Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you find the hardest to deal with post op?

Hi everyone.

I am pre-op, waiting for a date. I am researching as much as I can and as I am sitting here I am sipping a cup of and not really thinking too much about how fast I am gulping it down.

These questions have been going through my mind for the last few days.

What did you find the most difficult to come to terms with after your surgery?.

Which habits did you find hardest to break?

If you feel really thirsty can you 'gulp' drinks? or is that where sipping every 15 minutes comes in??..

Thanks..

I am 5 days post op and let me tell what's bothering me most . . . although I am sure it will change with time:

- the aftertaste of splenda-ish type stuff in my mouth since I'm still on Clear Liquids, sugar free. gag.

- speed bumps (it just hurts to go over them when I'm riding in the car).

- not being able to pick up my kids yet

- tight clothing.

I'm not "stomach" hungry, so food doesn't really matter. I am, however, "head" hungry. So I have to keep myself entertained.

Hi everyone.

I am pre-op, waiting for a date. I am researching as much as I can and as I am sitting here I am sipping a cup of and not really thinking too much about how fast I am gulping it down.

These questions have been going through my mind for the last few days.

What did you find the most difficult to come to terms with after your surgery?.

Which habits did you find hardest to break?

If you feel really thirsty can you 'gulp' drinks? or is that where sipping every 15 minutes comes in??..

Thanks..

Hello,

My most difficult this is to lotion my left leg and foot. "lol" Because my port is on my left side.

I do feel thirsty sometimes but a sip is just enough right know. And I haven't felt hungry since I had the surgery which was on May 21st. Well good luck to you and keep in touch.

Guest Leslie2Lose

The toughest part for me was liquid hell. The week post-op and being on straight liquids. Mushy hell was pretty bad too. I was so happy, you'd thought it was Christmas and I was five years old again, when I was able to eat regular foods again.

I haven't had much of an issue with Water. It was hard initially, after surgery, because I was still so swollen - I just didn't want anything to drink or eat. Once the swelling went down and the hunger returned Water wasn't an issue for me.

Right now I'm waiting for my first fill - so I'm in banster hell right now. I'm hungry all the time since I don't have any restriction and the will-power is about at its breaking point. I'm having surgery on Friday to correct a flipped port and the doctor is going to do my fill then. I'm praying for restriction.

I'm almost 5wks post...I can't rub lotion onto my RIGHT leg and foot due to my port! I have to be more tedious than with my left.

Other than that, no issues..because I wanted this so bad.

I accidently gulped Water down one day after post op and it made me very uncomfortable. Take my advice sip, and sip slowly.

Just like Leslie, I too am in bandster hell. This is my most difficult time. I was able to eat full liquids the first 2 weeks, no problem. I start the mushies tomorrow, but am wanting food like there's no tomorrow. I'm so upset because I don't want to gain the weight I've lost so far. Like others, I can't wait until my first fill - Brenda

Just like Leslie, I too am in bandster hell. This is my most difficult time. I was able to eat full liquids the first 2 weeks, no problem. I start the mushies tomorrow, but am wanting food like there's no tomorrow. I'm so upset because I don't want to gain the weight I've lost so far. Like others, I can't wait until my first fill - Brenda

:thumbdown:I was right were you were a few days ago and TRUST me when I tell you don't start the mushies too soon...I was craving something other then liquid so I ate some refried Beans :drool:watered down with taco sauce..I know I know..I know..let me say that again ..I know...not a good idea:ohmy::thumbup:...oh it was wonderful and I took itty bitty bites...but I haven't been able to tolerate much since then:cursing:...tried Soups no go:confused_smile:...even hurt some with liquids..today I have been able to tolerate liquids all day with pretty much no discomfort....so trust me don't go to fast to soon..or you will end up like me..although I have to say for the first time in my life other then my family...food didn't come first..I am more then willing to forgo that bite so as to not hurt like that again....funny...how that works...:grouphug: never had will power like this before...:behindsofa:

The desire to eat. For me, eating was a hobby, a way to kill some time, socialization, bonding, comfort....everything! In the old days, when I had a bad day at work I would stop by McDonalds for a double cheeseburger, large fries, and large coke. If I had some time to kill at the airport, I would go to Quiznos to get a sandwich and a coke. Its been hard to change my focus away from food...and I'm not completely there yet. I find myself wanting to eat, even though I'm not hungry. Its even a little sad for me...like I've lost my best friend. But its the best thing for me, and I need to be able to look at food as a way to nourish my body rather than as emotional comfort. I think the band is the only way that I will ever be able to do that.

When I had my first fill, I had gone there with an empty stomach. After my doctor did the fill, I was suppose to drink. I was really thirsty, so without thinking, I took a big gulp - it felt like I drank a golf ball. I wasn't sure it would go down. I am also having a hard time getting used to my new portion sizes. That is a good problem to have. It teaches me to eat slow so I don't hurt by eating too much.

Why doesnt Water just flow right through causing no problems? And how can you possibly get enough fluids just taking sips all day? It just doesnt seem like enough. I have been wondering this. Thanks

A couple of weeks after my surgery (3/31/08) I was able to drink more than sips of Water or liquid. I'd start drinking like I normally would before the surgery, but then I would catch myself and start to sip again. Now I'm 2 months post-op and I drink water like I did before the surgery (gulps of water sometimes) and I have no problem. The day of my fill and the first couple of days after I stuck with the sips because I could fill the water going down and staying in my pouch a little bit. But since then water is no problem. I think the hardest thing to deal with is knowing that I can't just "pig out" and eat like I used to before surgery. I get full a lot quicker and its hard to stop sometimes, but I do because I don't want to make myself sick or expand my pouch too much. I went to a restaurant recently and ordered with friends fried zucchini to share and I only had 2 pieces. It was a little frustrating because in my head I wanted more (I always want more), but I knew I just couldn't do it. I think the psychological issues around food are the most difficult to deal with and get over. I'm not sure when or if I ever will have a handle on it.

I'm 5 days post-op and it's hardest when I'm feeding the family and I want some too. I'll take a bite or two but spit it out after chewing it. I miss chewing things:-) No sure if I could do this or not but I really wanted some watermelon, so I ate the juice and spit out the pulp. I think what I will miss most is the social eating (christmas, thankgiving, going out w/ friends and husband).

My surgery is on 6-13-08. Any advice or tips on what to expect post-op. I am a little worried about the small sips of Water I am supose to take. I have always been a gulper. I have gotten sippy cups but its hard to get enough water throughout the day with those.

Congratulations on your op!.. I have 6 days left until I go in for my 'band'.

I understand what you say about missing out on the social aspect of eating. I have always been a great entertainer and known for my great dinner parties and buffets etc.. I love to cook and feed people.. and I love to taste!.. Christmas will be really hard this year as I always cook for my whole family and enjoy preparing all the little things.. and of course eating them..

.. but.. for the sake of one day out of the year.. I would prefer to be in a smaller dress size!.. and not have such pain in my knees! and not feel my belly on my thighs!. I know I haven't had the surgery yet.. and in a week I will more than likely be screaming at myself.. "what have you done!?" but I will look back on these posts and remind myself of the bigger goal!.. and I will still enjoy cooking and tasting.. I just won't stuff my face to the point of explosion!!!.. and then go back for more.. . it will be very interesting this 'mindfull eating'..

Well done you..and keep up the good work.. surely a little watermelon juice isn't going to hurt you too much ??..

all the best!