Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering getting banded, but....

So I am new here and still trying to make the decision of the band or the bypass. Now while I'm not at all keen on getting my insides rearranged permanently, I have also read a lot of negative comments on the band on this website. I realize there are going to be people who with the bypass or the band they will have problems, and it not work as well. I just thought I had made my decision and I choose the band, but then I get on here and I see were people are wondering if they made the right decision. I would love some feedback. What makes this band work? I understand Portion Control, but it sounds like some people are using portion control and it's not working, and then I see where some people have lost 100+ pounds. So i'm just really confused. I read on one post where someone said there is a lot of 'head work' involved with the band. What did they mean? I have a lot of weight to loose, and it's taken me a while to even make the decision to get help with my battle, and I just want to make sure I make the right one, not make one and get disappointed. I'm willing to do the work, if in fact this band really does work. And I hope I'm not offending anyone on here, I'm just really confused... :confused2:

Hello

I just started in March 2008 and so far I have lost 27 pounds. However, if I had to do it again I would take the bypass. After your surgery and liquids for a few weeks you have to eat you are introduced back to normal eating within two months. It take will power, determination, Portion Control, and right choices - IT IS NOT EASY! You have to work at it and do your part. However, there are others that the weight is just dropping of them. You have to do what's best for you and your life style. I have over 100 pounds to lose, but I have time. I wish you the best in your decision whatever you decided.

So I am new here and still trying to make the decision of the band or the bypass. Now while I'm not at all keen on getting my insides rearranged permanently, I have also read a lot of negative comments on the band on this website. I realize there are going to be people who with the bypass or the band they will have problems, and it not work as well. I just thought I had made my decision and I choose the band, but then I get on here and I see were people are wondering if they made the right decision. I would love some feedback. What makes this band work? I understand Portion Control, but it sounds like some people are using portion control and it's not working, and then I see where some people have lost 100+ pounds. So i'm just really confused. I read on one post where someone said there is a lot of 'head work' involved with the band. What did they mean? I have a lot of weight to loose, and it's taken me a while to even make the decision to get help with my battle, and I just want to make sure I make the right one, not make one and get disappointed. I'm willing to do the work, if in fact this band really does work. And I hope I'm not offending anyone on here, I'm just really confused... :confused2:

There has been quite a bit of negativity on here lately, I do agree to that. I myself have a lot of weight to lose you can see by looking at my ticker. I started at 419 lbs and I am down to 407 from being on a diet for my insurance. I haven't had the surgery yet but I plan to be banded in November. Bypass may be the decision for some but in the long run, and short run, it's a lot more dangerous than lapband. With bypass they reroute your stomach and intestines, you have dumping syndrome, you pretty much can't have suger anymore, your hair falls out, you can bleed out, mortality rates are higher, longer hospital stay, longer recovery, you can gain it all back, your insides are all cut up etc.

With lapband, it controls your portions, makes you full quicker, it can be adjusted loose or tighter, shorter hospital stay, shorter recovery time, no dumping syndrome or less likely to get it, less likely to have hair fall out, you can still have sugar, less likely to have internal problems, less chance of mortality etc. If you happen to gain weight back you can go have it reajusted so you are more satisfied again, and it's a lot easier to reverse, and cheaper etc.

As for working hard. You have to have willpower, exercise, and try to eat right no matter what type of surgery you have. I have seen people have bypass and gain everything back but I've also seen people with lapband gain everything back, then they go get a fill and adjusted and start losing again. The band is a tool placed inside of you to help curb your appetite, if you eat the wrong kinds of foods such as sliders (chocolate chips etc) you will get hungry quicker and probably eat too much and gain weight. If you eat foods rich in Protein they will fill up your pouch and should work considerably in making you not hungry for an extended period of time.

Either way with everyone it's different. No matter which surgery you choose I wish you luck and I hope all of the negativity on the forum lately hasn't scared you off. Try to find the positive threads too, because lapband has worked for many many people some have lost over 200 lbs and are still losing! All in all there are going to be failures, and they're are going to be successes. There's always a possibility for problems too and that always needs to be in the back of your mind. If you feel something is wrong call your doc etc. You can always come on here for help, or encouragement whatever it may be. We are all here to help one another in these journeys we are taking in order to be healthier and happier.

I wish you lots of luck and hope to hear more from you soon. Don't be discouraged, just keep looking up info, talk to your doctors, and keep a positive attitude. The answer will come to you.:tongue2:

Edited by froggi1985

go to www.lapband.com its the manufacturer website and their is a video to tell you all about whats going on in their. not that it makes any difference but the reason I'm getting lapband instead of gastric bypass is mi aunt and i have the same life fat genes and she had bypass done and lost but has an awful scare and when she started having less restriction she couldn't have the Dr's do anything about it with lap band you can. you have more help and your less on you're own. my aunt is really encouraging me to get lap band done she said she wishes she would have looked into it more when she was getting hers done she would have chosen it instead of bypass. she broke her ankle and had to be off of her feet work weeks and she gained a lot of weight back and now she is having a REALLY hard time loosing it. i just feel like i will have more help with lapband like if i still want to eat too much then they make it to where i cant. you don't get that with bypass you get one size and your stuck with it with lapband it changes sizes according to my goals. also some of the people on here complain that they aren't loosing and its cause they went from eating 2 big macks to eating 2 cheese burgers and think that that is restriction. news flash it is all unneeded calories that will only work against you!!!! but i will say that their are some who do what they are told and still aren't losing but i have read enough of these posts to think that its only because they haven't gotten to the right place yet you have to get to that certain place (or sweet spot) or in the ballpark of that and then you loose. good luck tho and good for you for looking at both first. i am in the insurance phase so i don't have a date for banding yet.

Edited by hollyncharm

Froggie,

Thank you so much for your response. You made perfect sense, and did help calm my anxieties for now. I want to have the band done. That was my initial decision, and if I've learned anything in my life, it's to stick with your intial decision. I guess just knowing how much weight I have to loose, the mountain seems so hard to climb, and i just want to make sure I have the best tools to get to the top. I'm new at this whole forum/blog thing so I'm not sure how to keep in touch, but I would like to keep in touch with you on your journey as well. let me know how? thanks again:-)

thanks holly! Someone in my family has had the bypass and she also wishes that she had the band. I really like this website, it seems to have a lot of info on it. I have been to the lapband.com, but haven't watched the video yet. Will have to do that. Thanks so much for responding. Good luck with your insurance. keep in touch

gapeach76

Both banding and bypass take a life long committement to obtain and maintain weight loss. Studies show that us banded folks lose weight less rapidly initially but at 2 years post surgery have nearly the same weight loss. A recent study that looked at >1700 banded patients showed that they maintained weight loss with follow-up as long as 12 years after surgery. The "head work" has more to do with weight loss and changing eating patterns than what method a person choses to lose weight, IMO.

I have >100 lbs to lose and have been morbidly obese since childhood. When the time came to chose surgery I "knew" the banding was best for me. I have only been banded for 2 weeks but I know it will give me the tool I have needed for a long time.

Be patient with yourself and take your time to make this decision. Good luck!

Just like your decision to have weight loss surgery is personal, my opinion is that the success with the band is personal too. Pre-surgery, I too came to this site and what I gathered was that more people seemed positive than negative, thus what did I have to loose -but weight! :biggrin: We are all different, so my (non-medical) analysis was that it seems like some of it may have to do with age and starting weight. I know my Doc doesn't do lap-band for people with BMI over 50 b/c he said it's not very effective.

As for me, my pre-surgery BMI was 48, and I'm trilled with the results. I wish I would have done it years ago! My band is my new best friend! Good Luck with whatever decision you make!

weight.png

Banded 2/04/08 and feeling great!

your welcome. I'm super scared about getting it but i keep going with my initial idea, like you said. i tend to make excuses for things and then end up backing out but i really want this and i keep telling myself I'm getting it. it helps when i tell other people. i have gotten more positive then negative. and every time i see a thin girl in a sun dress i smile cause next year that will be me but I will look BETTER than her ha ha ha ha : )

Froggie,

Thank you so much for your response. You made perfect sense, and did help calm my anxieties for now. I want to have the band done. That was my initial decision, and if I've learned anything in my life, it's to stick with your intial decision. I guess just knowing how much weight I have to loose, the mountain seems so hard to climb, and i just want to make sure I have the best tools to get to the top. I'm new at this whole forum/blog thing so I'm not sure how to keep in touch, but I would like to keep in touch with you on your journey as well. let me know how? thanks again:-)

We can keep in touch on here by private messaging, or if you have yahoo, or aim we can talk on there. Or email.

I understand fully about what you mean with losing so much weight, a lot of us do. I have been over 400 lbs since I was 15 and I have been obese since I was like 2 years old. We just gotta think positive you know? I'd talk to your doc and learn as much as I can about lapband and on here aswell. I have learned soooooooo much on this forum. Everyone is so nice and helpful. We just gotta go through things day by day. Hope to hear from you again.:biggrin:

and every time i see a thin girl in a sun dress i smile cause next year that will be me but I will look BETTER than her ha ha ha ha : )

Haha that's a wonderful way to think. I wish you luck with the insurance woes. I too am in the insurance stage, tis not much fun.

GAPeach76,

There are always pros and cons. But try to see the percentage of each. There are much more people who are not having any problems with the lapband than are. As I'm sure its the same with GBP. I have a friend who had GBP several years ago. He lost 200 lbs then he started eating more and more and has gained back 100. He has restretched his stomach and can't adjust it. He is now thinking of getting the band....

The issues that sold me on the band were:

*Surgery is less invasive with faster recovery time

*There are no malabsorption problems

*You lose weight a little slower and healthier, less loose skin

*Its adjustible to help weight loss if you gain some back

*Mortality rate was much lower

*Its reversible if for some reason you need to remove the band

Its the best thing I have ever done for myself and my health. I've lost 31 lbs in the last 3 months.

Good luck with your decision,

Yvonne

your welcome. I'm super scared about getting it but i keep going with my initial idea, like you said. i tend to make excuses for things and then end up backing out but i really want this and i keep telling myself I'm getting it. it helps when i tell other people. i have gotten more positive then negative. and every time i see a thin girl in a sun dress i smile cause next year that will be me but I will look BETTER than her ha ha ha ha : )

Now there is positive thinking. :biggrin: You'll have to keep us posted on that!

I was banded last September. On Sept 27th of this year, my one year anniversary, I will be doing my second triathlon. The band may not work for everyone, but it has helped me not do one thing: binge. That's what killed every diet I ever tried. I was a huge portion eater, not a grazer. Maybe that's why the band helped me.

What makes this band work?

You do!

Getting the lap-band instead of GBS is completely 100% a personal choice. No one surgery is promised to work better than another. Each has its pros and cons. Do a comparison with both and write down what is the most important for you to get out of this surgery and write down what each can accomplish and how well.

This is a major big deal and either way your life is going to change dramatically. Always remember though, no matter what you decide -- YOU ARE WORTH IT!!