Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ouch! Stuck, Stuck, Stuck!

Okay, I'm an idiot. I woke up with a headache during the night, and popped some Advil. I haven't had a problem up to now, but last night one of them got stuck. I woke up in pain this morning and couldn't even get Water down. I walked around for a while and drank some warm water, and I think it went down, because I was able to drink water after that. I thought I'd better stick with soft foods today, so I'm having a cup of noodles for Breakfast, but that hurts, too! I got a cup of warm tea, so I'm hoping that helps. Any idea how long I should wait before trying food again?

I just replied to a question just like this on the general forum. I had my first stuck experience last week, and originally, just thought I'd try to "eat through it", really focusing on small bites and chewing. Unfortunately, it just lead to 2 more time of food getting stuck and me having to throw up. I'm sure it was from inflammation and swelling in the stomach and at the band site from the original thing that got stuck.

Anyway, I ended up doing liquids for 24hrs (soups, Protein Shakes, yogurt) and then soft foods for 24hrs and since then I haven't had a problem.

Good morning All,

My questions also relates to Advil & Ibruprophen. I heard somewhere that Bandsters should not take them. I have severe cramps for the first two days of my monthly cycle and Tylenol #3 does not do the trick. They only make me drowsy. The Ibruprophen however, knocks them out! Does anyone know whether I'll erode my band by taken approx 800 mg every 6 hrs for two day a month? I'm really concerned about this and fear my periods. BTW... I'm only 45 days pre-op.

I, too, was told to not use and/or limit Ibuprofen. Occasionally, I just have to have some to get rid of a headache or knee pain. One of the people in clinic told me that using the liquid gels are better because they get absorbed faster and break down faster so they are less likely to get stuck and cause a problem.

Ouch! I'm so scared of that happening. The last few times I've had a headache I took Tylenol meltaways instead of trying to take something I had to swallow.

I've heard that you should stick with liquids for a day after you get stuck. Hopefully that will help. If it keeps hurting, I would call the doctor.

I've never thought that Tylenol worked as well on headaches as Advil. I do have some liquid Tylenol at home, so I guess I'll use that from now on. I'm just glad I didn't have to go in for that ugly "U-word." (Unfill) Yikes!

Hmmm. Both Advil (Ibuprofen) and aspirin reduce inflamation. Curious that they advise not using them.

My dr said they can cause ulcers if they sit in your upper pouch too long. She also said they wouldn't errode my band since it is on the outside and the med would be on the inside.

I think large doses of Ibuprofen can cause ulcers with our without the band. I take 800mg Ibuprofen about once a week with my Dr.'s blessing. I think if an Advil is getting stuck you might be too tight. Sorry you're experiencing pain and I hope you feel better soon!

I take Aleve on occasion. Especially during that time. Nothing helps but that. Not even Advil or Motrin. I too was advised against it for the reason mentioned above. It is really hard on the stomach.

I have a pill crusher and I crush them to small kernels and swallow it fast. I then drink plenty of Water afterward to help it get out of my small pouch. I eat it with pudding or soft food to also help get out of the pouch quick. I was told to always eat a little something with it to protect your stomach as well.

I found that Naproxin works better than Ibuprophen because it's much easier on the stomach. I too have health issues that require a consistant amount of medicine assistance, but Naproxin and then the Tylonol Rapid Release chewables are 500mg and they seem to work without upsetting my stomach...

Advil and Motrin both come in a children's liquid that would not get stuck. I think the reason they tell us to stay away from nsaids is because of the potential for stomach irritation. At least with liquid it is not sitting in the small pouch to cause irritation.