Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IVE PUT ON 10lb in a week!

vampy

OMG, i got weighed today and the scales which i use every time says i weigh 10lb more than i did last week!

whats happened?!!! ive not eaten in excess or anything, aww im soooo dissapointed...i really feel like comfort eating because ive let myself down..feel really upset. has anyone else oput this amount of weight on in a week before????

Hey Vampy,

It sounds like you need a new scale.!!! I could see 5 or 6, but 10 seems excessive. The only time I have put on 10 lbs in less than a week was when I was pregnant in my last month. I increased by 10 lbs in Water weight and they decided to get the baby out early. CHeck yourself on a different scale and if it is the same, I would definitely call your doctor to find out why you are retaining so much Water.

Babs in TX

-44 and counting'

6/23/03

hi leo, i was thinking maybe it was around the time of the month, but ive never put on 10lb before because of that! only time will tell i suppose,

hi bbrecruiter2000,

the scales i got weighed on are the ones ive been getting weighed on for 8 years!, they are the ones at my local chemist store, and i only got weighed on them last week, so i know they are accurate, i even went back this afternoon just to check again, and its still saying ive put on 10lb!

i hope it is just Water and not putting back on fat,.....it feels like all this hard wprk is going to waste..

Even if it's the scale you've always used in the past.........check on a different scale. Even though we use the same scale all the time doesn't mean the scale won't break or malfunction! 10 pounds seems like way to much to be Water. Do you feel "poofy?"

What were you wearing? Perhaps the fabrics were much denser than usual, or it was humid and they were heavier from that. Or your shoes. Do you always weigh in the same outfit?

My tennis shoes weigh 3 pounds!

Also, if you've been exercising, you could have added muscle, which weighs more than fat for the same volume. There are just too many factors to believe the numbers on the scale - they are NOT a true representation of what's going on.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons the scale is NOT your friend. In order to have gained 10 pounds of FAT, you would have had to consume 3500x10 excess calories this past week (that's 35,000 extra calories! in a week! That's an EXTRA 5,000 calories per DAY!). If you haven't changed your eating habits this week, then it's NOT possible that it's fat.

scales also have to be calibrated periodically as a part of usual maintenance. The freight scale here at work is calibrated by the state MONTHLY.

I too went through the same thing. I lost down to 280lbs and then gained right back up to 292lbs. That was 12lbs!!! I need a fill (has been three months since last one). For one I was depressed because I didn't have the $800 for a fill so I knew I was eating too much. And because I needed a fill I fought hard to not eat more then I knew I was supposed to and it wasn't working. While it was no where near the amounts pre band it was most certainly too much. It has taken me a month to drop those 12 lbs back off. I am not back at 280lbs, thank God! I increased my Water, started measuring food again, and stopped snacking. I still have not mastered eating slow and taking small bites but maybe I will get there soon as I know this would help a lot. I wish you the best of luck but you've done it once, don't fret or thinkg too much about it just do something about it.

Keep a journal of everything you put into your mouth. Maybe that will help. I think sometimes we eat and don't realize it because that is what we are soooo used to.

Hope all works out and the pounds start falling off again soon.

thanks eveyone, i got weighed again on the same scales and its still saying ive put on 10lb, i will get weighed soemwhere else tomorrow just to make sure,

i think that maybe ive putt the weight on because i had a throat infection for a week and harl;dt touched a thing, i lost about 7lb that week, so i think that when i started eating agian it just piled straight back on, i just dont know, but im really dissapointed..

Don't be dissapointed vampy, you still 50lbs less then you where before. Don't get discourage with a temporary set back.

Hey Vampy!

Sorry, I just saw this thread. Wow, that must have been quite a surprise! But as everyone else said, it's nothing to get depressed or overly anxious about. Donali's calculations are very comforting, too.

Not to worry! You know this is going to be a slow road, and agonizing about every bump is just going to make it seem longer. By now you've probably eliminated (that's a nice way of saying "peed out") five pounds of Fluid from that extra 10 lbs. :)

thanks alexandra, i havnt dared get weighed again!, im going to wait a few days and see how it is, i really hope it goes back down again, it feels like im taking two steps forward and three steps back, seems a waste of hard work, but i suppose someday i will get there, i know i will!.

I remember when I was in Wt. Watchers that they claimed many medications can cause weight gain, including antibiotics. Were you on any for your throat? Make any other changes in medicines? Even Advil taken for more than a few days can cause you to retain Water, according to what I was told. Did you cut back on drinking with your sore throat? If so, you may have tricked your body into retaining fluids it already had. Try drinking more water now and it'll flush out the "bad stuff" you've accumulated.....

Larry - You bring up a good point about medications. When the doctor put me on anti-depressants 12 years ago, that was when the biggest weight surge began. He said the pills may act like "diet pills." Baloney! They acted like a shut-off valve for telling my body when I had enough. Since then I have NEVER felt full, even after a Thanksgiving dinner. I've gained 40 pounds since then and they won't come off. Hopefully when I "cross over" it will be a different story!