Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Today - Went Great!

I'm really sorry for the people whose first fill experiences were not very good.... I was really anxious about mine, especially since my port area is still intermittently sore and tender. The very thought of injecting a needle into my port was making me cringe. Fortunately, this morning for my first fill, it wasn't one of those sore times. The fill went great, and I just wanted to share that to give another perspective for those who are as nervous about their first fill as I was.

I asked the nurse if they use a numbing agent and she said no. She said the needle for the lidocaine stings and is just as bad as the needle for the fill. I told her I was anxious about that because of the intermittent pain I'm experiencing. She suggested that if it was painful for me when she was feeling around for the port, she would use the numbing agent; or, if I experienced pain at any time, to let her know and she'd stop what she was doing and use the lidocaine.

Well, it didn't hurt a bit when she felt around for my port so we proceeded without the numbing agent, and the injection for the fill wasn't bad at all, I really hardly even knew she had started the injection.

I have the Realize band and she injected 3 cc's. I don't notice any restriction -- I drank a MediFast Protein drink for Breakfast afterwards with no problem, but she felt I'd notice it more with solid food. Unlike a lot of doctors, they do not require a liquid or mushy diet after a fill. She said if I felt more comfortable (safer) eating mushies today that's fine, but they'd like me on solid food by tomorrow so if I'm going to have any problems with the fill, we will know it sooner rather than later and they can get me back in there. She said they'd much rather me not keep the band too tight and "wait it out" for a week or so, as that can cause problems down the road. I brought some chicken noodle Soup that I put through the blender, for my lunch today, assuming they'd want me on liquids, but now I might go get something light for lunch just to test out the fill.

She said if I go 24 hours without being able to eat solids they want to know.

I lost 10 pounds since my post-op appointment 3 weeks ago. She said some people don't lose any weight at all. I confessed that I had been a little bit nervous about whether they'd give me a fill if I lost too much weight. She said they don't use that to determine whether you can have a fill or not. They go by what your portion sizes are and whether that portion size satisfies you, how difficult it is to push yourself away from the table, and how soon you are hungry again.

They had me make two more appointments for additional fills... one in 2 weeks, and the next one 2 weeks after that.

So anyway.... every doctor is different, and so are each of us.... but that was my experience today. I'm no longer a fill virgin!! :teeth_smile:

Thanks for sharing! The info helps a lot. I have my first fill on the 20th. I'm so looking forward to it.

I just wanted to say that my fill was also pain-free. Yeah!! I was a little nervous after reading some of the horror stories. My doc used an ultra-

sound to find the port and put the needle right in. No discomfort at all. I also don't have to be on liquids or any special diet. He is more lenient and told me to listen to my body. So we will see. I have my second fill July 3rd hopefully it goes as smooth.

Laura

I had my first fill today; I'm 3 months post op and my dr only put in .5cc. On liquids for a couple of days. The fill didn't hurt and it was so quick. But I can't tell if I feel different or not. Anyone else feel this way or is it too soon to know? Thanks....

Northwest Nance, thanks so much for sharing your information about your 1st fill. My friend and I were banded on May 8th and our 1st fill will be June 20th and we are nervous about it. I am really relieved now and I think she will be too. We have been getting more hungry as the days go by and are looking forward to the help of our fills. Thanks for sharing and best wishes to all of us!!:rolleyes2::thumbup::)

Hi Nance,

I also had my first fill today. I was banded in Mexico but saw a local Dr. for the fill. I thought it might be a problem since he was not the surgeon but it was a breeze. I only got 1cc which was a little disappointing but I go back in 2 weeks for another. No numbing agent either, just $200 and 30 seconds and I was out the door. We should make money like that huh? :-)

Sally

I too have been nervous about my first fill .. It will be the 2nd of July ..This has eased my mind so much . Thank-you all for all the updates and info ..

Hey Sally! How goes it?!! Weight coming off for ya?? I've got a couple questions I'd like to message you if ya don't mind!! Just noticed your post and I thought we had the same band?? Maybe not? Anyway, mine's a 10cm band that holds 4ccs. Kinda confusing, but that's what it says on the box/book that came with it. Anyhoo, you should message me! Reply here or send me a private message;) I'm off to the gym to recapture my youth--hitting the big 3-0 today! :)

Have a good one!

Jaclyn