Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting pregnant with PCOS

After I lost a little weight, I'm hoping to get pregnant. Coming from people who have PCOS, I know this can be very difficult or it could be not hard at all.

When I was first diagnosed my doctor said if I lost weight I shouldn't be concerned about getting pregnant. Of course, now as I'm reading more and more stories I'm getting very concerned. Anyone have successful "natural" pregnancy stories, I mean, without using any type of metformin or fertility drugs?

I had lap band done in May 2006. I haven't had a lot of success with it. I have recently been doing a lot of research on PCOS, and soulcysters.com is a great website. There are a lot of natural supplements people are having success with...like soy. I however am going to start on met and clomid in June, and I am hoping and praying it works. E-mail me anytime with questions aycb81@yahoo.com

Ok guys, here's an almost sure way to get pregnant. Worked for me and for 2 other people I told about it.

Get yourself some dong quai capsules. You'll want to take about 6 or 7 size 0 or 00 caps a day. Lots.

If you're not having any periods, find out when your best friend starts hers and start taking the caps on the first day of her period. Keep taking them for 14 or 15 days and stop. If you were going to have a period, assume you would have it in another 14 to 16 days. Get yourself a pregnancy kit and test your self about a week after it says you can. That is, if it says you can test so many days after the first day of your missed period, wait a week and then test. This is because with this the positive tests aren't always really clear when they should be.

If you are having periods, start taking it on the first day and continue for 14 or 15 days and then stop. If you miss your next period, follow the same instructions for a pregnancy test.

After I lost a little weight, I'm hoping to get pregnant. Coming from people who have PCOS, I know this can be very difficult or it could be not hard at all.

When I was first diagnosed my doctor said if I lost weight I shouldn't be concerned about getting pregnant. Of course, now as I'm reading more and more stories I'm getting very concerned. Anyone have successful "natural" pregnancy stories, I mean, without using any type of metformin or fertility drugs?

I have had PCOS for at least 11 years. Back in 2004 (towards the end of the year) I lost a lot of weight on Atkins. I began having regular periods after that and the thought of getting pregnant crossed my mind. My DH and I had been trying for quite some time and we decided not to put so much stress on ourselves. We decided to just not worry so much and let things happen in it's own time.

Meanwhile, my mother suggested that I drink a concoction of Water (8oz. purified), BRAGG organic raw apple cidar vinegar (about 1-2 tsp), and organic honey (1-2 tsp) mixed well. I did this for 3 months, twice a day. Well, during my 3rd month of doing this, I found out I was pregnant! I'm sure the weight loss was the main reason, but I think the drink helped too. Maybe it's worth a try when you are ready to start trying.

Good luck to you!

In 2000 I was diagnosed with "severe" PCOS. I had about one cycle a year by that point. 2001-2003 we went through infertility treatments. I had no ovulation response to ANY medications and only a full treatment of prometrium could trigger an anovulatory cycle. I ended up adopting three beautiful children and in 2006 had lapband surgery. I lost over 100 lbs. In March of this year (2008) I "felt" pregnant but really thought I was nuts because I figured my pcos was still going strong. Since surgery I had only had a few natural cycles but couldn't remember having one recently at all. but After three positive home preg tests and a subsequent positive blood test- I still have days I don't really think I'm pregnant! I guess now that I am 14 weeks along and have seen the baby literally "bouncing" during the ultrasound pics I should really believe it, huh?

PS-I had been taken off metformin but after losing most of that weight but then my appetite seemed to be growing and I asked the doc to put me back on it. They agreed but only at the lowest dose of 500 mg a day. It was exactly one month later I was pregnant!

It CAN happen!

I took off 50lbs, took my glucophage faithfully, and had no problems getting pregnant. Although...I will say that I had a very difficult pregnancy, delivery, and post pardum period as a result of my pcos.

I had lap band surgery July 2006, have PCOS, lost 50 lbs after surgery and got pregnant june 07, after 14 years of waiting! My pregnancy went great, I did have my band unfilled for the pregnancy. I also did develop gestational diabetes at the end of my pregnancy. I have a gorgeous baby girl she is 8 months now, I am so happy. It has been a challenge since birth to not gain weight, I am still unfilled. Estrogen is stored in fat, so loosing weight gets the horomones working right.......good luck it will happen, Im sure!

Zoe

Have you thought about trying complementary medicines? Acupuncture is supposed to be really good at helping the hormones to balance more naturally.

Hi there, I was told 10 yrs ago I had pcos and would have trouble conceiving naturally, first year of having my band I fell pregnant, but lost it, 6 months later found out I was pregnant again and now I have a very healthy 4 month old son, I never had meds or even kept track of my cycles, I wasn't trying to fall pregnant my weight was at a complete stand still. I was still at the heavy side of my weightloss goal which shocked me but that just tells me there is a chance for anyone to conceive naturally pcos is a strange thing, the folicals do disappear and u can ovulate symptoms are different for everyone. Just don't give up!!!!