Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Kathy

What's important is that it is comming off and not how fast..

Well, I just got back from the gym - 2 miles on the treadmill and 1 mile on the eliptical - It sorta bothers my knee - but not to bad - I thought I would mix it up a little this morning - CBL :tt2:

Janet, just a quick question. Was it the workout that bothered your knees? The treadmill? The eliptical? I thought the eliptical was supposed to be easier on the knees. I'm looking to purchase "something" and my knees aren't the greatest. Any suggestions.

Love,

Ellen

Congrats to all the weight loss gals! What a great accomplishment. Like Ellen, mine is coming off a little slower. I'm not worried though. I know it is a process.

-

- Kathy

Kathy, are you really not worried? I'm starting to get depressed about it. I could use some cheering up!

Love,

Ellen

OK! Walked 19 minutes and 36 seconds up and down the hill to my house. Since you have to be part mountain goat to get up and down my street, I am sufficiently proud, which is an absolutely new feeling for me. I was always taught that it was selfish and self-centered to be proud of yourself, not exactly a healthy way to be brought up, to say the least. Well, maybe this change in lifestyle has room for my actually feeling like it's OK to feel proud, that I just might be worth doing something for myself and that I can forge ahead on this journey. Thank you, everyone.

Love,

Ellen

Ellen...you have earned the right to be proud of yourself. You've done quite well so far. We all need to learn that taking care of ourselves is not a selfish thing. If we are happy it will rub off on those around us. I don't think I have been this happy in years. Yes, sometimes I feel a little guilty for some of the "selfish" things I have done for myself lately (i.e: permanent eyeliner, eyelash extensions, new wardrobe, etc.). But, I keep coming up with the same answer in the end. I deserve all those things. I hid from the mirror and everyone else for 13 years. I'm done hiding and done not taking care of me. I have "served" everyone else in this family for years and years. Time for me now!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen...you have earned the right to be proud of yourself. You've done quite well so far. We all need to learn that taking care of ourselves is not a selfish thing. If we are happy it will rub off on those around us. I don't think I have been this happy in years. Yes, sometimes I feel a little guilty for some of the "selfish" things I have done for myself lately (i.e: permanent eyeliner, eyelash extensions, new wardrobe, etc.). But, I keep coming up with the same answer in the end. I deserve all those things. I hid from the mirror and everyone else for 13 years. I'm done hiding and done not taking care of me. I have "served" everyone else in this family for years and years. Time for me now!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you soooooooooo much for this message. I really needed to hear your words. Your story is my story and I bet the story of a great many women here. I hid from the mirror; I isolated myself; I served and still serve everyone else in my family. It is time for me and it is time for me to stop feeling guilty about that. The word "balance" comes to mind. I really want to find "balance!"

I read your stats and they are amazing. You've lost over 40 pounds since your surgery. I am still struggling with the fact that I lost more before my surgery than afterwards and although I've called and called, I still can not get another fill until Nov. 5th. I know everyone says it's worse to be filled too much rather than too little, but right now I would really love to feel "some" restriction. I am doing battle from day to day, without the help of the band, and beside its being "hard to do," it's making me frustrated as well.

I think it's time for another walk. Those endorphins have to kick in at some point!!!!

Love,

Ellen

Janet, just a quick question. Was it the workout that bothered your knees? The treadmill? The eliptical? I thought the eliptical was supposed to be easier on the knees. I'm looking to purchase "something" and my knees aren't the greatest. Any suggestions.

Love,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

My 2 cents: I've had one knee replacement, and the other one now needs replacing. Both my former orthopedist (now retired) and my current one have told me not to use a treadmill. They recommend the elliptical trainer or recumbant bike with no weight, but as fast as I choose to go (still doesn't get anywhere!). Neither of these pieces of equipment bother my knees to use them. Prior to my first replacement I had been using our treadmill about 45 min to an hour a day. After several weeks my knee just gave way with me one day. When I saw the doctor he said using the treadmill had accelerated the arthritic damage, and walking/treadmill would no longer be my primary exercise. Fast forward about 3-4 years post replacement I decided to give it a try - nice and slow - again, just 10-15 min with no incline. After a few workouts that familiar ache began in my other leg. 'nough said. Along with the elliptical and bike, both docs recommended Water aerobics and/or walking in the Water, and weight training with minimal weight on the knees. My plan is treatment with cartilage injections until I have lost considerable weight and then have the right knee replaced if still necessary. I know getting the weight off will improve my chances. I don't know what other doctors recommend - just what these doctors have told me.

In spite of what my husband says, sometimes I do what I am told.

Good luck!

Joann, thanks for the info. Even with the 50 pound weight loss AND a serious of artificial synovial (don't know if that spelling is correct or not) I am starting to feel pain in my right knee again. I don't want to stop exercising and it's getting chilly, so swimming is not going to be an easy alternative. I think I'm going to go to a store and try out the elliptical and the recumbant bike. Thanks again.

Love,

Ellen

Forgive me for all these posts and questions. I promise to log off soon. Question: What are your feelings about caffein? I'm off of it, but I still feel a bit groggy in the morning. Just wondering. Thanks.

Last question: Does anyone have problems with sleep? (other than sleep apnea) I thought that now that I was exercising, if even a little and eating better, if even a little, that I would find it easier falling asleep at night. Thanks again.

Hi again Ellen,

I have access to both machines, a recumbant bike here at home, and the elliptical at the gym. I do like both, but I think I get a better workout on the elliptical. Right now I am primarily using the bike since it is here at home and so convenient. I have not been exercising regularly for several months, and trying to ease back in gradually. I will have a program set up - using both machines plus weight training - by the time I am banded in early December. It is my promise to myself and my first priority, as both mental and physical preparation for my new lifestyle. I have learned that from all you banded people!

Good luck checking all this stuff out.

Ellen,

I was raised the same as you. Felt it was wrong to be proud of myself that it was bragging or showing off. I remember one time in school I asked a teacher to remove the + from the A on my report card as I didn't people to think I was a show off. Be proud of your accomplishments. I am learning to get there too, with my husband and kids it's easy. But like yesterday we went to a family function and I hadn't seem some of them for a month or two so got many comments on my weight and it was hard to take. I just tried a polite thank you and left it at that.

I have the bad knees too. I am the opposite of JoAnn in that I have an elliptical and home and do the recumbant at the gym. Definitely get a better workout on the elliptical. Doesn't hurt my knees much. However, when I go to my bariatric exercise class they have one elliptical there that does hurt my knee. Just one and that one has the feet pedals or pads at more of an angle. so definitely try them out in the store before buying one and see which one fits you best. The recombant can hurt sometimes too depending on the seat adjustment but once you know exactly your spot that isn't as much an issue. Also, I find the bike to get boring faster unless I am reading. I can't read on the elliptical too much motion and I am usually sweating too much. LOL Good luck in your choice. Mine is a Nordic Track and I like it a lot. Got a real sturdy one as they weight limits on them were very different on the different models as well and at the time I was tipping the 300 lb mark, but am glad I got the sturdier one and DH uses it too. And I can't remember if you met him as he came to a Dr. Phil with me, he's 6'6 and about 240. And for the first time in many years.....I NOW WEIGH LESS THAN HIM!!!!

Another great NSV for Lori!! well I guess it does relate to the scale, but MORE to the husband/scale!

Good information for equipment purchase, Lori. I have not used other ellipticals, so I didn't realize there would be that difference. Does yours have the arm exercise option? The one at the gym does not, but I think that might be helpful, esp as one has to exercise with more intensity as weight is lost. I've seen the Nordic Track at costco - it looks darn good.

Hi everyone tonight (Sunday). How was everyones weekend. Mine was pretty good. I walked Saturday but not today. Yesterday I was off track on my food. I had coffee and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein with milk for B, went to lunch at Steak and shake with my daughter. Well i started to order steakburger (no bun) and salad but I got sidetracked. I got a chilli mac instead. So calorie wise I didn't have much room left for the rest of the day. I ate the whole thing and could have eaten more. Last night I had pudding, orange and thats it. I tried to not be too bad. It seems like I am able to eat more and more again. I don't go to the Dr. until next Tuesday (14Th) so I have a few days to go. I sure hope I get a little more restriction than I have had, especially with the Holidays coming ya know. I am still loosing but it is alot slower now. Hope everyone is doing good tonight.

BeckyO_

Becky - You did very well you ate lunch and then ate a light dinner - that's how it's done - I hope that your next fill helps... I am so lucky that I got to mine very fast. But here's an FYI - the band isn't going to work even when properly restricted against most holiday foods - Cookies & candies - you are going to have to use your brain when dealing with those foods - The band will help you not to eat too much turkey or rolls but not the mashed potatoes - gravy - cake and cookies...

Well, I had a challenging weekend. I went to a bakery, bought a b-day cake for my mother and a cupcake for me. So, I ate that on saturday, then went to a wedding , but did not overeat or eat cake. Today, had a birthday party for my mother and I did eat cake. I am not going to weigh till thursday. I just need a few days to get back on track. Those "special days" come and go. It is just life, so I have to compensate for those days by cutting down on the carbs and eating more Protein. I want to lose 3 lbs this week. It may sound like a lofty goal, but I am up for it. Thanks to all of you for the support. I couldn't go through this journey without support.:)

Charlene - you are so right - we still have to live life - and that does mean having treats now and again...

Must be the weekend for birthdays, I just got home from a party for my FIL. They had cake, pies, ice cream and some apple crisp. It all looked good. but I came away with half a hamburger patty, a spoon of baked Beans and some chips. My weakness is chips. I could turn down all those sweets but not the darn chips. But tomorrow is another day! I'd love to lose 3 this week too, but think I am going to be sitting still for a bit, I always do after having a good loss. Special days come and go, it's what we do the rest of the days that matters most.

Lori - This is so true Special days come and go, it's what we do the rest of the days that matters most

So many things happening here, I don't know where to begin.

that she was going to take care of herself!!!! She started going to the gym 3 hours a day. Now there is no way I am going anywhere for 3 hours a day, but she made me think that if I don't decide NOW that it's time for me, that I never will. Soooooooooooo, it's time for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am signing off and going for a walk!

Ellen

Love,

Ellen

Forgive me for all these posts and questions. I promise to log off soon. Question: What are your feelings about caffein? I'm off of it, but I still feel a bit groggy in the morning. Just wondering. Thanks.
Last question: Does anyone have problems with sleep? (other than sleep apnea) I thought that now that I was exercising, if even a little and eating better, if even a little, that I would find it easier falling asleep at night. Thanks again.

Ellen - Yes it is time for you !!!! The eliptical hurts my left knee - I don't know what's wrong with it - I will get a little pain in it when walking down stairs in heels - or at the gym doing leg extensions on the weight machine - it hurts the outside under the knee cap - sometime it hurts and some times it doesn't - The treadmill doesn't bother it at all - I don't like the bikes - but I have a Friend Kari who bikes ever day (home and i think its the recumbent) and has lost 100 lbs...

As for the caffine - I drink 1 to 2 cups every morning - My doc doesn't have any restriction on caffine

I have never slept well - I wake up a couple times a night and it's a miracle when I have slept the whole night without waking up even once.

Last night I slept pretty good - I think I got up once around 3 - then next thing I knew the alarm was going off at 5 a.m.

Well, just cking in - sorry I wasn't here yesterday - I cleaned house and got caught up on all my shows that I had recorded last week...

Another great NSV for Lori!! well I guess it does relate to the scale, but MORE to the husband/scale!

Good information for equipment purchase, Lori. I have not used other ellipticals, so I didn't realize there would be that difference. Does yours have the arm exercise option? The one at the gym does not, but I think that might be helpful, esp as one has to exercise with more intensity as weight is lost. I've seen the Nordic Track at costco - it looks darn good.

JoAnn, Mine is the Nordic Track from costco that's where I got mine. though the model they have now looks different than mine. It was a great price at the time as I had shopped all over. Mine does have the arm things. I don't use them too much yet but like the option to have them. I use them a minute or two at a time now but as I increase intensity will use them more. Also a treadmill hurts my knee less than outside walking, must be the cushioned deck or something, but still hurts especially when I am done.

Good Monday morning everyone....Ellen...hope you find the right machine for you. I just do the treadmill. Had to quit for awhile because of my knees but now good to go again after the weight came off. I do walk outside when I can but with our cold and snowy (and icy) winters, I love having the treadmill to fall back on.

I did a lot of walking this past week. Was absolutely full of gas after my surgery. Had 7 incisions in the belly and was really swollen. Never laid down once during the day last week. Only at night. Just walked as much as I could. Figured it would help me heal faster. Still have a ways to go. See the doc for my post-op tomorrow. My belly is still quite swollen and is really stiff and sore. I don't give into it though. Just have to be careful not to lift anything. Can be a challenge around here with harvest going on and all these farmers to feel.

I have a question for all of you. Did any of you ever talk with Kerry Conner? She used to PM me once in awhile and posted a lot for awhile. I PM'd her awhile ago and have not heard a thing for a few months. Does anyone know why she dropped off? Anxious to hear how she is doing.

Better go see to lunch for the guys. They'll be in b/4 I know it!