Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi tonight! Ya know girls I don't get that calorie thing. Daily Plate tells me at my current weight that I need to eat around 1200 a day to loose about 3 lbs a week. Well, i do stick to less than that and I am sure not loosing 3 a week. Now I walk 2 1/2 miles a day so why isn't this equasion working for me. My weight loss is slow right now anyway but how does this not work for me? Just curious.

Beckyo:biggrin:

Becky

Those things are just models they really can't give you an accurate # - they just take generals into consideration - age and weight not how we burn calories - our metabolisam - what foods we eat etc - That 1200 to lose 3 lbs is BS IMHO... But I'm not a rocket scieniest - just a fat chick.

I have a freind who was trying to gain a little weight - so she was eating sugar - nothing no weight gain - then she deleted the sugar and added flour/white crabs - was eating less calories of the carbs than the sugar - but in eating the carbs she gained the weight - Go figure - it's how her body reacts to the food it's given

So IMHO we each have to find out what works for us - but the main thing is to decrease calories and exercise -

Zig Zag your calories but no more that 1200 max a day - when you exercise (walk) don't stroll - push yourself - sweat.. Walk fast for a few minutes - slow down - then speed up again..

There is no way to know how many calorie we burn even on those treadmills that tell us how much we burn - say that my trainer who's 43 - 5'10 - 260 and ALL muscle - pluggs in those # on the treadmill (age/weight) and the man next to him is the same height and weight but all fat and out of shape - they are going to burn diff amount of calories on the same speed and incline - my trainer is going to burn less cuz he's in shape - the fat guy is going to burn more cuz he is using muscles he hasn't used.. but the stupid machine is going to say the both burned the same amount of calories

So that being said - we have to take all those #'s with a grain of salt - they are approximates only - not written in stone.

I only used daily plate or fitday to get the calories of foods that I didn't know how many calories was in what I ate (del taco burrito) - All I did was log my food in a little note book like this

BF - Weight Control oatmeal 160 c

L - One Pot Wonder 150C

D - 4 oz Fish 120 - 1/2 c Rice 120 - Veggie 50 = 270

S - popcorn 100 - puddings 2 120 - fudgcicle 80

Total for the day 900 - Excerise 2.5 miles

That's it - my exercise was $$$ in the bank -

Just keep doing what you are doing eating healthy exerciseing and once you get proper restriction the weight is going to come off - some weeks it could be 1 lbs - next week 2 - next wee 1/2 - then 3 the next.

What the kind of food you eat - I am not an Atkins advocate - but I do eat limited refinded carb

Hello Girls!

All I can say is......YAY!!!!:thumbup::thumbdown::crying::cursing::drool:

I did it! I lost 1.1 yesterday to take me up to 10lbs for the whole month.

That's my best lost ever, even better than when the band was first put in I think. I am buzzing!!

I am still struggling with the exercise this week again (work always seems to get in the way of having fun!) but I am going to stick religiously to 1200 cals and see how far that gets me. I would like to zigzag, but am reading into it, as I am a routine person, and I need to know how much I am having on what day. A friend sent me this link if you are interested too

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

I am so pleased. I don't feel deprived and better than that - I just took off my work trouserx (don't panic - I'm at home now!) without undoing the fly or buttons!! NSV city!!

The discussion here is so useful. You take so much for granted, but its only those who have tried and had success who really know ie Our Janet!

Mx

Hello Girls!

All I can say is......YAY!!!!:frown::thumbdown::lol::cursing::lol:

I did it! I lost 1.1 yesterday to take me up to 10lbs for the whole month.

That's my best lost ever, even better than when the band was first put in I think. I am buzzing!!

I am still struggling with the exercise this week again (work always seems to get in the way of having fun!) but I am going to stick religiously to 1200 cals and see how far that gets me. I would like to zigzag, but am reading into it, as I am a routine person, and I need to know how much I am having on what day. A friend sent me this link if you are interested too

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

I am so pleased. I don't feel deprived and better than that - I just took off my work trouserx (don't panic - I'm at home now!) without undoing the fly or buttons!! NSV city!!

The discussion here is so useful. You take so much for granted, but its only those who have tried and had success who really know ie Our Janet!

Mx

Mia

CONGRATULATIONS 10 LBS THATS GREAT !!!!! :thumbup:

NSV - Pants' falling off :crying:

I'm so happy for you

see the band does work when you are in control

WTG GIRL :drool:

Keep up the Great Work...:blush:

Greetings, I am just home from a quickie trip to Las Vegas and had a great time. We spent all afternoon yesterday at the hotel's pool (Monte Carlo), it was awesome, they had a pool, hot tub, wave pool and lazy river. And I wore a bathing suit!! First time in a couple years and though I looked far from perfect, I felt so good because I know how I looked and felt last time I wore one on a cruise 2 yrs ago. And a funny thing happened. You know that feeling of how when you walk into a room or in this case the pool area and immediately survey to see if you are the fattest one there? Or was I the only one that did that? Anyway I commented to my husband that I was still the fat one and he looked at me and said you gotta be kidding me, you really think that? So he said to point out someone I thought was perhaps almost as big as me or the 'next biggest'. He said no way was I that size and then he started pointing out ones that I was closer in size to. I had no idea. I had heard how our heads are behind in catching up with our weight loss and we still see ourselves fatter than we are, but this was amazing to me. And made me feel even better. Also good thing I tried on that bathing suit from 2 yrs ago when packing as it would've been obscene had I worn that to the pool!!

I did have an experience of PBing after lunch in Las Vegas. I had heard flying makes the band tighter but I didn't feel tighter. DH & Ijust went to a food court for lunch and got some chinese food (on the order of Panda Express). I ate 4 small, very well chewed pcs of chicken and barely got to the restroom in time and lost it all. We had just arrived, so not sure if that was it or not. By dinner I was okay with my small portion of prime rib.

As to the calories on websites like Daily Plate, those are calories for non bariatric patients, don't we generally eat a lot less than them? If that had worked for us in the first place, we wouldn't be where we are today. I had used Daily plate before lap band and never really lost much. So now after lap band I use it as I like how it tracks your calories and your Protein, etc. But I ignore their advice as to how many calories 'I need'. As long as I am losing, my dr. is happy, I am happy.

Lori, I think I love your husband! What a great guy! This was such a good experience for you, and he was so right to help you see how far you have come. That has to be very inspiring for you.

Mia - time to look for smaller size pants! It's a good thing you were at home.

I

Long, I bet you had a great time in Vegas. I like the shows. My son got married there his second time around. We had so much fun.

Well, I missed my september goal by one lb. I am really going to try and kick butt next month. I have been babysitting my new grandbaby so I have been sidetracked. No excuses. I won't lose 60lbs in 3 months, but I am going to shoot for 45 by Oct 16th and 50 for Nov 1. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Long, I bet you had a great time in Vegas. I like the shows. My son got married there his second time around. We had so much fun.

Well, I missed my september goal by one lb. I am really going to try and kick butt next month. I have been babysitting my new grandbaby so I have been sidetracked. No excuses. I won't lose 60lbs in 3 months, but I am going to shoot for 45 by Oct 16th and 50 for Nov 1. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Well I missed my goal by 3 lbs this month. I had a goal to lose 10 after losing over 10 the past 3 months. But 7 lbs I'll take it!! I really want to hit 75 by the end of oct. but may or may not, I need to lose 9 in Oct. to hit it. You are doing great! And just think as we say good bye to the weight this time it is forever!

Question: Does anyone know anything about getting a lapband after bypass? I know someone who is asking me this, she had bypass, lost a lot but regained quite a bit back.

Well I missed my goal by 3 lbs this month. I had a goal to lose 10 after losing over 10 the past 3 months. But 7 lbs I'll take it!! I really want to hit 75 by the end of oct. but may or may not, I need to lose 9 in Oct. to hit it. You are doing great! And just think as we say good bye to the weight this time it is forever!

Question: Does anyone know anything about getting a lapband after bypass? I know someone who is asking me this, she had bypass, lost a lot but regained quite a bit back.

No, I haven't heard that, but there is a revision for bypass patients who stretch their pouch. She needs to ask that question on the bypass forum. I am sure they know.

Okay, it looks like we have a plan for October, so let's get started!:thumbup:

Well I heard from the surgery scheduler today. My date is December 4th. As you all know I was hoping for a bit earlier, but I am delighted just to have a date! I will use these next 9 weeks to get another round of injections for my knee and get serious about my exercise program; also to practice with a smaller plate, small bites, eating slowly. See, I'm listening.

I've started an interesting book called "Mindless Eating." It's a very quick read, and the author does have a sense of humor. He has done research with people and their eating habits for many years. I'm only about 50 pages into it, so I'm getting all the interesting ways they perform their tests - but no solutions yet. Not too hard to figure out where it's going, though. Small plate, small bites, take your time. Have you heard that before??? I'm sure there will be more than that, I'll let you know. This book was recommended by the psychologist I saw for my surgery.

Good luck to everyone on their October goals. Lori, you owe yourself a pair of earrings, right?

Well I heard from the surgery scheduler today. My date is December 4th. As you all know I was hoping for a bit earlier, but I am delighted just to have a date! I will use these next 9 weeks to get another round of injections for my knee and get serious about my exercise program; also to practice with a smaller plate, small bites, eating slowly. See, I'm listening.

I've started an interesting book called "Mindless Eating." It's a very quick read, and the author does have a sense of humor. He has done research with people and their eating habits for many years. I'm only about 50 pages into it, so I'm getting all the interesting ways they perform their tests - but no solutions yet. Not too hard to figure out where it's going, though. Small plate, small bites, take your time. Have you heard that before??? I'm sure there will be more than that, I'll let you know. This book was recommended by the psychologist I saw for my surgery.

Good luck to everyone on their October goals. Lori, you owe yourself a pair of earrings, right?

Congrats on your surgery date. If those are cortisone shots....hurry up and get them. My back doctor would not do them six weeks before surgery because it might compromise my immune system. I was supposed to have gotten one this month, but I am afraid it will mess up my weight loss. "Mindless Eating". You sure that is not a book about me?

Greetings, I am just home from a quickie trip to Las Vegas and had a great time. We spent all afternoon yesterday at the hotel's pool (Monte Carlo), it was awesome, they had a pool, hot tub, wave pool and lazy river. And I wore a bathing suit!! First time in a couple years and though I looked far from perfect, I felt so good because I know how I looked and felt last time I wore one on a cruise 2 yrs ago. And a funny thing happened. You know that feeling of how when you walk into a room or in this case the pool area and immediately survey to see if you are the fattest one there? Or was I the only one that did that? Anyway I commented to my husband that I was still the fat one and he looked at me and said you gotta be kidding me, you really think that? So he said to point out someone I thought was perhaps almost as big as me or the 'next biggest'. He said no way was I that size and then he started pointing out ones that I was closer in size to. I had no idea. I had heard how our heads are behind in catching up with our weight loss and we still see ourselves fatter than we are, but this was amazing to me. And made me feel even better. Also good thing I tried on that bathing suit from 2 yrs ago when packing as it would've been obscene had I worn that to the pool!!

I did have an experience of PBing after lunch in Las Vegas. I had heard flying makes the band tighter but I didn't feel tighter. DH & Ijust went to a food court for lunch and got some chinese food (on the order of Panda Express). I ate 4 small, very well chewed pcs of chicken and barely got to the restroom in time and lost it all. We had just arrived, so not sure if that was it or not. By dinner I was okay with my small portion of prime rib.

As to the calories on websites like Daily Plate, those are calories for non bariatric patients, don't we generally eat a lot less than them? If that had worked for us in the first place, we wouldn't be where we are today. I had used Daily plate before lap band and never really lost much. So now after lap band I use it as I like how it tracks your calories and your Protein, etc. But I ignore their advice as to how many calories 'I need'. As long as I am losing, my dr. is happy, I am happy.

Lori

Have you seen the show "How to look good Nake" Carson from the fab 5 - Women had to pick out of a bunch of girls in their bra & panties who they thought they looked like (size wise) they always picked out someone 3 size bigger.... I am glad that your DH pointed out your size cuz that's important - to look at another person and say oh "I'm that size" cuz we still think of ourselves as big women - I don't know it that will ever go aways - as I am always saying at work "I am looking out the same pair of eyes that I looked out of 1 yr ago" Heck I didn't think I looked as fat as I was when I was 250 - our minds play tricks on us both ways - when you are morbity obese your mind say ya you are fat but not that fat - and then when you are thin - you say ya I;m thinner '- but I'm still Fat..

I didn't find that I got tight flying - it was just most likely the Panda Express food - I did that too last time I ate there - I hate eating fast food - not to many good choices

Yep we are bariatric pple but we do absorbe all our caloires - so 1/2 cup of rice is 120 calories for us where as with a bypass patient who know.

But I'm with you I only use those sites to get the calories & Protein for something i have eaten and nothing else..

Did you win any $$$ - Glad you had a good time

Charlene

Congrats on your on Sept weight lost - heck a pound is nothing any more you can make your goal for next month with no problem - That's good that you all have monthly goals - that what they say we should do - the only time I had one of those was during Xmas - We did it so that we would stay on track during the holidays - but other than that I never had a goal per month - My only goal was to get to 160 by 7/17 - and I hit that (160) on 5/8 - and 100 gone 7/24...

Lori

Congrats on your 7 lbs !!!!

Yes bypass pple have gotten the band - but they have a new proceedure where they go down your esophagus (sp) and stapple the pouch back into a smaller size - something like that - I am not sure - but I have read about it.. I might have read oh wait - I just read it in O magazine this morning let ne go get it... Ok August 08 issue - beyond stomach stapling whats new & better - Stomaphy X it's like a tiny sewing machine that is lowered into the stomach from the mouth - buided by an endoscope a doc can use stomaphy x to gather up folds of stoamch tissue and stich them together shrinking the stomach. And it has been approved by the FDA,

I am sorry for your friend - but this is why pple really need to do the head work - and make this a lifestyle change - But due to the fact that bypass pple can eat fried fish and still lose weight cuz they don't absorb all the calories - but after a yr or 2 out their bodies heals themselves and they start absorbing more of their calories - if they haven't truly made a change in their eating - it's going to catch up with them..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like everyone is doing well - I am so happy for all of you..

Well, I just dropped in to say hi - I gotta pay bills:eek: - and get ready for tomorrow (commercial day:eek:) I will be glad when it's over - I am too much of a perfectionist - and I just know I am going to be nit picking my make up and hair - heck I am still trying on diff outfits - but sticking to the white pants & purple top - I will take a pic before I leave the house tomorrow..

Well, I gotta to those bills - I will cbl :thumbup:

Congrats on your surgery date. If those are cortisone shots....hurry up and get them. My back doctor would not do them six weeks before surgery because it might compromise my immune system. I was supposed to have gotten one this month, but I am afraid it will mess up my weight loss. "Mindless Eating". You sure that is not a book about me?

The shots are actually Euflexxa - a cartilage replacement type of shot. I had a round of 3 in March and they did help. Doc said I could have another round in the fall - gonna call him tomorrow. The goal is to get the weight well down before the knee replacement.

I kinda thought the book was about me, but if you want it to be about you I'll share. :thumbup:

Joann-

YEA YEA YOU HAVE A DATE 12/4 :cool2: OMG I BET YOU ARE REALLY SUPER JAZZED:Dancing_hmm::mellow::drool::thumbup:

I know that the day that I got my date - I wanted to yell it from the roof tops...

Thanks Janet! I have waited so long - I don't know if it has sunk in yet! It will probably jump to the forefront of my mind when I lay my head on the pillow tonight and it will mean a sleepless night... As I said earlier, I have a lot to do between now and the big DAY.

Thanks Janet! I have waited so long - I don't know if it has sunk in yet! It will probably jump to the forefront of my mind when I lay my head on the pillow tonight and it will mean a sleepless night... As I said earlier, I have a lot to do between now and the big DAY.

Joann

You are going to be and EXCELLENT BANDER !! You are already talking the talk and walking the walk - the band will be that little tool that helps you get to your goal..

I am just so happy for you... Enjoy your last days - I had last meal mentality for the 5 weeks prior surgery - I ate all the stuff (well most didn't get it all in) that I wouldn't be including in my new healthy lifestyle

The only thing I would really say to splurge on is like a submarine sandwich - or any kind of sandwich you like that comes on a roll or thick bread... As I would say that's really the only food that I can't eat - well haven't tried but I know that a I would most likely be stuffed or pbing on 2 tiny bits - I would love a submarine sandwich from Ciro's they make the best or a Salami on jalapeno bread (roll) at TBK's - That's really the only thing that I can't eat - due to the fact that I would get no nutrition out of that meal - I still eat taco's enchillda's & chineese so - If you really like a sandwich/sub that's on thick bread - eat it now :thumbup: