Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time

I'm getting banded soon and just wanted to know how everyones recovery period was good or bad i just want to know in general how long I will be laid up for.?

Hi Flower, I was not laid up at all, as a matter of fact me and two other of my band buddies who were banded at the same time as I was in Mexico all went shopping the very next day in TJ on El Revolucion ( main shopping street in TJ where all tourists go)

I was not even prescribed pain meds, I was just told to take liquid tylenol. Everyone is different however and I am sure you will get various replies on this subject.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery ;)

Im a week in and feel basicly fine but my neck still makes me feel tired(its like a never ending 'crick")and the area around my incisions itch but basicly fine.

I went grocery shopping the next day. My worst pain was from my period, which started a few days after the surgery...

i am almost two weeks..and i have pain in my biggest incision where my port is.. i feel pretty good but not great yet....im still having trouble getting in and out of bed(lying down i mean) i am a big baby though!!!

I'm 6 days old and felt good after and I went shopping and sight seeing the next day, too. I can even sleep on both sides.

My only complaints are...endless gas bubbles, coming out the attic and basement, my lungs feel weak, and now diarrhea.

other than that I feel great!! I bet you will, too.

Hey flower =)

I was banded on the fifth, and I joked with my partner that I would be up and shopping as soon as the next day. She said if I was ready to, she would let me go on a spree..guess what? I did..lol.

I was up and walking around probably an hour after surgery. It was still sore, but I could walk to the bathroom. By the day after that, I was able to walk around fine. Within 4 days I was able to walk a few blocks. (dont ask why I did..but still.)

People generally heal differently, but you shouldnt really be laid up for more than a few days. My partner had her surgery friday and went to work that monday. Just dont stress yourself.

I took 1 full week off work and I wish I had taken longer. It took the entire week for me to get better. My first day back at work was only a half day and I almost didn't make it. Just don't rush yourself. Give your self time to heal! You will need it!!!

I was told that I'd be fine right away, but I was in a lot of pain for at least the first 3 days. It's strange, because usually I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I needed help getting in and out of bed up until a few days ago (I got banded on 4/27) but I guess everybody is different!

I was banded on April 28, and right now Im doing great.. I can do things I didnt think i could... the day after surgery I walked as much as I can around and around the hotel. I have lots of sore spots and pain still but my Dr. had a hard time getting around in my big tummy!! I still feel a lot of pressure around my port area, and I am unable to bend down to pick things up. I couldnt get into or out of bed for the first 3 days and (not to be gross) but I was even unable to wipe myself... Poor hubby!! but now I can do it all on my own.. I still dont bend down to pick things up. and I probably wont for awhile still.. I am bigger then most so when i stand up I get a pulling feeling, because my tummy hangs so much. I hope that helps you.