Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery June 30th

Hi my name is Stephanie and I am from Waco, Tx. I am 39; will be 40 July 9th. I am currently engaged and I have three kids ages 15, 17, and 22.

I am a Registered Nurse working on a Pediatric unit. I am currently working 7p-7a three nights a week, but should be switching to the opposite shift( 7a-7p) by early August.

I have been struggling with my weight issues since I was a teenager. I have yo-yo dieted all my life and finally want that madness to end, which brings me to my decision to be banded. I understand it still takes work, but I believe it will be easier for me using this tool.

I am in need of a buddy/mentor because I don't know anyone that has personally gone through banding. I have some friends that have had gastric bypass and have done well, but some just look tired and sick.

My fiance doesn't really understand why I need to get banded. Part of him understands, but the jealous part thinks I am just trying to look good to attract the opposite sex. I have explained the health benefits and he says he wants me to be healthy, but thinks I can do something other than surgery. He has seen me go up and down in weight and also been by my side when I am crying from frustration of being overweight. I hate it when we go shopping and he says he would like to see me wearing something skimpy from Victoria's Secret or Frederick's of Hollywood and I think to myself, "I couldn't even fit my leg in anything from those stores".

He says he doesn't think of me as being fat and he loves me no matter what. But I say, if he loves me then why not want me healthy? Am I wrong for saying or thinking that? I don't think so.

I am getting banded for me and me alone. Sometimes I feel I have no control over much of anything, but this I do.

It would be nice to have someone to talk to and help me through this exciting journey I am about to begin. Everytime I bring it up with my fiance, Michael, he doesn't really want to talk about it. He says he supports me, but I don't think he truly does.

I guess this is all I will say for now. I look forward to meeting someone to share this experience with.:rolleyes2:

Edited by smarquezrn

Hey Stephanie!! I am Linda. I am also an RN from Texas. I live nearby in College Station. My in-laws live in a small town outside of Waco - Hubbard, TX. I was banded a few weeks ago on 5-27. Don't know if I can be much of a mentor, since I am a newbie too, but I'd love to try. If not, we just just be banded buddies.

I am 32, I have 3 kids, ages 13, 3, and my baby will be 1 on the 25th. My hubby didn't think I needed the band either, but I convinced him that I did. I had to pay for it, because my BMI was just at the acceptable BMI for surgery. But, I was and am still sick of the weight struggle. I hear that having weight loss surgery can cause problems with an already struggling relationship. Most strong realtionships can weather the storm. If this is what you really want to do, stay strong and don't let anyone get you down. If it is meant to be it will all work out!

People who have had WLS and look tired and sick usually are not getting enough daily Protein. I try to get all my Protein in the form of food because I hate protein drinks/shakes, they make me gag. Just thinking about them right now makes me want to gag, LOL! Although, the New-Whey liquid Protein vials are okay if you mix them with Water and sugar free kool-aid mix, then you can hardly taste the Protein Drink. I get them really cheap on e-bay too, just make sure you ask when the expiration date is if ordering them on e-bay.

Let me know how your pre-op appointment goes. I'll say a little prayer for you. Feel free to message me with any questions/concerns or if you just need to chat!!

Thanks so much Linda. I would really appreciate having you as a band buddy.

I thought it was funny how we have the same ticker design, LOL!!!

My fiance came to visit me here at work and when I mentioned something related to the surgery, he just kind of shut down. I am going to have it done, no matter what he says and he will just learn to deal with it or he won't. I don't want to make it sound as though I don't care about his feelings, but this is about me and my health. Not about him, not about trying to find anyone else, and not to please anyone but me.

He had offered to pay for my surgery but I decided to pay for it myself when he kept putting me off and making excuses or delays. He says its not about the money, when I asked. He said it was more about me and if I really wanted it and why. I told him it was my health and I would find a way to pay for it myself if he was so against it and not wanting to pay for it any longer. So now I am funding my surgery using my 401k, which won't be too bad since I can deduct it from my taxes.

We have already gone through so much together, I would think nothing could tear us apart, but if it does, then maybe he and I were the thing not meant to be. It is not like our relationship is fairly new and we decided to get married. We have been together for 6 yrs and engaged for 3. He would do just about anything for me, but seems hesitant about this.

I want so much just to be able to get a good nights sleep or go for a long walk without my knees and ankles hurting. This is kind of funny, but last year I fell three different times while wearing high heels. I attribute that to being overweight and having weak ankles. I have mild sleep apnea and starting to develop high blood pressure. I have not been diagnosed with high blood pressure, but it is higher than it has been and my mother has hypertension, sleep apnea, depression, hypothyroidism, etc....you name it, she probably has it and I didn't want that to be me.

Sorry to ramble on so much. I am work right now and we only have 3 kids on the unit. I am on here trying to stay awake. Thanks so much for being here for me. I will keep you updated.

smarquezrn---

I am 52 years old and have had an off but mostly on relationship with a man for 28 1/2 years. It is interesting to hear your conversation about your fiance's re-actions. I will tell you that my "what ever he is" is not even sort of reliable about anything with respect to us except.....this. He is enthusiastic, concerned, watchful, everything I ever wanted from him in life, he is about this procedure. I can't tell you how good he has been. (and I have had some disappointing set backs that I won't tell you about now---we'll talk about it in a month okay?) I guess that's why I am a little suspicious about your man's re-action. It kind of sounds like there is alot more to this than he is admitting I am living what you don't want toooo--sore ankles, crashing knees, joint pain to die for, frickin c-pap machine, etc. I choose to believe this is worth it--I also paid cash for mine by loan via my retirement....

In other words--honey, do what you know you need to do for you! I am sorry sweetie is being so odd but believe me, when it starts to come off and you can run circles around him, you will be doing the dance of joy!!!! If he wants to join in the dance hoooray but if not you still must dance.

Hi, Queen Jane, I love your name. Im Jane too. Im not scheduled for surgery until July 8th, so Im a newbie too, so I can offer to mentor anyone, but I can be a buddy to talk to since we are both having our surgerys close together. I havent tolk my parents yet, Im going to Mexico and plan on never telling them, though it will be hard. Like everyone else Im paying for it myself. PM me if you want to ever talk to a friend anytime. If nothing else we can talk each other down off the roof when we are hungry before our first fill.

Queen Jane & flowers,

Thanks for your replies. I almost thought I wasn't going to get the funding for this surgery in time, but it only took two days. Yeah!!! for me. I was so afraid this would be another set back, but I think this is a sign it was meant to be.

My HR retirement financial advisor at work told me to get a loan instead of withdrawing so I don't lose any money and continue to build my retirement. I didn't think I was able to get a loan for the cost of my surgery, but I was. I guess I had more than I thought.

Now I am really excited and jumping around bc I can do this without the money of my jealous, insecure fiance. He thought he was going to hold me back and keep me from this, but he is not.

Thanks for being so supportive; I so need that right now and throughout this journey. I can also be there for you if you just need to vent or just feel like talking. I wish both of you nothing but the very best.

Sincerely,

Stephanie---Waco, TX

Im in Texas too, so not only are we having surgery close together, but we are both Texans. Im up a little north of Dallas in Richardson TX.

Im in Texas too, so not only are we having surgery close together, but we are both Texans. Im up a little north of Dallas in Richardson TX.

There are quite a few people from Texas on the boards. Not too many from around my area, so I just group myself with the DFW people since my surgery is in Plano.

I really have enjoyed this website. Everyone is so supportive even if the views aren't always the same. We still all share something in common.

flowers,

Just realized your band date is the day before my 40th bday. Will be thinking of you.

Stephanie

There are quite a few people from Texas on the boards. Not too many from around my area, so I just group myself with the DFW people since my surgery is in Plano.

Richardson is right below Plano, so if you need any help, give me a call, I can go up and help you out. Im hearing it might be hard to do it alone like Im doing for things like tying your shoes afterwards and just putting your suitcase into the trunk of your car.

I could pm you my phone number if you think you might want a little help. Im thinking it seems like some folks breeze thru this and some say they didnt expect it to hurt so much.

flowers,

Just realized your band date is the day before my 40th bday. Will be thinking of you.

Stephanie

Ill try and think of you while Im having my surgery and aftermath. I called up someone who advertises on this site a cheaper summer price, but think Ill stick with what I have already scheduled. I think Im supposed to give them a deposit later this week.

smarquezrn you are coming to where I live and Im planning on hopping SW airlines to El Paso to have my surgery there. They will meet me at the airport and Ill spend 2 nights there with the surgery and nutrionist and whatever. All I have to do is manage to sit on the plane and drive myself home from Love Field. People say sitting is hard, laying or standing is much easier at first. I cant take a pain pill either and drive myself home across Dallas. Im already worrying about every little detail like that lol. Hopefully, we will both swim right thru our surgery easy.

Hey guys--I have gone this process-2x's--it really is not that bad...I never had the issues you have described. (sitting etc.) It is a little uncomfortable but my doc prescribed nasal spray for pain and I think I still have it 2x's in my cabinet....had some initial queezy stomach but had my banding in a surgery center 45 miles from my house. My sister came and drove me back and forth but I just went home and slept. I think you might be pleasantly surprised....I was a little achey and sometimes movement was odd but I think it has more to do with adjustment to the port. You will fly through it!

flowers,

You are so sweet to offer your assistance. Thank you so much. My fiance will be there with me, even though he doesn't agree with the surgery. To be honest with you, he will do whatever I want when he has this fear I may just tell him to go his way. I don't like being that way with him, not by any means, but with all this man has put me through this past year, I don't think he has any right to tell me anything. He just ought to thank his lucky stars I am still with him.

This surgery I am doing for me and for me alone. I am tired of worrying about what he thinks or anyone else for that matter. This is about me. I promised myself when I turned 40, I would make my life more about making me happy and that is what I intend to do. My bday is July 9th and this is my present to me.

Let me know if you need anything as well. Your area is only 2 hours from me. Not too far. Or if you just need a friendly, understanding person to talk to, I will be here for you. I will send you my cell number. I keep that on me at all times.

QueenJane,

Thanks for all your support and encouragement. It means more to me than you know.

hooray for you girlie-you get in there and just kick a___!!!! you now sound like a woman on a mission and as i said before--- you deserve to do that dance and if sweetie wants to join--fine but,if not, you still go girl and dance by and for yourself!!!!!!! welcome to the opprotunity to be the best self you will ever be!!!

hooray for you girlie-you get in there and just kick a___!!!! you now sound like a woman on a mission and as i said before--- you deserve to do that dance and if sweetie wants to join--fine but,if not, you still go girl and dance by and for yourself!!!!!!!welcome to the opprotunity to be the best self you will ever be!!!

You are oh so right!! We got into an argument today over my upcoming surgery and he knows I will do it with or without him. I am so ready to get on that dance floor and tear it up, LOL!!!!!

Thanks again for being there. I will let you know how my pre-op appt goes tomorrow afternoon.

I am working now, but took a break to check in and see how everyone is doing.

Have a great night.