Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing your 'mind' after lap band?

I was wondering if anyone else struggles on the weekends? I am almost 5 wks post surgery and would do it again in a minute but I seem to struggle on the weekends. This was true when I had tried every diet under the sun previous to the lap band.

How do you change your "mind" and the way of thinking about food? How do you start thinking with your tummy and not your emotions/head? I feel as though I need to eat more on the weekends and I need to learn how to change the way I think.. I know it is just an old habit.. any suggestions would be much appreciated... Thanks...:wink_smile:

I'm trying to approach it as if it were life and death. That's how I finally quit smoking. I've only had my band for 9 days, and I feel like I'm starving because I'm still on Clear liquids, but I just keep telling myself that if I eat anything more than I'm supposed to I'll die.

I also try to keep myself busy. You should get in to a support group as soon as possible. When you think you might have to eat more than you're supposed to, get on the boards and maybe that will help too.

best of luck!

Barbara

I want to be healthy and fit every day of the week - there are always going to be days when you struggle more than others. For me, its about making the decision to just do it !! If I want to go out to dinner on the weekend, I do - I just make sure I compensate for that in my activity and calories. It really is maths of calories in versus calories out.

For me, it's my personal relationship with the Lord. I have nothing but peaceful faith and trust in Him. I was just reminded last night how I can tolerate only eating 2ozs each meal with no snacking in between. And how can those 2ozs give me hunger satisfaction? Well, I haven't had "hunger pains" at all since my surgery. My surgeon used the original Lap-band with no fill since he said it gives better restriction. I thank the Lord for guiding him to use that one. I also thank the Lord for this satisfied feeling I have. Whenever my mind wonders if I'm hungry, He automatically lets me know I'm ok and He'll take care of me!! I can't explain the peace I feel except to say, based on what I read others are fighting who were banded same day(s) as me....I haven't had the hunger/cravings that some of them are fighting.

Hi one4u2belike- I was banded on 5/9 have currently been on mushies for the past week and am having hunger; however, I do find if I eat really slow and pay attention I recognize my satisfied feeling before I get to my 1/2 cup of food. I am just as nervous about weekends as you are...as they are tough. I also know from being on previous diets it is easier to say NO to the food then it is after you take the first bite. It seems like once you get the first bite in your mouth is is ALL over! I also am scared to death of stretching out my pouch so I plan on following the rules. Good luck and just stay on the plan! Fight Fight Fight!

I feel you, I really struggle on the weekends. I long for the feeling of fullness and satisfaction. I don;t feel hungry but I never feel full and I miss that. Weekends are hard for me too, I don;t have any advice, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Hi, I only weigh myself once a week. I do it Monday morning. That has helped me with the weekends. I also pick a food I am allowed to eat, but restricted it to "only on the weekends" that way I can have a special treat on the weekend, but don't blow my food plan. I'm loosing 2pds a week.

I am at 1 month and I would recommend getting a large drink container and putting something sugar free in it Like SF Grape kool aide. I make the drink a little stong (sweet) fill a my container with ice and always keep it with me. The sweetness helps me "Trick" my mind. I would also suggest sf pudding and sf whipped topping. The single serving size is awsome at allowing a tasty treat and is reteaching me what a portion size is.

Enjoy the Day

It makes sense that weekends would be a problem time. My son and I used to go out to eat every weekend -- we would start planning earlier in the week and look forward to it for at least a few days. The weekend is also when most people hit the grocery store -- stock up on all of the wonderful/horrible food.

You might try completely changing your weekend habits. Plan what you'll do instead of eat and have that to look forward to instead of food and eating.

I know that when I don't have a plan, it's easier for me to drift back into thoughts of foods and feasts.

Try fish or chicken with some mano curry sauce. Its about 40 cal a teaspoon, and tasts great. are you excercising? this will help as well with the hunger.

good luck.

p.s. I think about food all the time, but make choices, that what it will come down to.

For me, it's my personal relationship with the Lord. I have nothing but peaceful faith and trust in Him. I was just reminded last night how I can tolerate only eating 2ozs each meal with no snacking in between. And how can those 2ozs give me hunger satisfaction? Well, I haven't had "hunger pains" at all since my surgery. My surgeon used the original Lap-band with no fill since he said it gives better restriction. I thank the Lord for guiding him to use that one. I also thank the Lord for this satisfied feeling I have. Whenever my mind wonders if I'm hungry, He automatically lets me know I'm ok and He'll take care of me!! I can't explain the peace I feel except to say, based on what I read others are fighting who were banded same day(s) as me....I haven't had the hunger/cravings that some of them are fighting.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. :):thumbup::P:thumbup:... You relationship with the Lord is truly key. U have to know who u are and who's u r to make a huge step like this if u know what I mean. :thumbup:. Becaue it truly is more than just getting the band... It is so mental. U really have to keep yourself busy. It seems as if u work during the week and if u do and your off on the weekends like myself have xtra things lined up to do that will keep your mind off of food. put a rubber band on your wrist and when u have bad food thoughts pop yourself...:)... Actually i just thought of that one...lol.. i'm going to try that one also.. But u really have to keep busy....U can do it....:cool2:

What about doing more things on the weekends that don't focus on food so much? I know I used to plan the more decadent meals for days when the BF is off work. Cause I hate how he never reaheats anything and I take the time to make something *special* I want him to enjoy it, not cold. lol.

I have totally refocused my cooking habits on eating healther for my family, for me so when I get the band the changes aren't so suddenly drastic, and my BF recently got diagnosed with diabetes so he needs to adjust his diet and the kids well, they are just having to learn to not eat less of nonnutritional carbs.

Today don't count since I gotta reformat my computer. But anymore when hes off we are trying to do more things to get out of the house.

Cant wait for the pool to open as I plan on being there as much as I can so does my son.

We got my son a telescope for christmas that we are gonna start taking out to a friends house in the evenings where theres not as much light pollution.

Picknic in the park with way healthier foods. Since I make/pack it I get to decide what we eat. And how much to take. lol

The city parks here have free summer concerts 2 nights a week we plan on going out to also. The bands aren't the greatest. local tallent but getting out and about and away from fast food/resturants is nice.

I've been banded for almost 3 months and the hardest thing for me is realizing that my hunger is not from my stomach but from my head! My Dr gave me a good hint that goes through my mind everytime I think 'm hungry........I wait for my stomach to growl ........if it's not growling I'm not hungry!!!! I'll usually drink something and I keep myself busy. During the week I'm much more disciplined mainly because I don't want to be sick at work and I bring my Breakfast and lunch. dinner I usually try to have some kind of frozen diet meal. If I feel like dessert I take a sugar free pudding put some fresh berries on it and 2 tbs of cool whip and I feel like I'm cheating but I'm not!!! It's hard to break old habits but we wouldn't be here if we were all able to. It's really a head trip and the thing about the band is that it really is hard work but it pays off. I am satisfied quickly eating small portions and I have already lost more weight than I have in the last 10 years trying diets. On the weekends I get antsy so I walk my dog a lot, go to Farmer's markets, go window shopping, my apartment is cleaner than it's ever been and I learned how to knit and crochet.

So hang in there ...............you'll find the answers and you'll find what works for you and stick to it. :thumbup: Good Luck!!

I was wondering if anyone else struggles on the weekends? I am almost 5 wks post surgery and would do it again in a minute but I seem to struggle on the weekends. This was true when I had tried every diet under the sun previous to the lap band.

How do you change your "mind" and the way of thinking about food? How do you start thinking with your tummy and not your emotions/head? I feel as though I need to eat more on the weekends and I need to learn how to change the way I think.. I know it is just an old habit.. any suggestions would be much appreciated... Thanks...:thumbup:

keep yourself busy. try on new clothes from your wardrobe, organise in piles, too big, still too small etc.