Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much before first fill

I need some help......I had my surgery on 3/31/2008. I won't have my first fill until 5/30/2008, right now I can eat a lot more than a small amount of food. I just eat two enchalida's, chips, and dip. I was told since my stomach has healed until my first fill, food will basically go through until than. Can anyone give me information on their own first experiences. Thanks in advance!!!:thumbup::cursing:

The first six weeks, from what I understand, are will power. Yes, you might be able to eat more, but you should make healthier choices. Instead of enchiladas and chips and dip, try a piece of fish and a veggie. Lean Protein will keep you full longer and will not cause you to gain weight

Hey I had kinda the same question, I noticed today I could eat a little more than I thought I should be able to, I know if you drink while you eat it just pushes it through to the rest of your stomach so yeah you can eat more. My question would be I know we all saw the dietician/nutrsionist

but should we be following a high Protein,kinda lob carb,lots of veggie kinda diet that what i thought but it still all so new. Help. With the fill you are suppose to fill like you did right after surgery. So good luck on your fill but that same sensation will come back after the fill when the swelling goes down, that's why we keep going back. Wish you well, all we can do is try.

sheemac:thumbup:

Yes, absolutely this is the time to train yourself to make healthy choices whenever possible!! Back away from the enchiladas!!!

was banded 12/21/07 on my 6th fill could eat all I used to thru 5th fill maybe just now I'll be able to tell I had surgery.ken

Thanks for the replies!!! Everyone is right, I need to make better choices, I forgot thats how the weight came on!! LOL! Thanks again!

Hi to all , i got banded on April 10 , so am done with my 6 weeks ,am supposed to be filled on thursday ,22 , but i forgot to take an appointment with my Dr for my first fill ( can u imagine that:blushing:)! so i took my appt on the 28 of May.till now i lost around 27 lbs.

So, what do u think is it ok???

and i knew that if u r doing fine the dr will not perform a fill .what is the accepted wt loss for that ? what do u think do i need a fill !!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Hi royalbee, are you feeling full after you eat a little or are you realizing you can eat more after the first 6-7 weeks. Some people don't get fills if the unfilled band is working for them. Me on the other hand need a fill; only five more days until the first one!!!

Ya know--I am so sick of everyone saying " make healthier choices" I think we all know that is the ultimate goal but we didn't get 100 lbs overweight by practicing that so perhaps it is not that easy. obviously being new to the band we are going to test it and see how much we can eat before we get full, and for those of us w/ families i'm not gonna force them to have fish and carrots at every meal---enchalidas are fine---EVERYTHING is fine----- "in moderation"--enter our band, to restrict 6 tacos down to one half maybe one taco. I feel very apprehensive to come on and ask questions about whatever---cheating here and there--looking for support but instead getting reprimanded. I feel that if you have been the exception and followed every rule and never tested the limits offer words of advice maybe what helped you but don't critisize--we'd call our dr. if we wanted that

thanks for the reply essieburton, and yesssssssssss am feeling hungry all time ! :biggrin2:, sometimes i feel restricted sometimes not at all ( although am not yet restricted:sneaky:.)am looking forward for this fill , but am concerned that it will not do much to me , since am reading a lot of comments on that ( i know each case is individual, but it seems this is the trend for everybody).:confused_smile:So , let' s see what s going to happen ! good luck for u also:wink_smile:

Cristi -- I hear your frustration! I had enchiladas Friday night and Fetucinni Alfredo Saturday night!! (PB'd both of them, but that's another story.) And yes, I eat them in ridiculously small portions, so mentally I am OK with that. However, I ALSO know that I'm not getting proper nutrition to fuel my body and I'm not going to lose weight that way. I'm down to 180 and even in "moderation" those types of meals will not allow me to lose weight. You can be sick of these comments or not, it won't change the fact that you have to make healthy choices to lose weight. Sorry, but that's the deal.

My doctor did not suggest a particular eating plan. He didn't even put me on a pre-op diet! He said, "Enjoy the foods you've always enjoyed but in smaller portions." Well, the 1st 6 months I was a very good little bandster and ate fish, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. I also worked my butt off at the gym 4x a week. I lost weight. 6 months later I hit a plateau, quit the gym, relaxed my eating rules, and haven't lost anything significant since November. Hello? What's the lesson here??

Do what you like. Eat how you like. But you will have a much more difficult time getting the weight off....especially after 6 months and your body has made it's adjustments. It's up to you!

Edited by TerriDoodle

I think everyone's answers are great! It gives us different views and opinions on what works best for each one of us and what we can share and take away from it. I believe fully believe in making healthy choices but at the same time I want some enjoyment out of it. This weekend I found out I can have shrimp, pulled pork, veggies, etc in moderation and cooked to where it tasted great, lots of flavor. Being a black southern soul food cooking gal, I am now finding ways to enjoy soul food and other dishes with half the calories, fat, and what not. My main problem is grain type dishes especially anything that is made of flour. This is my weakness. But after reading some other threads and reading different recipes from low carb and regular recipes from different websites, I've concluded we can enjoy food with alterations done to best serve our physical and mental needs.

Thanks again for everyone's opinions! I think this is great!