Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOT Really losing Weight?!?!?

I have had the surgery 5/8. I was on a clear diet for a week. Then was told I can eat reg. soft foods. I think I am eating too much?!?!? Can anyone give me a diet?!?! What did you do after the surgery?!?! I went throught toooo much to stop now! I told my md that I don't feel any restrictions and he said there is none. I won't get any for three more weeks. Please any advice would be great!!:smile::cursing::crying::wub::tongue2::scared2:

What and how much are you eating? Are you gaining?

You are still in the healing phase so your goal at this time really is not to lose weight. But I am at the same stage as you so I understand that you also want to maintain or lose during this time. I was banded on 5/30. My surgeon requires two weeks liquid, two weeks Protein before going to soft foods and my first fill will be at six weeks.

But once you start getting fills, then your weight loss should start.

Edited by Jodi_620

Many people plateau and some even gain weight about three weeks to a month after their surgery, especially right after transitioning back to mushies and then to regular food again. I'm not sure the reason for this, but I can tell you that I've seen it a hundred times since being on this and other forums. Focus on healing right now. The weight loss will come as you begin to get your fills. There is no need for panic. Just watch your carb intake (I try to stay under 30 grams a day) and drink LOTS of Water (it will help you feel less hungry).

Good luck!

I have had the surgery 5/8. I was on a clear diet for a week. Then was told I can eat reg. soft foods. I think I am eating too much?!?!? Can anyone give me a diet?!?! What did you do after the surgery?!?! I went throught toooo much to stop now! I told my md that I don't feel any restrictions and he said there is none. I won't get any for three more weeks. Please any advice would be great!!:smile::cursing::crying::wub::tongue2::scared2:

Try to eat no more than 1 cup of good quality food...mushy veggies, Beans, cottage cheese, eggs. You are going to be hungry as you have little to no restriction. Make sure to not drink while you are eating as it will make you hungrier. Try and stay away from Soups if at all possible. If you are hungry eat low calorie foods. At this point it is about healing and your body does need calories to heal. My doc told me about 700 calories a day is what I should be shooting for at this stage. Eating a lot of food has many different connotations: 1...eating a lot of calories and 2...eating a large volume. The two are not necessarily connected. Right now I am unfilled and eat large portions, but very few calories. If I would have known how much food you could eat for 1800 calories...I would have saved myself a few thousand dollars:rolleyes2:!

Are you exercising. A walk every night will help you maintain or lose weight even if you are eating more.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

I'm surprised you only had a week of liquids, I was on liquids for two weeks and mushy foods for two weeks. Remember to eat lots of Protein, Protein, protein. I ate lots of tuna salad with light mayo during my healing stage, also re-fried Beans, very high in protein.

Take care of your band, don't over eat, it's a tool, so remember to stop eating when you're full, don't just eat because you can, that's an old (bad) habit that we need to break.

Good Luck!

Congrats Salsa1877! 100lbs & a size 4, WOW!!! It's hard to even imagine. I hope to be like you in a year. I will be banded Friday.

Pincham2brn, I wouldn't be too concerned about not losing any weight. I have two friends that were banded and their doctor was more concerned about them healing, then losing at that stage. Once you are healed enough to get your first fill, things should change. Good luck!!!

Salsa,

Did you exercise a lot to lose that much that quickly? I was banded 4/15. all together, pre-op diet included I've only lost 24-26 lbs. I'm walking close to 2 miles every nite when I get home from work. scale is not budging. I feel like maybe I need to kick it up a notch with the exercising, maybe that will help?? I have very little restriction but have kept myself on Lean Cuisine's, smart one's etc. I dont have another fill til 7/15. I really thought this would be (pardon the pun,) a piece of cake!!

Salsa,

Did you exercise a lot to lose that much that quickly? I was banded 4/15. all together, pre-op diet included I've only lost 24-26 lbs. I'm walking close to 2 miles every nite when I get home from work. scale is not budging. I feel like maybe I need to kick it up a notch with the exercising, maybe that will help?? I have very little restriction but have kept myself on Lean Cuisine's, smart one's etc. I dont have another fill til 7/15. I really thought this would be (pardon the pun,) a piece of cake!!

I really wish that doctors would stress the fact that this is NOT a piece of cake. This really is VERY hard work. For my weight loss I would give the band only about 5-10% of the credit. I did everything else myself. I am the one that chose the right food, I am the one that drove myself to the gym and worked out, I am the one that didn't give in to head hunger. The band did none of that for me. The band just made sure that I didn't eat TOO MUCH food. Though as most of you will figure out...the band does not stop crap food...Chips, ice cream, Cookies all go down with ease. Rarely do people get stuck or PB on those. However, even totally unfilled the band will sometimes bring you to your knees...I just pb'd on chili!

I have worked out since the beginning, but I was pretty sporadic at first. I did find however that you do have to increase your intensity...find a place with hills or do interval training and walk fast for a few seconds/minutes (whatever you can start with). Then ADD WEIGHT TRAINING! This is huge...it has totally helped reshape my body. After I had lost about 50 pounds I REALLY started working out. 5-6 days per week and an hour at a time. I would increase the intensity every week. When I got to the point that I couldn't increase the intensity...I added something. Now I run 4-6 days per week. I just ran 11 straight miles yesterday, I will run 12 next Sunday and then 13.1 (my half-marathon) on June 28. I didn't do this overnight. I worked myself up to it. Exercise has to be part of your new lifestyle. The band has HELPED me change my lifestyle, but 95% of this is mental work.

Have you tried eating home cooked food? Those TV dinners are full of sodium and refined carbs that often don't stay with you for very long. If you go to my Mentoring Thread there are a bunch of recipes that take very little to put together. They are the staple foods that I lived on...and still do! http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f260/ready-willing-64799/

Karri

Thanks to all that reply. I feel 100% better. I have not gained any weight but I need to work on the food intake. I had my expectation sooooo high I thought I should have lost 50lbs by now?!?!??! And it doesn't help that my friends ask every day how much have I lost. That adds to the pressure. I have started exercising. treadmill 30min a day for 5 days. So cutting down to a cup of food will hlep also. I get my first fill 6/27.

:biggrin::wink_smile::thumbdown:

Thanks to all that reply. I feel 100% better. I have not gained any weight but I need to work on the food intake. I had my expectation sooooo high I thought I should have lost 50lbs by now?!?!??! And it doesn't help that my friends ask every day how much have I lost. That adds to the pressure. I have started exercising. treadmill 30min a day for 5 days. So cutting down to a cup of food will hlep also. I get my first fill 6/27.

:biggrin::wink_smile::thumbdown:

When your friends ask you how much you have lost, ask them how much they have lost (...or gained:sneaky:). Tell them that you are not stepping on the scale right now. Tell them you are in the process of changing your life and that your identity is not dependent on the number that the scale is going to give you. Tell them that you appreciate their concern, but right now your head is still swimming with all the new ways that you need to learn and that you aren't focusing on some stupid number. Take the time to educate them on how hard this process really is.

Glad to hear your expectations have returned to a normal level. It will make life easier if you have reasonable expectations. Read my blog if you want to know what unreasonable expectations will do to you...as I sit here hyperventilating!