Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very, very tight after first fill

I had my first fill today after 6 weeks, and I feel as though it is too tight. The doc put in 6ml, but I couldn't even take 3 sips of Water without pain, so he took some of that 6ml back out again, however I am still very tight. I'm wondering if I need this much fill? Since I got home today at 2pm (it's now after 9pm), I have choked down a half cup of milk (at about 4pm), a few sips (literally) of Tomato Soup (at 7pm, when I was *hungry*) and just now half a frozen fruitjuice stick, and I feel like I have a golf ball in the back of my throat and another one sitting on my diaphragm. Did anyone else experience this after their first fill? I am inches away from calling the doc and asking him to take more out tomorrow. Is having "restriction" supposed to mean pain after a few sips of liquid? If so, I want out!! :wink2:

Wow, we are like bandster twins, I was also banded on 7 April, and I also had my first fill today also, after 6 weeks. My doc gave me only 3mls. I am feeling fine, no pain, no difficulty (on mushies again for a day or 2). Definately call the doctor if you haven't settled down tomorrow. I do hear some people on here say that the restriction lessens in time. I'm no expert, but 6mls does seem a lot for your first go.

Try something hot, like some tea, I've also read that this can loosen up the restriction a little.

Its not supposed to mean pain !!

Take care now.

Edited by Luscious

Thanks for the reply :smile: It seems that you are doing a little better than me in the weight loss journey. I'll see how I go with a heatpack on my tummy tonight and then in the morning if liquids are still uncomfortable. I'm going back. I have no idea how much Fluid he took out, but it doesn't feel as though he took any out at all, this is exactly the same as I felt doing the Water test. :wink2:

well, I'm type 2 diabetic. The banding has enabled my blood sugar to normalise for the first time in 10 years. I've been able to stop taking 2 types of meds, that caused me to gain 4 kgs in 2 weeks when I started taking them, so I expect a lot of my weight loss is due to that and normal blood sugar. Either way, I'm going to take it :-)

Hope you feel better.

I have a question about my first fill. I had it done yesterday. They put in 4ccs which they said was the maximum that they could put in for the first time. It took a few hours to seem to affect me. I spent most of the evening last night nauseated, dry heaves and having difficulty talking. when I would talk too much, I would feel like gagging. Is this something that will pass? I've only been able to eat a few bites of Jello. Ive tried broth, but generally I hate broth and was able to only get down about an 1/8th of a cup. I'm still feeling the same way this morning too. :wink2: Ive done reall good so far. Had my banding on April 18th and have lost 35 pounds! :biggrin2:

I just got an un-fill yesterday! After 5 days of dealing with exactly what you guys are describing, I couldn't take it. My doc told me I was too full if things hurt! Not to mention the fact that I could only do liquids and they hurt. The liquids I could do was only a few sips. Couldn't keep Soup down and even Jello hurt! Dr. said nothing about the band should hurt and he got me in right away so I didn't have to go the long weekend. He only took out 1/4cc and talked with me for about 20 minutes while I drank Water the whole time! Much better! Still a little tight, but not painful! He also said when it's that tight it won't loosen enough with weight loss to feel better over time. Another thing to worry about for you 1st time fills it that he said later in band life it won't cause damage to be too tight because you have a callus built up around the band, but first time fills if they are too tight could start erosion into the stomach because it is so early and the stomach hasn't had time to build up callus around the band! Don't wait around....if you are in pain and can't eat---get an unfill! Better to be loose than tight! Especially for a 1st fill! The restriction should be gradual and slowly build up to perfect restriction!

I feel amazing today, after being in pain, depressed, lethargic and no energy for the past 5 days! Did loose 10 pounds in the 5 days---but not worth it and I'll probably gain it back because I basically starved and dehydrated for 5 days! ****Try ice cream! I know we're not suppose to eat ice cream, but it was soothing on the pain in my chest and I could keep it down and I figured if it was the only thing I was eating it couldn't do much damage, better yet the sugar free ice cream and Popsicles! It will put a little something in you! Try an antacid to help with chest pain as well!

Thanks you for your answer realmccoy, I will definitely seek some assistance if it hasn't calmed down, I am supposed to be on 2 more liquid meals (sipping on half a cup of milk now) and then I am supposed to go back to normal food, but I had *terrible* acid backwash all last night, which is something I have never experienced in all my years of suffering from reflux, and that worried me a little, if the tightness was forcing acid back up into my oesophagus. Anyway I'll see how it goes today, but I certainly won't put up with it for too long, thanks to your advice :rolleyes:

I am right there with you sister had my first fill yesterday and all I can say is WOW. First off I felt the fill felt the band clinch down on my stomach and thought what have I done to myself. Drank the baruim watched the Fluid go through the band,drank the Water to make sure, left the office, popped open my icetea and thought I was having a heart attack. Drinking has been slow and due to the raging headache I had I did manage to get about 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and gravy in but I can feel it all linger in my chest first. It is better today then yesterday but yep, you are not alone

I know this is not the same thing, but when I first was banded I had a hard time even drinking liquids for about 2 days, it was starting to worry me so I called the Dr. and she said that it sounded like I had some inflammation near the port site as well as inflammation of the esophagus. She suggested I take something for heart burn, I did that for a couple days and immediatly felt better. I am not sure if this will help you but it might help to get you thru the first couple of days till things loosen up a bit. Hope everything works well for you.

Funny you should say that lorib, I had terrible heartburn this morning, so I chewed on some Rennie, and then took one of my reflux tablets and started to feel immediately better. I'm not having issues with taking pills, since I took some painkillers earlier, but I am still struggling with the tightness when I drink anything. If I take it slow, it's bearable. I am supposed to eat a normal meal tonight! I doubt that will happen :confused_smile:

Neeley, I hope you are feeling better soon!

Hi Sidd

Sorry you are having such a bad time! I had a horrible time with fills. I am what my Dr called "hypersensitive" to fills. I was only able to tolerate .10-.25ccs at a time in my 4 cc band. Anymore than .25ccs always always caused problems for me. It took a few fills to figure it out as well. But since it is your first fill the HB concerns me. If I were you I would call the Dr and see what they think. They may tell you to wait it out a few days because of the swelling or they may want to take some out. Not everyone can tolerate fills much, I am one of them. It took 9 fills and unfills for me to get to my sweet spot, and I have the small band! SO for me fills were a pain! (Worth it but a pain!)

Thanks Kitty, I will call them tomorrow. I do suffer from reflux, which hasn't eased like I hoped it would after having the band put in, so I am still on regular medication for it, but I've never had it interrupt my sleep so badly before. I will call the doc's office tomorrow just to make sure everything is going ok.

I am getting food and drink down ok, in very small, slow doses. I've had 2 crackers with tuna, a piece of chorizo (chewed very well!!) and a corner crust piece of pizza (about a square inch worth) and about a third of my proten shake, so I feel a lot better. Baby steps!

I have had 2 fills and the first one was quite tough for the first few days but then it settles. I had lots of reflux and hiccups and the first night felt like I coulnt get anything down. The first 48 hours were the hardest for me but I think if it goes any longer than that or the pain is unbearable then you should seek advice

Just a little update, I had a very bad moment on Friday afternoon with a bite of tinned pear and called my doc's office in tears because I was so uncomfortable (pain from my stomach to my throat and all the muscles in my jaw and tongue spasming which is a really strange and miserable sensation) and he called me straight back saying I needed to be careful and drink liquids for the weekend and if I was still feeling it by Monday to go in and he would take out some more Fluid.

Anyway, I was careful all day Saturday and had mostly liquids, and then today everything has calmed right down, I was able to have a scrambled egg and half a bacon rasher for Breakfast, and a few bites of ravioli for dinner with a couple of Snacks in between and I no longer feel like I am drowning when I drink something. So I think it must have been all stirred up from Wednesday and just needed a couple of days to settle. :biggrin: Very happy with the restriction I have now, I'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your advice, I don't know what I would do without this forum!!