Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constantly weighing yourself?

I find myself weighing myself over 5 times a day. I've heard it's a disease to constantly weigh yourself. What's it called? How can I stop this??

Seems like a lot of us have rather addictive personalities... Whether it is food or weighing ourselves or buying shoes (yeah, my husband is over-run by shoes...). So, refocus your strength on something else. I buy shoes and exercise obsessively... but, I don't focus on the scale nearly as much as I used to. Redirection is key!

Go see a shrink.....

well I personally didn't ask 4 smart remarks but I guess this thread attracts them

well I personally didn't ask 4 smart remarks but I guess this thread attracts them

Sorry, didn"t mean to be a smart ass comment. Honestly, if you think you have a "disease" looking at the scale multiple times a day then seeking professional help would be best.

I was up to 3x a day; now I'm twice a day; once on a good day :smile2:

I can cope when I'm on vacation without it, but I get on as soon as I get home.

If there's a name for it, I don't know what it is. I know that I do NOT want to gain weight and I'm getting close to goal so I'm watching to see where I start evening out.

don't sweat it bro. you're just excited about the inevitable. enjoy it, as you drop you'll stop doing it so much.

my advice: take the scale and put it up in the closet after every time you hop on it. point is, you won't do any of those impulse weighs. ie. after using the restroom then hoping on 'just because it's there'. you won't want to go to the other end of the house to go in the closet to get it.

i hop on once in the AM (after my morning routine :confused_smile: ). then that's about it.

good luck - keep it going.

If I wasnt at work a millon hours a day I would probably just stand on the scale as well.

Everywhere I have read about it they refer to it as scale addiction. Here is an article on it Your Health - CTV MedNews Express :: Do you have scale addiction?

If you really think this is an issue get rid of the scale... I would seriously put it in the trash. Just use the scale at your doctors office when you go for appts.

My doctor lets me just do walk ins and weigh myself whenever I am in the neighborhood.

why not try just once a day in the morning? that way you can see if you erred the day before & try to correct that situation. if you constantly get on the scale your weight is inaccurate because of SO MANY different things-water, food you just ate, urination, etc... DONT stress, just try to ween yourself off the scale to MORNINGS only at the same time- try this: after the restroom, before Breakfast, before taking meds--- you should be empty & perhaps you may see a # you like!!!

i used to do the same thing at one time. i literally would weigh myself and depending what the scale said wuld determine if i would eat or not. i actually had to throw the scale out, which i did.it was a scale addiction today, i do have a scale but no longer have the problem- i can weigh myself nce a day

Well, I guess you and I should "got to the same shrink", as I find myself on the scale 3 or 4 times a day. I am only 10 days post op, and I think the negitive effect it has had on me, to weigh myself so frequently, will stop as soon as I return to work on Monday. I have found that boredom has set in, but every time I step on the scale and I'ts 1-2 lbs higher than that morning, I get really down and start to critizise everything that goes into my mouth!

I am putting my scale in my attic, and will bring it out once a week.

i dont have that problem anymore- i dont weigh myself even everyday now, but when i did losing the scale is what helped me. i knew i was having a problem and all it does is build that negativity. good luck

I think its called obsessive...forget about it and keep busy doing something else or just throw the scales out!!!! this could be a 20/20 show

i have a really cool scale that save your weight and lets u put in a goal weight..its really cool i weigh myself several time a day and i try not to go to bed weighing more than what i started out the day weighing...hows that for compulsive ...im looking into getting a shrink...o but before the scale thing i wasnt really losing:thumbup: