Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a heart murmur Does this matter?

I dont have a murmur, but I do have a PFO, which is a hole in the heart. My cardiologist has done every test under the sun and everything is normal, however, I still have dizziness, Migraines, and just fatigue. He cleared me for the surgery, but Im having more pain, than normal. They can operate and close it up. PFOs are birth defects, I lived my whole life not knowing I had this. And it could contribute to weight gain due to poor circulation. I think that you should be ok. With murmurs, I dont think that they can go in and patch it up like they can a PFO. But, do more research on murmurs, see what you can find. Good luck.

I have a heart murmur. My first consultation with the nurse she heard an irregular heartbeat. I was just told I had to get an EKG first and then I could have surgery if it was okay.

I went in to the cardiologist and had an echocardiogram and a chemical stress test. I won't get the official results for 2 weeks. The technician said that it looks like I'll get the surgery clearance. Everything looks like it should the best he can tell. He isn't the Doc of course but I feel much better about things. The stress test made me feel really uncomfortable but lasted for such a short time so it wasn't too bad. I can't believe I stressed out so much over it. Thanks to all of you here who helped me through it though. You're all so great!:biggrin:

Had a stress test yesterday per my pulmonologist during my pre-op clearance appt.

She heard my heart murmur (since birth), but so had my cardiologist a few weeks ago, and my primary serveral weeks earlier than that. The cardiologist ordered an echo and was told that I had some changes. But said it needed to be monitored each year.

However, yesterday at the pulmonologist, she was very concerned about it and has ordered a heart CT and lung CT also; while looking on xray she said that my heart was enlarged and wanted the 3-D picture to evaluate Fluid around my heart ... therefore she wants that to clear me...

well that took the wind out of my sails...

I had an appointment with the surgeon 20 miles away an hour later and had to get gas....

I broke down crying... I never hated the weight before...just didn't like it; but now .... I curse it. It's going to kill me.

the guy at the next pump thought I was crying about the gas price ($4.29) and asked if I was short on money to pay.... I said no, just have a sick relative that I was concerned about.

When I saw my surgeon a hour later, he felt that I had pulmonary hypertension and that the CT would be key.

this only validates the need for the weight loss because of the domino effect of other health issues...

so if I have again validated 100% based on these changes in my healthy, that surgery will be essential. This is truly a fight for life.

I had to do 6 minutes of walking to capture my oxygen rate. Then 5 minutes on a treadmill, set pretty aggressively; then 30 minutes of lung function tests by breathing into a machine, holding breath, pushing in/out air; then two sticks to get my blood gasses;

I was exhausted afterwards.

Yes the Doc sd I have a soft murmur aand a 3rd heart beat I am ok for surgery banded 06-11-08 and in alot of gas pain right now.

Just an update. I don't get my official results until June 26th. When I know if I got the clearance I will post it here. Thanks for your well wishes.

I went to the cardiologist today for my test results. He is giving me surgery clearance. He says the tests were normal. He also said that my heart beats a little fast so he's putting me on a medication for that but that I am ok for surgery. One more pill:frown:. But the surgeon should be able to submit to my insurance now. I can't wait to be a lap bander. Wish me luck.:blushing: