Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what does restriction feel like for you?

I finally got some (plenty actually (restriction of course)) with my second band, yet the experience is completely different from the first time around. So I am wondering if it is different for each person, or if its due to the fact that I am "wearing" a different "model" ( inamed too, but 12 ml) this time.

The first time around, I was very restricted in the morning, but could have a couple of bites of something or other, a bit more for lunch, and yet a bit more for dinner. This time, I can only manage liquids until 3-4 pm, when I can start having solids, very very slowly (2-3 hrs for a tiny portion). By 8 pm, I actually have to control what I eat, because anything and everything seems to go in easily (within reason). First time around, i had lots of PBing. This time, none so far, can even have bread!!!! (a no no last time around) as long as it is at night, which is not a good thing).

Last time around I would get that pain in the chest, like the esophagus was about to split in half, and the pain would travel to and through my neck, jaw, temples and give me the most agonizing headache. This time, i feel pain in the chest, lots of noises, feel the food moving around, settling. No sliming, no PBing ( not yet anyway).

So, what does it feel like for you?

I too have had two bands and experienced differences... but in my case they were both Inamed 4cc bands. I have summed up my differences to the fact that my first band had a leak in the balloon and I never had restriction for more than a couple of days. But, with my first band if I overate I would get this pain in my side... almost like the stitch you get when you exercise... with this band I feel like the food is filled in my pouch up to my 'adam's apple' and this means I have had too much.

I am still learning how to work with my restriction, but here are some of the realizations I am coming to:

* When I am hungry, before my stomach even rumbles and growls… I get the shoulder pain that some experience after surgery. It only goes away if I eat and if I ignore it, I will eventually experience the other signs of hunger. I have tried my best to understand this and all I can say is that when I have too much restriction, I never get hungry and therefore never experience this pain… but at a good level of restriction (eating less than 1 cup of food at meals and having it last 4-5 hours) I will get this pain at least 1/2 hour before I feel other signs of hunger.

* When I am eating (and have a nice level of restriction) at first everything is comfortable. When I start getting full, it seems that things start backing up and it starts getting uncomfortable to swallow. Almost feels like something is stuck in the stoma. This is my sign to stop eating. Sometimes if I wait a while I can continue to eat, but I try to remember that if I am satisfied I should just stop eating and I can have a snack later if I get hungry. This normally never happens and I can wait 4-5 hours for my next meal.

* If I am really tight (like in the mornings) and I eat something… I might not have a PB episode, but I will feel like something is stuck in my throat every time I swallow. When this happens I can normally wait at least 2 hours, then drink a hot beverage and this seems to help.

* Finally, the last odd thing I experience when I am really tight is the feeling like I need to burp but cannot or barely can and it doesn't help the feeling. I also experience this if I eat something that doesn't work well with my band. For example - nuts. I have tried having a small amount of nuts and each time it gives me this feeling, so I am starting (I am a bit hard-headed) that nuts don't work for me.

* With my first band, I could still eat bread, chips, nuts, dry meat, etc. Probably because it wasn't working properly. Now, I have to be more selective with my food choices. My band does not like leftovers much!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is nice to see that each of us is different and our experiences are not always the same. Great job with your weight loss… you are doing an excellent job.

Take Care,

A.

Hi Judy... not sure if you meant me... but I have the Inamed 4cc band and I am currently at 1.3 cc. I have been as high as 2.4 cc in my present Band, but started having problems so I kept getting slight unfills until I got to where I am today... 1.3 cc's seems to be working for me.

I took almost two years "off" from the band to have my baby and just recently got a fill with good restriction again, so I feel like it's different this time.

To me, restriction feels:

-painful if I go too quick or ignore the subtle feelings of full

With my new fill, it is tighter and I am paying more attention to the subtle signals. It feels like:

-a slightly heavy feeling in my throat, not pain but slightly full

-I truly do not want to eat more

-I have to go slow with liquids even and can't drink more than about 1 cup at a time

I LOVE RESTRICTION!

BTW, I have a 9cc Inamed band (not approved in the U.S.) and have 4 cc in it.

ugh, my last reply is not here! Oh well...

Sassay, tell me more about your first band not working. I am afraid mine isnt either. A couple of days ago I just lost restriction. I went for seconds ( a no no) after dinner and it got stuck for one second, then I lost it. My portions are getting bigger and it just goes through ( still have a little restriction, but a joke compared to last week)

((background)) When I got my first fill in this band, I got 2 mls is, because IO was travelling overseas and didnt want trouble far from my doctor, after 5 weeks, when I came back for more, my 2 mls were gone. He didnt comment on this, just put more in, but I have been fearing that my band might be leaking, ever since)

or can it just be a fluke and I will get my restriction back with a vengance next week?

judy, my band is inamed "advantage" 12 ml, I have ( had?) 6 ml in.

fauxnaif, please tell me about pregnancy with the band! Did you have to get the band completely empty? did your port look funny? did you get morning sickness?

Sorry about all the questions, and the change in topics :)

tellie

Hi Tellie,

My band doc was scheduling me for fills every 6 weeks. With my first band I started at 1cc, came back in 6 weeks and it was pretty much gone. She thought maybe a lot of air was in the band and filled me to 1.5cc. After the next 6 weeks it was under 1cc. She then ordered a fill under floro w/ contrasting Fluid. This is when we saw that the fill was spilling out around the band. We believe there was a leak in the balloon. She filled me to 2cc and I was tight for a couple of days and then no restriction again... so I got my new band.

My fills are much easier now and at every fill, I still have what was put in the last time.

Hopefully, the end of my drama. :cheeky

I just had a very good local friend who has the band and she just gave birth this last week to the most beautiful little girl. I was so proud of mom and baby. The only problems my friend had was the occassional gallbladder irritation but they couldn't surgically do anything about it until after the baby was born. I don't think she has had any recent gall bladder problems so who knows if she'll need to get that taken care of. She did not gain anything during her pregnancy but actually lost a couple of pounds. I am waiting to hear how much she really lost now that the baby and placenta are out of her. She also had to have a C-section and that went perfectly normal. Her doctors were all aware of her band and she stayed nutricianally sound the whole pregnancy. Her baby weighed 7 lbs 11 oz. I'll ask her if I can post pics of the baby because she is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Best wishes, Teresa

I am so afraid of my band leaking. After my second surgery I swore to myself that if anything else went wrong I was only having another surgery to take it out for good. The fear ( rational or not) pre surgery, the anguish is too much, so if this is leaking.... I dont know what to do! get a fill every week I guess...at least for a while.

For now I am going to concentrate on the baby thing, my daughter is 3 1/2 and desparate for a sister/brother and I fear I have already waited too long, didnt mean for the gap to be too big between my children (if I ever get pregnant again), but had to lose some weight before attempting another pregnancy. I always try to figure out what I am missing, the big picture when things dont go as planned, specially when so carefully planned as I thought I had them.... I just cant see what is it that I am supposed to be doing now! :)

anyway, Hi Teresa!! please tell me everything about your friends pregnancy! was the c section band related or not ( I would have one anyway), did she have restriction during the pregnancy?

take care