Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my band for about 4 weeks, and I have had no problems. The first 3 weeks I only drank Water and gatorade, but now that I am eating real food I am craving diet sodas. I have been drinking one or two diet sodas a day for the past week or so and I have had no probs with gas or anything. I was just wondering if diet drinks are okay. Can they in anyway harm the band? Do you drink diet soda post- lap band?

My lapband doctor said never have any carbonation. I was a diet pop fanatic and I was worried about going without I actually quit drinking any carbonation way before I had too. I really haven't missed it. They say besides the pain and discomfort you could stretch out your pouch. Don't know much else about it.

Tess

Have you had a fill? That could be why you can drink carbonated drinks. I understand it is more an issue of discomfort once you heal but you are so new to your band I know my doctor said it could cause the band to slip or the stitch that holds it in place to tear. You are probably safer at this time to stop drinking sodas in any way. If you are dying for one pour it back and forth until it is flat.

My Dr. said the same thing about no carbonation. Of course I just had to have a coke. I will never drink any Carbonated waster again. I drink either Water or Ice Tea. I dont know if the ice tea is much better. Incidentally I got violently sick off the soda pop

I was told by my MD that the carbonated drinks could stretch the pouch therefore causing slippage. Definitly missing my Cokes...:)

I too was told from the very first seminar that soda is out of your life forever. In fact when I first went to the seminar (and decided against the surgery a year ago) the one thing that stayed with me was when a potential bandster asked "...what if we let the soda go flat & then drink it?" The doctor looked him straight in the eye and said "if you have to do that then this surgery is not for you." Since then I found out that my doctor is very cautious which is why I chose him.

I eventually had the lapband and though it's only been 7 weeks I have sworn off soda forever. I even share with my non-band friends that soda is just as bad for them as it bloats up the stomach and allows you to fit more food in when eating. I know the reason I went through all this was to help me make major changes in my eating styles...and the loss of soda is one I accept. You can do it too. G'luck!

My doctor had me quit drinking any kind of pop already and I don't have surgery until November. Carbination can cause your band to slip, flip, and stretch. Drinking pop expecially 4 weeks AFTER surgery, is a very very bad idea. I'd quit immediatly.

I have had my band for about 4 weeks, and I have had no problems. The first 3 weeks I only drank Water and gatorade, but now that I am eating real food I am craving diet sodas. I have been drinking one or two diet sodas a day for the past week or so and I have had no probs with gas or anything. I was just wondering if diet drinks are okay. Can they in anyway harm the band? Do you drink diet soda post- lap band?

WOW... I was told that u should stay away from any type of carbonated drinks.... bottom line.. the carbonation will expand your pouch.. u will defeat the purpose.. u can drink it once it turns flat, but not with the full fizz affect...lol... This is one of those things that I have given up and really don't miss at all... I guess I had to give up something.... I haven't had a diet, or regular soda in over 2-mths.... talking about rehab....:)

I thought it was going to be sooooooo difficult to give up soda forever but I don't even crave it. When I see it on the grocery shelf I remember how much I really liked it and how I would run to it for an immediate sugar fix but now it has been more than 40 days and I will never had another one. I went to a birthday party yesterday where it was flowing freely and I just opted for Water and didn't feel like I was missing a thing. These little changes amount to so much over time. I am glad the lapband restricts it - otherwise I would not have found the willpower to omit it on my own.

Hey, Hi, I Also Have Dr. Edwards, Banding This Wed. June 11. You Are The First One On Line I Have Seen From Butler...good Luck..

Just Re Looked, You Have Christopher Edwards, And I Have Christine Edwards, From Butler, Pa. How Funny. Well, Good Luck Anyhow..

Me Too. I Quit Back In Oct. Anticipating The Surgery. Now, If I Even Take A Sip, It Is So Fizzy, I Don't Even Want It. I Will Be Banded This Wed. And Glad I Gave It Up Long Ago. I Also Heard That It Makes You Hungary, Especially The Diet, That I Drank..

I used to drink 2 liters, at least, of Diet Pepsi daily. My surgery was July 27th and I have not had a diet Pepsi since....I was told it could stretch the band so why would anyone risk it? If you made the commitment to have the band, you need to do everything you can to succeed....just my opinion

I've been without soda for at least 6 months and haven't missed it until I went to the store the other day. I had surgery on March 18. Went by pop the other day at the store, and without thinking started to reach out for it to put it in my cart. Can't believe I'm craving it. BUT, if you want to see what happens to your stomach when you drink carbonation, stick a balloon on a bottle. The balloon expands and so does your stomach. I just learned this at group last Thursday. Just think of all that gas. Too bad we can't put it in our cars!!!!:)

My doctor also said no soda after surgery, however, my doctor did say for the first few weeks, I could have flat ginger ale to settle my stomach.