Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday, i got a few questions

Hi all, i was banded yesterday...im not in as much pain as i thought i would be in. A few qustions:

1. Im feeling kinda of good, and i imagine in a few days i will be feeling tons better, does this mean i can lift my 25 lb. son?

2. I have not set a goal weight/BMI how do i determine this?

3. how long does it take for this annohying shoulder/gas feeling in my body?

4. Im SOO THIRSTY! But im afraid to drink Water quickly, will it make me sick if i do?

Thanks all, thats it for now, im sure more questioins will come up later....

Crystal

Hi!

ive not been banded yet so cant answer all of your questions but as for the Water one, i would suggest drinking little and often. Small sips, its important that you dont get dehydrated.

As for your goal weight, if you google a bmi chart and track your weight against your height it should tell you what weight you should be for your height. In the uk my bmi should be between 18-25. (slight annoying as i have 3 stone to play with. But untimatly i not going to go according to my bmi but on how i look. :teeth_smile:

xx

1. you shouldnt lift your son or anything that is 25 lbs till you are at least a 2 weeks post op, your band is stitched in place and needs to heal..would hate for you to pull your stitches and have problems

2. your goal weight is totally up to you...i set mini goals so they seem more reachable but do whatever motivates you

3.the shoulder gas pain will go away the more you walk it out, i know for myself that pain was what i didnt like, i could deal with the sore stomach lol

4. i know the urge to drink fast is hard to resist but i wouldnt recommend it for a bit..i can do it now (5 weeks post-op) but all the swelling had to go down before my body would allow that to happen...if you drink too fast your body will let you know (it will feel like you have a big burp stuck in your chest lol)

good luck

jewel

I was banded on Friday June 6th. So it gets better but the shoulder pain is so annoying. I use a heating pad and take extra strenght tylenol (one at a time).

I can not carry my 3 year old. She climbs on me to sit on my lap & I tried to bathe her the other night but I wore myself out. My husband helped with lifting her & helping her dress after her bath. It's tough not to be able to carry your child. I think the lift restrictions are for 6 weeks.

Hang in there!

It is sooo hard not to lift, snuggle, carry my 2 yr old daughter. She can climb in my lap for books at bedtime, and I got a two step stepstool so she can climb to her changing table and into her crib. I notice that she is really irritable, and I think it's because I haven't been able to do the normal things I do with her. I think she's feeling alittle neglected! So, Don't lift! be creative - it's tough but you'd hate to rip stitches or pull something after coming this far! Good luck!

jere,

i was banded on the 12th and having a hard time feeling like i want something to eat. In fact, I am not at all hungry. Yesterday I took my meds and used Water twice to get both down. I then took a drink of crystal lite. I found out what a productive burp is. I drank to much at one time and i started feeling like i was going to throw up and my mouth started watering badly and just when I thought I was going to throw up I had this really big belch come up. I never did throw up but learned that you can only take small sips at a time. Yesterday I had 2 Protein Shakes and a tsp of Tomato Soup. I couldnt eat anything else except sip Water. While I was in the shower while ago, I think I could almost feel a panic attack coming on thinking how am I going to be able to eat again. Not like I use to eat but be able to eat at all.

jere,

i was banded on the 12th and having a hard time feeling like i want something to eat. In fact, I am not at all hungry. Yesterday I took my meds and used Water twice to get both down. I then took a drink of crystal lite. I found out what a productive burp is. I drank to much at one time and i started feeling like i was going to throw up and my mouth started watering badly and just when I thought I was going to throw up I had this really big belch come up. I never did throw up but learned that you can only take small sips at a time. Yesterday I had 2 Protein Shakes and a tsp of Tomato Soup. I couldnt eat anything else except sip Water. While I was in the shower while ago, I think I could almost feel a panic attack coming on thinking how am I going to be able to eat again. Not like I use to eat but be able to eat at all.

I promise you'll be able to eat again. I was banded on 5/19, and felt just like you do for the first couple weeks. liquids were even a struggle. But, as soon as my stomach swelling went down, hunger returned and I started eating little bits of mushies. You'll do just fine!

re: water: Tip: shot glass. Sip sip sip. Might take 20 minutes to empty it.

Then get another. Sip sip sip. Sip sip sip. Sip sip sip. PRN.

My first postOp day it took 12 HOURS to get 1 liter down!

A shot glass is a really good idea. I will have to try this out after I am banded. Thanks.:)

Well u shouldn't lift anything over 10lbs actually... it is very hard not to... but if u do u will risk your stitches being pulled away from the port. My son is a huge brat.. and with his big azz he is always like mommy pick me up.... plz... i just want to give u a hug... and then he hooks his arms around my neck and wont let go... It is truly hard.. but I told him that mommy tummy hurts so i cant pick him up right now and he was like ok... mommy u will feel better ok... and everyday he is like mommy is your tummy ok yet? and I have to be careful to say not yet... because he will say ok... pick me up then...lol.

Hi Guys!

A medicine cup works good too. It's actually good because it provides a measuring cup of how much you can tolerate. I was banded on Monday and this morning I actually was able to tolerate 4 oz of Soup, but haven't been hungry all day, but it's progress.

As far as picking up the kids, I have 3 year old twin boys who are very active and I show them the bandages and the bruising and since my abdomen is black and blue they seem to understand. They keep asking me if I'm better because they want me to pick them up, but that can not only pop your stitches it can give you a hernia. Be Careful!