Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realization of what's about to take place!!!

:sad_smile:Okay everyone. I am scheduled to be banded in MX on June 5th. Monday I start my pre op diet...high Protein low carb...btw I just figured out my pre-op diet stuff on another thread. so see if you aren't careful you will learn something everyday..hahaha......at any rate....it is all starting to hit me. This is really going to happen and this is really going ot happen in Mexico. I trust Dr. Rod and have a personal friend that went to him in March..but I can't help but have all the things go through my head of what ifs?????? I also found out that since I am a self pay and not going through insurance that if there are any complications my ins will NOT cover any of it...so anything related to the band they will not cover...I know though that my general pract. will help me out as best he can with that and coding my bills..but just say there was an erosion or slippage...and I had other health items..they won't cover it if it can be realted to the band at all. They are even making me meet the requirements so that they will cover a portion of the fill cost, otherwise that will be completely out of my pocket as well. I know I can't afford having the band here in the states and I have to do it now....there is no waiting and saving another year for it...( I don't know if anyone else understands that....but I know it is now or never for me...) I worry about things happening to me and would being thin be worth the loss of being taken from my kids...all to be thin...and of course healthier, but lets face it...our appearance is a major decision maker for most of us...although not for everyone I am sure. I just know this is not who I am in this large exterior...and I want to be free from this hold food has on me. I want to change and I want to be a success story where you look at me and say there was no way that was you. I am still reluctant to tell anyone other then a few close friends and family members. I guess for fear of being eyed for everything I eat or everything I do or don't do. It's not that I want it to be a secret, but I don't think that it is anyone's business. I don't really know how I am going to handle the, "Wow you have lost weight...how'd you do it?" I don't want to lie, but I don't feel I owe them an explanation, but I don't want to be rude either. I know people have the misconception that this is the easy way out..oh hahaha are they wrong, but for those that don't or have never struggled with major weight issues...they don't understand. I am not talking an extra 20 or 30 pds...I mean over 100 xtra pounds that your body is carrying around. I want my kids to be proud of me and not be ashamed to say that is my mom. I don't want people to stop and stare at me and wonder why my husband is married to me. I don't want to assume when I walk by someone and they giggle that they are giggling at me..I want to be here for my kids no matter what size I am...this is my only REAL issue....that I come out safe and can grow old with my kids. So as much as I am afraid of being taken from them now..I am more fearful of the life we won't have if I don't do something about it while I am younger. I don't want to be that one that it doesn't work for. How do you handle that mentally after you have to come to grips with life changing changes then to have to deal with it not working on you. I know I know I know..I am a mental case right now. It just is becoming so real now...it is down to a matter of days and not months of weeks..and as I look at the calendar it is quickly approaching. I know this will pass and I will look back on this post and laugh..or so I hope I will. I was just wondering if anyone else is going through this same emotion and if you are or did how you managed.

I am being banded on 6/3 and the realization is really hitting home. I have to say I am a basket case also. I know I wasn't suppose to have any alcohol in my last 2 weeks but tonight I went out and had 3 cosmos. I feel really bad but I needed them to. Why????? I know that I am doing the right thing but I am truly scared about this surgery. I needed to feel that I can let myself go one more time before my new life. Am I going to be okay and still get the 1 lb weight gain off? I will but it will be alot of work for me as of tomorrow. Now I am down to the wire. I will be starting full liquids in a week and Clear Liquids the day before the surgery. I guess I will have to eat alot of chicken and salad starting tomorrow! I am glad I have the support of this group. Since no one knows what we are going through unless you are getting banded.

I had my first pre-op shake this morning. My surgery is June 9th and it feels like a dream. I know just how you both feel. This is the right thing to do for me and my family, but I still have thoughts of what if it doesn’t work for me. I started a diet of my own two days ago just to see if I could live on liquids for two meals and a reasonable supper. It was really hard for me and I did have a bite or two of my kids lunch while I prepared it. I felt so bad afterwards. I kept thinking if I can’t do it now how am I going to do it later. All of these questions keep spinning in my head.

I'm pre-band also,(June 18th) and have alot of the very same questions and concerns as you. My BMI is 45, so that's another thing we have in common. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but you know I can share my belief that God is control, and tell you to read Romans 8:28.

HI EVERYONE....I WANTED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW I WAS JUST BANDED ON 5/22/08 IN Mexico BY ORTIZ AND IT WAS THE BEST!! TIPS THAT I HAVE IS WHEN YOU GET OUT OF SURGERY AND GO ON 1ST WALK TAKE TWO GAS-X STRIPS FOR THE GAS....9 OF US HAD SURGERY THAT DAY AND 5 HAD VERY BAD GAS AND COULDN'T GO SHOPPING NEXT DAY. WALKING WAS GREAT FOR GAS AND WE SHOPPED AT LEAST 4 HOURS STRAIGHT UNTIL WE ALL RAN OUT OF MONEY!! THEY TOLD US JUST BRING A $100, BUT IF YOU ARE A SHOPPER LIKE MOST OF US WERE, IT IS NOT ENOUGH, EVEN WHEN YOU BARGAIN....CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK FOR MY FILL SO I CAN SHOP SOME MORE THERE. THE PEOPLE WERE GREAT AND HOTEL WAS NICE. MY BEST ADVICE IS GAS-X ON THE REGULAR, ESPECIALLY BEFORE PLANE RIDE AS IT WILL BE HARD TO WALK AROUND ON PLANE. AND MOSTLY SIP...SIP..SIP!!! Dr. Ortiz YOU'RE THE BOMB DIGDY!! I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ANYONE MAY HAVE ABOUT THE SURGERY AND HAVING IT MEXICO, JUST PM ....ME!! AND YES, I WOULD TRULY DO IT AGAIN!!

LENA23:thumbup:

:rolleyes2:How long does Dr. Ortiz have you stay in the hospital. Dr. Rod requires you to stay two days...I have the band placed on Thur. afternoon and then if all goes well am released from the hospital on Sat. I was just wondering because some call it outpatient and some require hospital stays...me personally with going to Mexico I would rather be there with the Dr. for a few days to make sure nothing is wrong....I dont imagine I would want to go shopping after the band is placed, but you never know. We will be going to Juarez, hospital angeles to have it done. Anyone else have gone there and their experience with the markets and getting their pain meds after as well.

Thanks

Me too.

I'm scheduled to have my surgery on June 4th. I'm thrilled and terrified. I'm really pleased, and I DO want the surgery, but there's this little voice in my head saying things like "I'm overweight but honestly I'm pretty darned healthy - why do I want to do this? Is it just vanity? OMG what if something goes wrong?" Then I look at my very MO husband who can barely walk up the stairs anymore and is having loads of health problems and I remember why.

I NEED to be healthy. I NEED to be strong. I NEED to do this for my 14yr old DD who still needs her mom and for my 19yr old DS who doesn't think he does but calls from his dorm room when he's sick. I NEED to do this for them, not just for my vanity.

But I'm not going to object to being smokin' hot too! ;-)

Always (ready to turn a few heads) ;-)

Hunzi

I am being banded on june 10th by Dr Rod in Juarez. I am very nervous also. I have a friend that had the surgery with him and she has a lot of good things to say about him. I also had concerns with my fills but my friend told me that she didnt need a fill after her surgery for a year. I guess not everybody is the same.

Ginger...we have a doc in grand praire/fort worth area that does the fills. My friend who was just banded by Dr. Rod has seen him a few times and likes him. I am not exactly sure how much he charges...I think in the 200 dollar range. Are you going through Belite? If so who is your faciliator and if I may ask how much are you paying for your procedure. Looks like I will be keeping your bed warm for you before you get there....I will the rowdy american all of them are talking about when you get there....free from the kids....woohoo..hahah just kidding. I am assuming you are going to Juarez? I would love to add you to my friend list so we could chat...I need all the support I can get right now so I don't chicken out.:D

I am so happy that you replied to me. I would like for you to add me to your list. I am going through belite and my facliltator it jane she is very helpful.

:rolleyes2:How long does Dr. Ortiz have you stay in the hospital. Dr. Rod requires you to stay two days...I have the band placed on Thur. afternoon and then if all goes well am released from the hospital on Sat. I was just wondering because some call it outpatient and some require hospital stays...me personally with going to Mexico I would rather be there with the Dr. for a few days to make sure nothing is wrong....I dont imagine I would want to go shopping after the band is placed, but you never know. We will be going to Juarez, hospital Angeles to have it done. Anyone else have gone there and their experience with the markets and getting their pain meds after as well.

Thanks

JKPENNY....CHECKED MORNING OF THE SURGERY 5/22/08 AND NEXT AFTERNOON A FRIDAY WENT BACK TO HOTEL, SHOWERED AND WENT SHOPPING. GOOD TO GET OUT TO SEE HOW IS WORKING. ONE GIRL WHO HAD BEEN SHOPPING WITH US HAD CONCERNS ABOUT HOW HER CHEST WAS AND ORTIZ TOLD HER TO TAKE A CAB TO CHECK HER OUT. THEY GAVE US HIS NUMBERS TO CALL THRU THE DAY WITH ANY CONCERNS BEFORE WE HAD TO FLY BACK HOME. WHEN YOU FIRST GET OUT THE BED TO WALK.....GAS-X!!!! ALOT OF US DIDN'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GAS RIGHT AWAY AND THEY HAD GAS AND PAIN PRETTY BAD AND JUST WANTED TO LAY DOWN. BUT THAT MAKES GAS WORST AND JUST STAYS IN CHEST AND STOMACH. WALK...WALK...WALK!!!!

LENA23

you mentioned that your friend had surgery with dr. rod? did hers go perfectly well? i was just really starting to think about "what if something else went wrong?" I am really scrounging up the change to get this procedure done, did your friend make sure she had extra money incase of something else needing to be done? I dont want to be stuck in mexico because I cant pay!! lol ...seriously though