Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband and Wife teams, or Relatives who did it together

I wanted to know if there are a lot of individuals out there who have done the lapband with their spouses and how are you doing together. My husband was banded on the 6th of June and is doing great. I was just banded on June 13th, and I am feeling great, still a little sore, but I wanted to know if you discussed this with other family members, or just kept it to yourselves.

My husband and I decided to tell only a few people, but we are totally happy with our decisions to have the lapband. He has been so supportive of me and our journey together and it has definitely bought us together. But I have read other threads where people are lacking support, or have done it with a spouse or relative and been envious of the other person's weight loss and I just wanted some feedback. :biggrin2:

Thanks in advance,

jlg

My husband and I did it together. My daughter did it a year before us. She is now dating a bandster, whose mother is a bandster nurse who does fills for a fill center. How's that for family togetherness?

I have had better weight loss success than my husband, but it helps that we are in it together. It means that one of us isn't buying gallons of ice cream and packages of Cookies while the other is trying to eat well. Our meals are planned with healthy band habits in mind. There is no rice, potatoes, bread, or Pasta in our house. When we go out to eat we buy an appetizer or plan that we will be eating leftovers for the next meal or two. I am extremely happy that we did this together. The only problem is when our 22 year old son comes to visit and complains there is no food in the house!

My mom and I actually had the band about three months apart, and several members of my extended family had it during the same year. We tell everyone. Once you lose a certain amount of weight people want to know how you did and I guess I feel weird saying anything but the truth! We all use each other for support and advice, it has actually turned out really well!

I had the surgery 6 months ago and we are trying to schedule my husbands right now. I am hopeful that it will be a great experience for both of us. I have lost 65 lbs to date and he is really excited about his prospects!

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I am looking at everyone's weight loss and I am so optimistic that my husband and I will do great. I am going to start exercising today, I know it's only 3 days after my surgery, but I am so anxious to get started. My husband has just been walking and is doing great. Since the 6th, he's lost 17lbs, I just hopes that it keeps up at this rate. I know that he will lose weight faster than me, but that is why I am anxious to start now. I don't want to have any excess skin and start looking frumpy:lol:!

I will let everyone know how we are doing on a weekly basis, hopefully the weight will be coming off everyweek from now on.

Thanks for everything,

Jlg:cool2:

I was banded May 21nd 2008. My husband will have the gastric sleeve performed July 22nd! We tell everyone.

Edited by shardenly

Hubby and I got it done an hour apart :biggrin:

It's nice to have someone go through it with me.

My husband was banded May 13, and I was banded June 5. I think both of us being banded will only increase our chances of success. We haven't been at the same stages of our eating yet, but we will be soon. We have not really held back on telling people. I'm like the other poster, eventually everyone will want to know how I lost all that weight (that sounds so good!!!), and I'm not one to tell part truths. It's only a tool. It won't work if I feed myself ice cream shakes all the time...I still have to work for it, and make changes. So what if the band will help me...it's better than being overweight and unhealthy! So, I guess I don't really care what others would have to say about it anyway. Good luck to you and yours!

DH had his band May 2007 and I having (fingers crossed) my band done in October. I'm glad we have time inbetween. DH did GREAT for the first year, but has totally lost his focus. He's figured out how to eat around the band, and I think he is eating too much (JMO). He hasn't lost anything since February. I'm hoping that when I get banded and rarin' to go, he'll get focused again. He's lost 80lbs so far and has about 60-75lbs more to go. I have 100lbs waiting to get lost.:biggrin2:

My DH got banded 6th June, 2 and a half years after me, so technically we've not done it together, but both of us are bandsters now.

My wife and I were banded 9 months ago. So far I have lost 50 lbs. She has lost about 40 lbs. Also her sister was banded a month later and is doing well also. It has been the best thing the three of us have done. We both saw the doctor yesterday and felt we were doing fine. He felt that the wife did not need a fill. I will get another fill next Monday. He did say that ice cream is one of the things that will put the weight on and cause you not to loose. My wife and sister-in-law are now calling me skinny. While at the regular doctor yesterday he said that my BP was good and do not need to come back until January. Then will do more bloodwork to see how things are going. He did ask about goals and I told him I was looking at about 165-170. Not going by the charts. He felt that was a good weight to shoot for. I will say it is the best thing we have done. There is a lot of NSV that have happen etc. Next week I go to see my partents and they will see the results. However they or my sisters do not know that we (I) have done the band. Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Chris

I really think it is great that there is so much support there. I am really excited for my husband and anxious to get the approval phone call. My mother in law had gastric a year ago and inspired me to take steps towards the procedure. She has gone from 250 to 111 and looks amazing.

Your story is wonderful!

my husband and i were banded the same day in oct & it has been great to go through this experience together. we figured we got fluffy together, lets get fit side by side. it makes a huge difference with diet AND exercise having a check/balance, and since were pretty competitive - we're constantly trying to one up each other:tongue:.

we did not tell a single person till after 5 months post op, and even then only my family knows we were banded. he's pretty private, and uncomfortable talking about having WLS. i'm actually glad we kept it to ourselves for a LONG time, cause we didn't have any "watchful eyes" while we were trying to navigate ourselves through the fill process & learning better eating / exercise habits. now, everyone knows we just eat better & exercise and that's really not a lie.

as far as success goes, hubby got to goal around the 7month mark (men just seem to drop the lbs faster:rolleyes:..LOL) - me i'm getting close, i took my goal weight down the closer i got to my original # - but that is just a total personal preference.

all the best to you 2~~

Hubby and I are going to get banded together, but within a few weeks of each other. We have three children, the older to are in ALL the sports and the youngest is 19-months (yes on purpose, she's my mid-life crisis baby) so we can't both be incapacitated at the same time.