Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens at the meeting with the nutritionist?

I am curious to know what happens at the meeting with the nutritionist. My insurance only requires that I have the psych evalution and the nutritionist.

Can I get a few people who have met with the nutritionist and find out how she/he affects your ability to have the surgery?

The first meeting was a classroom type meeting where she did a Power Point presentation explaining in detail what we should eat for Pre-op and for Post-op and details on why we should follow these diets. She gave us sample menus and information on what to buy and where to get it. She explained how we will need to re-train ourselves to eat slowly taking small bites and chew-chew-chew :rolleyes2:

The second meeting was a one-on-one where we discussed my current eating habits, where/what/how I eat, when I eat, do I eat out etc. Gave advice on trigger foods, avoiding carbs and different tips to help me to lose weight after being banded.

Then she gave me a pop quiz to make sure I was paying attention.:P...I passed :lol:

It certainly helps you to understand how to make the band work for you so that you can be successful with it. I think the insurance company requires it to make sure that you understand that you have to do your part to make it work or the whole thing will be a waste.

Edited by Jodi_620

Hello Benhamgal:

Meeting with the nutritionist was excellent! First you will receive

a booklet that has lots of info about the lap band and how you

will eat before and after your surgery. It really is very informative

and goes into detail about the do's and don'ts of eating, or the

preparation before surgery and after.

Also she will go over the details of the book with you, and she

will ask if you have any further questions.

It was a lot to grasp in about one hour, however, once you get

it home and read it more closely, you will understand it better.

When you go to meet your surgeon (the consult) he will also

give you another booklet with lots of info about your surgery.

This was so helpful to me!

I wouldn't go back to my old eating habits now at all!!!

Wishing you well with your meeting and to your good health!

Best Regards,

Judie

I simply sat with my nutritionist for about an hour and we talked about my diet before and after surgery. We talked about the amount of calories and protien in certain foods and shakes and items when you eat out. Made suggestions of shakes I should try. She told me what I should and shouldn't be doing, now and after surgery. She told me about the things I could and couldn't have and gave me sample menus and recipes. She explained the different stages after surgery, took my diet attempt history and asked if I had any other questions. That was it.

When you use the shakes can you use Whey Protein or is there another type of Protein shake you should use? My husband works out a lot and he uses Whey protein so we always have it in the house.

That is exactly what my nutrionist recommended that I use. Along with the Atkins or EAS prepackaged shakes. She said she would prefer that I not use Slim Fast or anything that says "meal replacement".

That is exactly what my nutrionist recommended that I use. Along with the Atkins or EAS prepackaged shakes. She said she would prefer that I not use Slim Fast or anything that says "meal replacement".

That's good. So that's one less thing I'll have to buy. LOL Does it have to be plain or can it be flavored. Personally I like the milk chocolate flavor but I mix it with Water not milk. My husband said you can mix it with milk to get a milk shake taste to it but I'd rather not add extra calories if I can help it.:rolleyes2:

As I am sure you are well aware we all are given different instructions on the pre-op. For me, as far as flavor I can have any flavor I like. I can mix it with Water or Hood Milk (whatever that is...I never bothered going out to look for it). I can't have regular milk during my pre-op diet.

I am curious to know what happens at the meeting with the nutritionist. My insurance only requires that I have the psych evalution and the nutritionist.

Can I get a few people who have met with the nutritionist and find out how she/he affects your ability to have the surgery?

It depends how many times you have to met with them etc. I have to meet with mine throughout 6 months and she's teaching me how to eat better weighs me each time and we go over my food charts of what all I ate between the appts, exercise, and Water intake. Everyone is going to tell you something different because everyone has different doctors and nutritionists. lol We can give you the just though. Wish you luck.:rolleyes2:

Thanks Froggi. I kind of figure mine to be short and sweet (well was wondering about the sweet part) as the doc's nurse has already told me that I will be having my surgery in July most likely. I just wondered if it was a "pick at your brain" sort of session like the psych session.

Glad to know that it is not. :rolleyes2:

Thanks Froggi. I kind of figure mine to be short and sweet (well was wondering about the sweet part) as the doc's nurse has already told me that I will be having my surgery in July most likely. I just wondered if it was a "pick at your brain" sort of session like the psych session.

Glad to know that it is not. :lol:

You're very welcome, glad to be some help.:rolleyes2: