Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophogitis, reflux, or strep?

Okay all you diagnostic hounds, all you nurses and shade-tree doctors, all you opinionated folks who know something about anything...whaddya think?

Here's the deal. I have been banded just shy of 4 weeks now. I had a rough first two weeks with swelling in the stoma, reflux, very tight restriction, and I could feel everything pass through the band. Slippage has been ruled out. So i was doing a very liquid diet since then of protien shakes, Soups, broths, etc and have been very slowly adding in thicker things like guacamole, cream of potato Soup, even some steamed broccoli (well-chewed with sips of soup) and mushy green Beans. So slowly the swelling seems to be going down. To the point that I might, just maybe, hopefully, might be getting that wide open feeling I have been searching for. Today, I had 12 oz of white meat chicken salad. WOW! And I can take my medicine now without crushing it. Very good progress for someone with no fill. I am hopeful.

Now, I have been taking Prilosec OTC 1-2 times a day (sometimes I forget that second dose and really don't think I need it?) and today I bought some Aloe Vera juice after I read Kelly's (Dylansmom) thread about esophogitis. Also went back and read Michelle's (La Madam) Esophogitis thread.

The reason I did this was because I have a sore throat. It's okay in the mornings for about 10 minutes, but then it gets sore. It feels like my throat burns from the back of my throat down into my chest, like the esophogus. Kind of like when you wake up in the morning after partying the night before and you smoked a whole pack of cigs just that night (wow, been a long time since I did THAT!) and your throat burns, but with the smoking your lungs hurt. My lungs don't hurt. I breathe great, but my esophogus hurts when I take in and hold a deep breath.

And the kids next door have Strep.

So, should I treat this like it's esophogitis and keep up with the Prilosec and Aloe Vera juice and wait for it to heal, AND stick with liquids too? (the liquid part I don't like, getting really ready to enjoy the wide open feeling I have been longing for) or do you think the Strep has something to do with this?

confused and need some good advice :) even if it means going to my PCP to rule out the Strep? I hate to do that but I will...

ya know, this band can really put a stick in your spokes when it comes to self-diagnosis. hmmmm.

You didn't say how long this was going on. If it has just been a couple of days, then you need to get checked for strep, especially if this is something that the neighbor kids have. My son is espeically suseptable to strep...

Don't take any chances with strep

Okay, I have had to think about this. I guess it's been going on for less than a week. I'm just figuring it's the reflux (which I don't feel like I get) or just a tender esophogus? It's not your typical sore throat, like when you swallow food and it hurts. I kinda just hurts all the time.

If it's strep, you would probably also have a slight temperature, white blisters on the back of your throat, and it would hurt continuously. You should however give your doc a call, and describe your symptoms to see if they'd like you to come in for evaluation, in case you need an antibiotic.

Kathy here is some helpful info on Esophagitis, I experienced it and believe me it was not pleasant at all.

I was on the prilosec in the beginning for my esophagitis but I was switched to Prevacid and it worked much better in treating my esophagitis, but it is more expensive and a prescription is needed for it , but well worth it

Symptoms of Esophagitis

* Difficulty when swallowing

* Pain when swallowing

* Burning sensation in the esophagus

* Acid reflux (heartburn)

* Oral lesions (herpes)

Esophagitis is an inflammation and swelling of the esophagus. It is most often caused by acid-containing stomach contents refluxing back up into the esophagus. The most significant cause of acid reflux is gastroesophageal reflux disease. Other causes of reflux are hernias, vomiting, medications and surgery.

Esophagitis can be caused by other conditions also. These include an infection that can develop in individuals with weakened immune systems, such as caused by HIV or certain medications such as corticosteroids. The infection can be caused by viruses, including herpes and cytomegalovirus, and fungi or yeast, especially Candida infections.

Whether the condition is caused by the irritation from reflux of stomach contents or by infection, in either case the tissues of the esophagus become inflamed.

If left untreated, this condition can become very uncomfortable, and can lead to difficulty when swallowing, ulcers in the esophagus, or scarring of the esophagus. In rare instances, a condition known as Barrett’s esophagus may develop which is a risk factor for cancer of the esophagus.

How Esophagitis is Treated

* Medications to reduce acid if gastroesophageal reflux disease is the cause

* Antibiotics if an infection is the cause

Prognosis For Those Who Have Esophagitis

Whether the esophagitis is caused by reflux disease or an infection, both usually respond well to treatment.

Complications of Esophagitis

If esophagitis is not treated, it can cause:

* Severe discomfort

* Malnutrition or dehydration because of swallowing difficulties

* Scarring of the esophagus, which can lead to a stricture of the esophagus.

* In rare cases, Barrett's esophagus, which can lead to cancer of the esophagus.

I hope this info helps you and I hope you feel better soon, Esophagitis is something I wouldnt ever wish on my worst enemy, it was horrible.

Thanks so much Michelle, you condensed my Esopohogitis research into one easy to read post. Wow.

I really don't think it's Strep. I don't know that I have ever had Strep and suppose I have been exposed to it a number of times over the years, so it would be weird, and I don't have a temp or white blisters in the back of my throat (Thanks PamRN, you are really handy!). I don't suppose I should rule it out just yet since the kids next door have it but for now, I'll just keep an eye out.

What I DO have is burning sensation in the esophogus. That's all I have. No real pain when swallowing, no problem eating, no oral lesions. I had the reflux back when I was very tight, but I guess it has gone away? I can swallow fine, I even took two Tylenol Sinus for a sinus headache and they went down fine (caplets, one at a time) so I'm not overly restricted, which means no reflux to me. Could I be wrong? Is this all just leftover irritation from my terrible first few weeks? That is really what it feels like to me. I just can't remember when it all started or if it's been there all along and getting worse since I started forgetting my second Prilosec these past 4-5 days? Thinking I don't need it when I do?

I'm going to go take another Prilosec now with 2 ounces of Aloe Vera juice. So there.

Thanks all of you. I'll keep you posted on the burning esophogus. :)

Kathy I had no reflux when I had esophagitis either, which is why I was so suprised I had it. You seem to be on top of things and are keeping a close eye on it all. Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you , I suffered with it for 3 weeks.

Kathy I had no reflux when I had esophagitis either, which is why I was so suprised I had it.

Wow. This is what this is. Thanks so much. I'm calling my PCP tomorrow for the Prevacid RX. Whatever it takes! I'ts very uncomfortable and annoying and worrisome. Thanks so much!

Prevacid works for me I had the burning only at the top of my throat area and anytime I drank Water but do feel much better now.

Hope you get the meds and you get better.

I sure hope that between the Prevacid and Aloe juice that things will clear up for you. It's probably wise that you got the unfill too, to let things simmer down for a while.

If you need anything at all feel free to PM me. Good luck to you girl!

Thanks Kelly, but no unfill, just unfilled! I couldn't imagine being any tighter...it's been a long road just getting this UNtight! And my esophogus is paying for it! Still have the burning today. I chickened out on calling my PCP. She doesn't know yet that I have the band...too much explaining, blah. So I'm doing Aloe Vera juice, 2oz with Prilosec twice a day and keeping very mushy, mostly liquids for foods. I hope that time will heal.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, Mary, did you try Prilosec before you went to prescription Prevacid? Just wondering if you think it's really all that much better than the Prilosec? If so, I'll break down and call my PCP. I'm thinking they are so similar in what they do...surely the Prilosec will work if I am faithful about takinig it...whaddya think?

Wait, I just re-read what Michelle said about the Prevacid working much better....hmmmm. Dang! (whine) I don't wanna call my PCP! She'll make me come in for an office visit and ask me why I didn't just get the Gastric Bypass and then I wouldn't have esophogitis. duh. she erks me.

PREVACID IS THE KING.......................ALTHOUGH NOW AFTER SURGERY I WAS TOLD i wasnt going to have to take it anymore because they were going to fix it for me....but im still burping up a storm..........not sure if its my reflux and they didnt fix it or its still the gas from the surgery?

Grub, your burping is gas still, I'll bet. Day 6, right? But don't throw out your Prevacid yet! So you had reflux probs pre-surgery? What'd they fix?

I had an Iron stomach before getting banded. This is aggravating. My hubby takes a Zantac morning and night, and I was always so glad I never had to worry about that type of thing, have to have a Zantac if I want a cup of coffee, did you pack my Zantac?, I'm almost out of Zantac could you pick some up at the store? blah blah

So here I am, getting my come-uppance with esophagitis. Dandy. It's almost time to go take my Prilosec with Aloe Vera juice. Can I just whine about one more thing? Aloe Vera juice tastes like crap. OK it's not horrible, I certainly don't gag on it, but, ya know? It really is pretty crappy tasting!

Oh greeeeeaaaaat. Here I am telling everyone how wonderful Aloe Vera juice is for them in healing (which is true) but now I find out that it tastes like crap?!?! I guess when I get mine I'll just have to guzzle it down (it's only 2oz. per day) and hope for the best.

Thanks for the taste warning Kathy!!!

OH! And I apologize for the unfill mistake. I stand corrected! (That's what I get for speed reading! LOL)

Yeah , Kelly, and you are the one who inspired me to get it with your Aloe Vera thread and research!

Really, it isn't horrible, but it's not sweet at all, really kind of bitter more than anything. I can take it. I just do like you will and guzzle it.

You are so funny!