Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about the pain-banded 5/13/08

Hi everyone. I just had my lapband done 1 wk ago. 5/13/08. I know others whohave had it done and none of them seem to have much pain after the first few days. I'm going on day 8 and still taking vicodin. I have little energy. I have lost 17 lbs already..is that to much for the first wk? I have little deisre for food and really can look at the food but it just doesnt' faze me. Most of the pain is in the middle of my stomach. Please advise, as Ihave told the nurse yesterday but she didn't seem to concern

I was banded on 5/15 and am still taking pain meds as well. I mainly seem to be experiencing pain around the port incision - I assume because of where they attached the port inside?? My doctor doesn't seem to be concerned either.

I think I had unrealistic hopes of being much more pain-free by now, because I keep comparing this to when I had laparascopic gall bladder surgery 1 year and a half ago. With that surgery I was up and about and feeling hardly any pain at all by about 3 days afterward. This time around I've had more intense pain and for a longer duration. I haven't left my house in 5 days!

I also feel discouraged because it seems much of what you read on LBT is written by folks who say, "I had my surgery at 8am, I was home by 4pm, and I was out walking around the block with my husband at 7pm!" Personally, I stayed in the hospital overnight, and when I came home the next day I was in pitiful shape! It would have taken me around 5 hours to shuffle my way around my cul-de-sac, with the pain I was in.

I'm trying not to feel too discouraged though - I really think everyone experiences this in a different way. I keep giving myself pep talks: Just because I haven't bounced back as quickly as most other people have described, doesn't mean that I won't feel better fairly soon, and it certainly doesn't mean that I won't be as successful as anyone else!

Also, I know that pain medication like vicodin or percocet or any of the narcotic ones really zap your appetite. That's why I'm not getting too excited about the pounds I've 'magically' dropped so far.....I have a feeling they might come right back as soon as I get off the pain meds and get some kind of appetite back.

Good luck to you!

I also feel discouraged because it seems much of what you read on LBT is written by folks who say, "I had my surgery at 8am, I was home by 4pm, and I was out walking around the block with my husband at 7pm!" Personally, I stayed in the hospital overnight, and when I came home the next day I was in pitiful shape! It would have taken me around 5 hours to shuffle my way around my cul-de-sac, with the pain I was in.

Good luck to you!

haha, this made me laugh, only because its exactly how i felt. I was in a lot of pain, both physically and somewhat emotionally regarding my new life. Id go on this website, and see how GREAT everyone was doing and how much the weight was just dropping off, and well...that wasnt my scenario. I actually had to just take a few weeks off from coming here, just to focus on ME and recovering and just to follow my dr's orders to a T. I noticed i was comparing myself to everyone else...when, we are all different.

good luck to you both, it does get better.

I'm going into my sixth day and am still on pain meds. I've slowed down a bit (didn't take it until bedtime tonight ) but am going to ask the doctor for more pain medication at my post-op visit tomorrow. Has anyone experienced a doctor not wanting to give them more. He did give me a fair amount of roxicet and I never went over the dosage that was required, but I really feel like I'm going to need it for a few more days and I don't have that much left.

I had a lot of pain too! I missed about a week and a half of work. (Im a nurse). You have a lot of pain, from a foreign object being in your body and whoever told any of us that this is just minor surgery, was mistaken. The other pain that I really experienced, is from the port itself. It because of how it is sewn in place or stapled. You may have port pain off and on for at least a year or so. That is normal.

sooo glad I'm not alone in this. I was banded 5/12 and I'm still hurting pretty good. This is my first post since banding because everyone told me, "Aw, the pain is not bad!" Bull corn! My port area still hurts the worst. Still taking pain meds, but my own. Dr Zapata doesn't think there should be much pain post op. :wink2: And I started summer classes 5/19. Been a tough week for me! Just glad I'm not alone. We are getting better everyday, right?

BTW~ I've lost 15lbs. Probably Water but, I'll take it!!

Hi! I was banded on 3/5/08. I had pretty bad, searing pain at the port incision site (the biggest site) for about 7 days. I stayed on my pain meds regularly. The doctor said it is coming from the area under the skin where they attached the port. I had the same kind of pain occasionally for several more weeks, but ibuprofen took care of it. Even now, if I overdo it, I will get the same kind of pain. Sometimes, I tend to lift too much & do too much heavy work (especially gardening). Your pain will subside after a while, so don't worry about it. proudmary

Everybody is different. I had surgery on 5/9 and afterwards was told that my pain options were tylenol with codeine or just plain tylenol. I didn't take the codeine because I'm allergic. I only asked for it once anyway due to extremely bad headache. That was caffeine withdrawal and anesthesia related.

I've had pain of one sort or another my whole life, so I have to say that this was pretty darn easy! But everyone is different. If you haven't had much pain or any surgeries, then you don't know what it would feel like.

I would say though, that 8 days on Vicoden is pretty extreme. I didn't even get that much when I had my two back surgeries or my hysterectomy! Personally, I think you should try to wean off it and start using things like ice packs and heating pads. These will be more useful to you later.

Pain around the port is the most common. Mine is still very sensitive too. You're doing fine!

Happy Day!

Barbara

:thumbup:I was banded on May 19th at 9:00 am, I spent the night in the hospital and used very little pain medication while there- I got home in the afternoon on 5/20 and quickly went to bed I was so tired from dealing with the room mate from hell- my biggest concern at this point is the gas like pain I'm getting under my left side- damn I get it when I eat I get it when I don't eat-

I am on a full clear liquid diet for 4 days, than on to full liquids for 10 days than on to mushy food- I've got to tell you I'm not looking at food like i used too- the thought of eating Jello makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I realize this is only day three so I just have to give it some time I don't think I'm experiancing any different thany anyone else other than the need for pain meds- I'm thankful I haven't had to have any since coming home.

I too am day three.. and I hurt like heck... but I have the time off and will walk and rest as long as it takes... only Popsicles tea Jello and Water so far and that makes me belch ... might have chicken broth tonight.. if I feel like it.. Protein Drinks start Friday I think..

I was banded on a Wednesday and was crying that Saturday night saying "why did I do this" I was better emotionally the next day and then decided to go to work on Monday. I wasn't ready to go back and was laying down most of the day. I should have waited a full week! Even that Thursday I wasn't myself. I would advise anyone to take 10 days to stay at home no matter what! Everyday activities can be very straining even though we take them for granted. The pain threshold depends on an individual basis but we cannot see what is going on inside of us! Once you heal physically, you heal emotionally and it DOES get better. As time goes by you are not the same person you were and pain clouds your judgement.I may have only lost some weight, but I have gained self control.

Well I have to agree with you there is no way I could go to work tomorow.. or the next day.. I am taking my time..this is all so new to our bodies, you have to feel it out. and not rush the healing

I was banded five weeks ago today, and I still have port pain. It was a long recovery for me as well. I didn't go back to work for 8 days, total. Take the time that you need. Your body will tell you what you need to do. Don't be afraid to take your pain meds. They really do help.