. You gotta research, but really, it's the support system that gets you through.

So, am I eating wrong? What will change after next week?

Thanks gang, yer the best!

Just so you know kathy, I went out and got the aloe vera.

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... stuff works, you can feel it. Nature is so wonderful.