Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so frustrated by school

Okay, I cannot begin to explain how frustrated I am right now with school. I spent a full hours sobbing and wailing over this, and I never cry that hard.

If I can’t get in the college of business, I don’t get my scholarship. If I don’t get my scholarship, there is no point in me being here any more. I don’t qualify for any financial aid because my husband makes too much money. I don’t even qualify for loans, but we can’t afford to pay for me to go anymore without the scholarship.

I left my husband and son to pursue this dream of getting a college education. I left with their full blessing, by the way. I moved 800 miles away from all my friends and family to move to south east Idaho. I hate it here, but I’ve worked really hard.

This has been such a hardship, coming out here, and my husband and sweet boy have been so supportive.

I was supposed to register for my Fall classes Friday, but there was a hold on my account. I figured it was a stupid parking ticket or something like that. So this morning I got a letter from the University saying I couldn’t register for classes until they got an official transcript from one of the schools I’ve got to.

Even without that particular transcript, I have enough credits to be a senior! So, I’ve had like four official transcripts sent to this frelling University. FOUR of them! They can’t find a single one, yet they’ve been able to do a transcript evaluation to know what they will accept and what they won’t. After one of the Ph.d’s I work with called the admissions office, they gave me a 2 day window in which to register for my classes. Great, except for one thing--- the damn dean of the college of business is on sabbatical and won’t be available for the rest of the week. He is the only one who can approve me to take the upper business division classes. AND HE’S FUCING OUT OF TOWN. What kind of ass leaves town the week of registration???

I am trying desperately to get accepted to the stupid college of business. I can’t be admitted until I take one more stupid math class. So I’m trying to register here at home, but the University of Washington doesn’t start accepting Summer students until later the week.

There is no point for me to try to add into classes that I might or might not get into. I can’t stay in university housing if I’m not a full time student, and I can’t be a full time student if I can’t get into the classes I need.

I’ve even considered not going on my summer internship in order to stay here so I can take that damn math class. You have no idea what a hardship giving up my internship is.

I’m so frustrated that I’m considering just leaving this week—saying to hell with the semester. But that would give my damn mother too much satisfaction. I've been a big disapointment to her my entire life, espeically since I refused to drop out of high school like she wanted. stupid wolves.

First up, leave your mother out of this. When it gets all emotional, I know it's hard and it DOES factor in to your feelings, but LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS! She does not count. AND make sure to keep a list of phone contacts and names, times and dates, handy so you can easily refer to it the next phone call you make (ie: i spoke with so-and-so on this date at this time and...get it?) that always helps. Now, trudge through the week and do everything you possibly can to remedy this. And remember, noone is looking out for you at any University, noone cares about your dilemma except for how it effects their job at the moment. Doesn't mean you don't have to be nice (being nice is very helpful, you might find out about a question you didn't know to ask) but if someone tells you, for example, you can't do that yet because the Dean has to approve it, yada, yada, move forward as if he did the best you can, keep a record of your attempts, and keep trying.

Don't give up!!! You can do this and it's important. AND you deserve it!!!!!

Please keep us posted here on how it all falls together...and it will. Life is asking you how bad do you want this? Tell it "I want it BAD!" So there. Fight with a smile.

One more thing, any class you add can be dropped next week. Just add it, keep all your options open.

For that matter, go ahead and sign up for whatever keeps your full-time status, and when you talk with the Dean and he lets you in to the classes you actually need...then drop the fluff, and stay registered full time at all times. Drop/Add is a wonderful thing. Use it.

From reading your posts on this board you seem like a very tough, intelligent lady. Hang in there and don't give up now you've worked to hard.

Big yes to what Kathy said. Take action and take names. Is there an assistant dean you can talk to? Or a secretary? Get everything in writing. Talk to the head of the admissions department; surely one of those four transcripts is on file. You are going to finish your education, that's for damn sure. . . control your fury and turn it into a focused laser to slice through the thicket of red tape. Just be careful about burning clerks and assistants if you're seriously pissed off -- they can make life difficult for you, as I'm sure you already know. Good luck. Go get 'em!

Awww sweetie: this sucks. I know things are hard and it seems hopeless. It will work out. I agree with Kathy. Take names, dates, times, what was said, what was discussed.

HUGS darling.

There is a reason for everything that happens... when a door closes, look for the open window!!!

((hugs)) to you my friend!

God bless!

Sorry, Vines but you can't give up. No way, no how! You didn't come this far to let the powers that be get in your way!

Life is a balance, yin & yang. Up throught manure comes the sweetest blossoms.

Plus your my inspiration for when I go to school. When things get tough I'll be able to say "she did it, I can do it, too."

Best wishes to you. You've always been there to support me, (so I need to support you too!). I hope that everything works out for the best for you!

HEY VINESQUEEN.........Do you want me to come up and help you kick some butt........hang in there it will all be okay you will see....Rae

Thank-you everyone! I know that I can come here an get support. I feel much better, but I have a headache hang-over. (not from drinking, but from the terriffic headache I gave myself from all the crying I did. Things still haven't resolved, but I'm getting closer.

Stupid inefficient place. I would be so much happier if the university was run like they gave a damn about the students. Sorry, I'm still really stressed over this.

Noone at a University cares. It prepares you for the big bad world where you gotta watch your own back because noone else will. Which is why I hated the workplace back when...well, my old life before kids. I much prefer only keeping company with nice people who give a darn. But that little piece of paper is so great to have. It feels good to have it, and it gets you places you couldn't go before. It's worth it. Go for it and don't give up.

Chin up, and keep us posted.

I guess I'm just used to working for companies that care what happens to their employees. After all, when they hire me, they are investing a lot of money to keep me happy and and to keep me from leaving. I am used to working with professionals.

But the last time I was in school I was the lab manager for all of the computer labs. I had been frustrated by other lab aides who thought they wre all high and mighty becaue they worked in the computer lab. When I took over, I made sure that the lab aides knew that the only reason they were there was because of the students.

I know I have to finish my degree. I know this. It has been a dream for a long time.

Yeah Kathy, I know I should leave my mother out of this, but it is hard when I hear her tapes telling me I'll never succeed, that school is for loosers. Stupid wolves.

Tina it is so funny you said that! It is the same thing my son and his friends said. Or pretty close to what they said... Terran said "Great, just great! Now I HAVE to go to college, I can't let Speeny's mom show me up!" My son also decided that if I could go back to school at my "advanced age," then he could too. Gotta laugh at boy-ohs...

So today begins another round of this battle. I will use the full force of my charm to sweet talk the various clerks and secretaries into helping me get what I need. There is no such thing as a "little person" just little minds.