Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a measure of our problem with food?

I have noticed a lot that people are eating things, and then the phrases follow: it goes down easy, it was easy to swallow, I didn't throw up, and once even "it didn't put up a fight" . . . . and on and on.

Have you notice that there seems to be a thought process that says if you can swallow it, it's ok. Take a couple of steps back and think about this.

If we can get it inside our bodies and thus POSSESS it, it's ok? This is not healthy nor even normal thinking.

What all would we eat, possess, conquer by swallowing it, if we could (I'm not talking about emotions). A picture of Jabba the Hut is coming to mind.

No one is going to die from hunger from following post operative directions and a liquid diet for a while.

I have noticed a lot that people are eating things, and then the phrases follow: it goes down easy, it was easy to swallow, I didn't throw up, and once even "it didn't put up a fight" . . . . and on and on.

Have you notice that there seems to be a thought process that says if you can swallow it, it's ok. Take a couple of steps back and think about this.

If we can get it inside our bodies and thus POSSESS it, it's ok? This is not healthy nor even normal thinking.

What all would we eat, possess, conquer by swallowing it, if we could (I'm not talking about emotions). A picture of Jabba the Hut is coming to mind.

No one is going to die from hunger from following post operative directions and a liquid diet for a while.

You have a very good point...:lol:

Glad someone said it, that's been my thinking all along, just because you can, should you be. I saw onepost that said she could eat Pasta without any problems and wondered if anyone else could. I replied, why would you? or even want to when it's one of the very things that brought you here. I was told, no pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread, no to alot of other things, weren't everyone told the same thing?

My husband said this mornng that what I'm eating is nothing more than the Atkins diet, he said he thought with the band, I could eat anything, just alot less.

I thought of that too. I haven't even tried to eat Pasta. I don't WANT to know it goes down easy. I just mentally wrote it off as something that wasn't part of any food group of mine anymore.

I did Atkins for three years prior to getting my band, so I was starting in a different place from most people. Everyone thinks of it as an unhealthy way to eat because they picture you scarfing down bacon right and left. Actually it is, or can be, a healthy way of eating: a "normal" amount of Protein, some good, low sugar vegetables, and none of the filler/killer carbs that add a lot of calories and sugar and no nutritive value to your diet. My doctor never said, "no carbs!" He told us to eat our Protein first, then our vegetables, and finally our carbs if we had room left and were still hungry. The "magic" of the band is that I quickly learned I never had room left, and I wasn't hungry, so why have those carbs on the plate in the first place?

In case you're wondering, I lost 65 lb on Atkins, but was slowly regaining the weight by eating portions that were too large and snacking on low carb foods too often, which is why I decided the band was the way to go.

Very good point. Just because we CAN eat something doesn't mean eat it...or try it! :smile2:

I have made the decision to get the band and follow the rules. No more over-indulging - I've had 10+ years of pigging out and testing my limit with food - IT STOPS HERE. I am determined to be successful! No more starting diets on "Monday" for me. It will not kill me to stay on liquids for 3 weeks, mushies for 2 weeks and then eating healthy - Protein first, then veggies then carbs. It will not kill me to give up caffeine and sodas for 6 months - I've over-indulged on soda for far too long. It will not kill me to avoid alcohol for 6 months - I will have the rest of my life to enjoy the occasional glass of wine or beer.

Now is when I LEARN self-control and for once in my life be successful at weight loss.

Now who will join me? :lol:

Great attitude, Lexy! It's not that hard once you realize food is NOT your best friend. Being banded doesn't mean you can never have a treat, never have a cookie, never have ice cream. It just means it is a TREAT not your regular diet.

I have to disagree with all of you. It's not carbs in general you can't eat, but the TYPE of carbs. Your body needs carbs, especially if you exercise. My dietician AND my surgeon support this. I shouldn't eat white rice, but doc recommends brown rice. I shouldn't eat white potatoes, but doc recommends sweet potatoes. I shouldin't eat regular bread and Pasta, but doc recommends 100% whole wheat bread and pasta. Your body just processes certain carbs differently. Some immediately turns to sugar and fat. Others take longer to digest and process and actually benefit you. Whole grains have TONS of B Vitamins. Your body NEEDS them. Espeicially if you are prone to depression. You all need to research the glycemic index. It explains it better than I could. I'm losing weight just fine and I don't avoid carbs. but I am EXTREMEMLY careful about what kind and how much. that's why I have a band. To help me with this. Granted, I'm wary of those who say they can eat a bucket of popcorn, and that chips aren't a problem for them, etc. etc. That's not what I'm talking about. There ARE indeed good healthy carbs out there. I'm in this for my health and to improve my quality of life. Not spending my life counting calories, avoiding healthy foods just to drop a notch on a scale, and having my band to tight and PB myself to death, to get to the next dress size. I have never PB'd and don't intend to. If I ever get that tight, something is wrong. For me anyway. Not just health wise, but also for my quality of life. If you want to be healthy and glowing, whole food, quality food IS your best friend.