Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Wed. 14, 4 days out...still having pain

Hey, banded 4 days ago....wondering if it's okay to still be having some intense pains in and near the place where the port is. The incision looks okay, but so still on my left side. Had come thinned, cream of mushroom, Soup today. Have been so hungry and somewhat gassy. Not experiencing an kind of post-banding-euphoria, just feeling of something. I'm hanging. In suggestions about what to have in liquid forms? Have the whey Protein Shakes and some thinned sugar-free puddings, but really craving something more solid.:thumbdown:

It really depends on how intense the pains are and if it's constant or not. No one here is going to be able to evaluate your pain and you should probably call your surgeon's office if you are concerned. I can tell you that four days post-op, I had some pain, but I would probably rank it around 2 on a scale of 1-10 (ten being worst).

You should have a list of foods/liquids that you can have from your doctor. The list varies so much from surgeon to surgeon. At four days post-op, I was still sipping Water.

I am still in pain I was banded on the 13th I feel like my side is ripping where the port is every time I try to sit up or stand up straight. My incision looks ok too. Have you tried the Gas-X strips they have really helped with the gas. I even went to the bathroom for the first time today since surgery don't know if that was from the strips sorry if that TMI. Try Kashi Golean with skim milk blend it with ice cubes it's like a milk shake! Good Luck

I had pain at the site of the port for a few weeks after surgery. Mostly, the pain was when I was trying to use my abdominal muscles to do something. I would feel the port "tweak" on the muscle - it would make me stop whatever I was doing, and then the pain immediately went away. Otherwise, by 4 days out, I was pretty much off of pain medications (Tylenol at night).

I was banded on the 14th too and I am still in some pain. One thing I can suggest that helped me a LOT was to put a warm compress over the port site. (And I keep up on my pain meds!!!)

Thanks. Haven't been nauseated, just feeling hungry. Sort of. And yes, I have the list from my doctor's office and the dietician. I've read two books about LapBand and did a lot of research before having this done. I have talked to two people, who have had different experiences with their LapBand journey. OH, yes I have some of those GasX strips and they do work well. I have been on reflux meds for several years. It's a learning process I know. My incisions look okay, just sore and maybe on that 1-10 scale for pain....I have moments of maybe up to 4/5, depending on what I am doing.

Hope you start feeling better! Good luck.

I too got banded on the 13th in Australia and am having really bad shoulder pain have yau got and pain there? other wise im great good luck..

To wanttosmile...a lot of people on here have posted about shoulder pain...i pretty much think that is a normal complication. Feel better.

I bruised really bad on the left side were everthing was placed. And I am still very sore and was banded on May 5th. Tylenol and Motrin usually do it but if I over do it I have to go back to it.(pain meds)but not often though.My 5th day out I started eating cottage-cheese, yogurt, and sf pudding, applesauce per my surgeon. cause on the 7th day he put us on regular food. Protein first. Shoulder pain and upper chest pain usually means gas, so take the gas x and walk walk walk. And it will get alot better. I'm worried about going back to work. Hope everything goes well.

Wish you all the luck. Shee:cool2:

I too was banded last week - on the 15th, The nurse told be pain in the shoulder was gas pain and very normal. I have walked walked walked but still feel like a mariachi band in my tummy! Have taken the gas-x strips but need to take more. Finally took Milk of Magnesia last night and that took care of one of my problems this morning. And yes I hurt but only when I move - getting up and down is the worst. But I AM HUNGRY! I have been sticking with liquids, Jello and popsicles, and Protein Shakes but I think I am hungry!!!! Is anyone else hungry? My husband said I was crazy - how could I be hungry if my stomach was only the size of a walnut. Well he has a point - is it in my head? Thanks everyone!!! This will all be so much better in a week...we will laugh! :leaving:

If I am understanding my doc right liquids are passing right thru our band and into our old stomach prior to first fill. My stomach started growling yesterday for the first time I am hungry so I just upped my Protein Shakes which seems to help a bit. Still having gas and that horrid shoulder pain so I am sticking with the gas-x and taking tylenol with codeine to help me sleep. Also still having that ripping pain at the port site but it seems to be decreasing ever so slightly.

I started having pain at my port site yesterday (2 days after surgery) and I applied an ice compress to it. Today the pain is much better. Still there, and I have to be carefdul when I bend over, or get up to walk.... but not nearly as bad as it was yesterday.

I think everybody is different and we're all going to heal at our own rate. I've always rebound from surgery pretty fast so I guess I'm fortunate.

It's amazing to me how different each doctor is in what they let you eat or drink the first week or two. For me this first week it's basically anything I can drink through a straw, with no chunks. If it has chunks in it (like the cream of chicken Soup I had yesterday) I just have to put it through a strainer so I don't get the chunks. I find that the creamier things like Instant Breakfast and creamed Soups help fill me up the most. Plus I'm drinking tons and tons of Water, which also helps with hunger.

Good luck to you... hang in there, it will get better!

:thumbup:The hunger is normal. I feel like I'm starving. I had my surgery on 5/9 and have been on Clear Liquids since. I start blenderized Soups and yogurt on Tuesday. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

As the swelling in the stomach heals and as the fat surrounding it diminshes, you will feel more hungry. Remember that it takes quite a while for full healing to take place. Also, the band is a tool. You will feel hungry until you've reached your sweet spot on fills and have learned to count your calories and get between 800 and 1000 per day. THIS IS WORK! Any thing worth having is worth working for!!!!

Yippie for us!!!!

Yup, I feel pretty hungry most of the time. Everyone says that normal and I know I won't 'die of starvation,' but it feels that way sometimes! Having a 'gas' problem today; worst day since the surgery and I'm 4 days out...banded on the 14th. Having a lot of tenderness near the port placement site and wondering if there is any kind of creams or something I should be putting on the incisions? Nothing in my discharge instructions about that. And I take a reflux med everyday already and have been eating GasX strips and son just brought me some Rolaids Soft Chews, they're pretty good!