Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else noticed?

It is, its really hard and to slip up is human. I guess you've just got to bear in mind that to slip up in this stage *could* cause damage.

YOu know, I think the eating plan there is very hard. Here we're told liquids are what goes up a straw, and given lots of ideas to at least give flavour and texture variety in our liquid diet. There is absolutely NO need to try to live on Water and Protein shakes.

It pays to remember too that cheating on day 15 if you've had to do 3 weeks liquids isnt quite the same as cheating on day 4. I mean, many people only have to do 2 weeks of liquids.

And 2 weeks of Clear Liquids, that's really really really hard. Most people dont have to do that.

But we've all dieted for a few weeks at a time, it is doable and you'd think that with the commitment of having just had surgery, it'd be easier than most other times.

I just returned a whole bunch of Protein Shake stuff to Walmart this morning. From what I had read I thought I was going to have to live off those things. Then I got a list of permissable clears from my dr.'s in the post op class and never drank most of them. I only had to do clears though for 6 days. Then mushies til week 3. I can't wait for some solids, but am not going to push it even one day early. It's just not worth it. DH is taking me for crab legs on Thurs. night to Celebrate.

Funny about the potato chips being a soft food. DH and DS are going camping in the morning and have a bag of Lays on the counter and I keep thinking of the post here, hmmm, maybe I can make them mushy? just joking!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Ya'll I was scared to death to eat anything post-op. I didn't eat solids until six weeks and still waited to get my doctors okay. It blows my mind that people want risk their lives to start eating regular foods a couple of days after surgery. Yes it was so hard not to have a bite of this or a bite of that. I wanted it so bad, but knew it the time would pass and one day I'd have it again! Enough of me...

I really don't think the people taking those risks are ready for the band. They have to be prepared mentally. Life's gonna be completely different for a few months. Your body is healing and you have to adjust your behavior while it does so. Liquids and mushies won't last forever and they suck. We all hated them. They are taking unnecessary risks.

Why even post to ask if you can have it? I believe they know the answer before they ask it. They are just looking for justification. Some need the support from those of us on here to tell them not to be stupid and eat something when their body isn't ready. If they've already eaten it then they want to hear that others have made the same mistakes. Misery loves company. If you are even thinking it...Just say no!

I know that when I have my surgery I will have temptations BUT I am not making this change in my life just to screw myself up after surgery. I think some still expect the band to do all the work. I know that it will be a journey with me and the band but with ME at the wheel. That band will only go where I lead it.

Sad to see so many who you can tell are blatantly ignoring doctor's orders. :)

Honestly, I stop reading these peoples posts. If they had done even an iota of real research they would have seen the basic rules to follow after surgery, even if their doctors office were telling them something else. I don't get why they would jeopardize themselves.

I don't blame you. We must seem like candidates for the Darwin award.

I'm only a week out.

I'm only a week out and confused as hell. There's too much information all completely available. Rationalization is entirely too easy. Same band, different doctor.

If you got banded by Dr Ortiz, like I did, then I'm on all liquids until the 7th of July. Then, I am to skip the mushy stage and go straight to solids.

Um, okay. *blinders on*

*peeking around blinders* So how come that person who was banded on the same day is allowed scrambled eggs on day 3? I'm not even supposed to be on cream Soups until day 7.

To make matters even more complex, I had two consults in Phoenix. One with Dr. Simpson, one with True Results. True Results post op diet right here on my desk -- I'd be on mushies. Dr. Simpson? Soft solids. And Dr. Ortiz proctored Dr. Simpson, so why the difference???.

And how come straight liquids for 21 days? This ice cold Propel Fitness Water is easy to feel going straight down into an empty stomach -- unrestricted by anything that implies ""swelling" or "inflamed".

Okay, sorry. I am not ranting, honest. Whining, maybe, but not ranting :blink:

I'm confused and I'm hungry. I'm confused and hungry and I've had 16 oz of Protein shakes, 16 oz of Tomato Soup, 16 oz of coffee and 16 oz of Propel with another 13 days of the same to go.

*blinders back on* **and trying to stay out of the Darwinian Doghouse, just wanted you to know how easy it is to get there**

Hey Phoenix,

It's more than just differences that you've noticed. Based on your post I wouldn't be quick to throw you into "that" group. It sounds like you have done some reading and notice differences... but you are not posting, "I need help! Make me do this the right way! Someone please take accountability out of my hands so I can keep my bad habits; if I whine some more will you please tell me what to do with every bite of ice cream and deep fried lard?"

Sorry, maybe that's too harsh. We all have questions; I am sure I have asked some stupid ones. But questions and comparative analysis aside, it's the ones who think that posting their bad habits and then looking for company for their misery that piss me off.

Is it hard? It sure as hell can be. Is it worth it? Exponentially more than the "pain" it causes while you get there.

Good luck on the liquids, I know that's tough. sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free Jello, flavored teas, drink powders (as long as they dissolve completely; sugar-free, of course)... you probably know all these, but I am tossing 'em out there anyway. =)

You know, as a person that cried before surgery because I was afraid I was going to die on the table and leave my little boy without a mommy...(yeah, I have a vivid imagination) there was no way in hell I was going to attempt to cheat the band. Let's face it...it wasn't an easy decision to do it. Choosing weight loss surgery is pretty much the final hope and I wasn't going to screw that up.

I really wonder what these people are thinking. Don't anyone flame me for saying it but I think there are a lot of banded people out there who really weren't ready for it.

Absolutely, I would say there is quite a high number of people who get WLS without being honest in their assessment(s) or expectation(s). They are not invested in the process, the changes in lifestyle, and the results because they have given up all control and accountability to the band.

It's too bad. For all the energy put into cheating the band (read: cheating themselves), they could experience great success if they just tried.

Yeah, I agree. Obviously I've been thinking about this alot in the past few days given the nature of posts from me.

But you know, I think being banded before you're ready can really jinx your success. It must be awful to be thinking "I've had lapband surgery and I *STILL* cant do it". It would send you into a tail spin.

Psychological assessment does not seem to account for much does it? Its obviously failing to identify people with unrealistic expectations.

I think back to my own experience and I did really know what I was getting into. I was well prepared and I had started the behaviours well before the surgery - I weas eating well and exercising for months beforehand. I considered the surgery the second step in proceedings, it was my insurance that meant I would be able to carry on the new lifestyle past that easy 10kg point that I'd gotten to so many times. I was very ready.

Others, they just dont seem to have been given the full picture. Its seen as a miracle cure, definitely, because I've had it said to me so so many times.

I also wonder, how much a difference the surgeon you choose and their program plays into how ready a person is for the procedure. I could've went to a surgeon in town that many fly to from all over the country due to his prices as an option instead of going to Mexico. He does a consult over the phone, not much in pre op testing, etc. It seemed to me if you had the cash, you had the surgery. Versus the surgeon I chose, (who was more expensive and I am self pay) I had to see a psych before surgery, had numerous tests, was required to go to a pre op nutrition class and 2 post op nutrition classes, support groups etc. I had to agree to all this before I could set a surgery date, and get all my clearances. At first I was miffed, because well, I wanted the band and I wanted it now. But now I am so grateful, I felt it prepared me so much to be successful, to fully understand what post op life was going to be like, etc. etc. I plan on going to my dr.'s support groups for a long time to come, just to be sure I keep my head in the game!

3 weeks post op today - the day my surgeon allows solids back into the diet!!!!

Yeah, I agree. Obviously I've been thinking about this alot in the past few days given the nature of posts from me.

But you know, I think being banded before you're ready can really jinx your success. It must be awful to be thinking "I've had lapband surgery and I *STILL* cant do it". It would send you into a tail spin.

Psychological assessment does not seem to account for much does it? Its obviously failing to identify people with unrealistic expectations.

I think back to my own experience and I did really know what I was getting into. I was well prepared and I had started the behaviours well before the surgery - I weas eating well and exercising for months beforehand. I considered the surgery the second step in proceedings, it was my insurance that meant I would be able to carry on the new lifestyle past that easy 10kg point that I'd gotten to so many times. I was very ready.

Others, they just dont seem to have been given the full picture. Its seen as a miracle cure, definitely, because I've had it said to me so so many times.

And then you've also got the people that have been given the full picture, but just haven't listened, or the folks that utterly fail to do their research, etc. The ones that later cry, "But my surgeon didn't tell meeee!" I honestly just want to tell them, "Well, that's what the internet is for!" Or, to the first group I mentioned, "Really? Are you sure? Or did you just have 'I'm gonna lose weight!' blinders on?"

I really agree with Elaine. I am having a really hard time right now. I was banded on 5/22 and don't feel hardly any restriction. I get my first fill July 1st. I have tried to have as much will-power as possible, but I have screwed up a couple of times. I have still lost 11 pounds since the surgery. I think instead of those people being critical, maybe you should give some advice on how you all pulled thru without cheating before the first fill. This site is supposed to be for support, not for other people to judge and get all "high and mighty". It is really upsetting to see how judgemental that some of my fellow lap-banders are being. Shouldn't we "band" together and support each other instead of berating people who may have fallen off the wagon. After all we are all fighting an addiction!

I really agree with Elaine. I am having a really hard time right now. I was banded on 5/22 and don't feel hardly any restriction. I get my first fill July 1st. I have tried to have as much will-power as possible, but I have screwed up a couple of times. I have still lost 11 pounds since the surgery. I think instead of those people being critical, maybe you should give some advice on how you all pulled thru without cheating before the first fill. This site is supposed to be for support, not for other people to judge and get all "high and mighty". It is really upsetting to see how judgemental that some of my fellow lap-banders are being. Shouldn't we "band" together and support each other instead of berating people who may have fallen off the wagon. After all we are all fighting an addiction!
We do, on the support boards. But this is Rants and Raves, not the support section.