Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks Post Op - Feeling Guilty

Hi All -

I am 3 weeks out and I am ate the mushy stage. I have been trying to stick to the mushies, but I have to admit that I have been testing the waters a little. Today I had a couple of bites of a hotdog and yesterday I ate on of my son's chicken nuggets. I know I am not supposed to be doing this, but it is soooo hard. Then I feel guilty that I ate those things. I have to make this work - I need to lose this weight.

My doctor didn't require a post-op liquid diet so it was like once I had the surgery I went cold turkey and gave up all the foods I love so much...

I am losing weight and adjusting but I am wondering if anyone esle out there has had these issues. I would love to here from you.

weight.png

I am 10 days post op and already testing the waters lol... I got to have mushies 3 days ago and it helped alot to not have to do just liquids but there have been a couple things i ate that are a no-no...i had an onion ring at lunch yesterday..its really hard cuz everyone at work orders out on fridays and they decided to order from the coney island so i ordered chili no bean which is a mushie its just like coney meat, tasted great but my friend was eating onion rings so i got one from her, now i was smart and ate really tiny pieces and chewed till it was mush in my mouth but i felt guilty afterwards...when i went grocery shopping today i made sure not to buy anything tempting cuz my will power sucks lol

i am 6 days post -op and on the full liquids...just found out my doctor can't see me till the 28th which gives me extra liquid days as they say not to advance until i see them.

the mind over matter is the worst!!! my husband is heavy and today he sat in the living room chowing on grilled cheese and a pepsi--i swear i could taste it! i wanted to ram it up his rear though! real supportive!!

i think we are all going to crave and sometimes cheat. we are human. that is part of this journey. we just need to remember why we are doing it and stick to it!!! the outcome will have benefits that are endless!!

Everyone has slip-ups while following a specific food plan. However, the liquid and "mushy" phases of our diets are not for losing weight -- they're to help promote proper healing.

I would encourage you to stop testing the waters and get back to eating what you're supposed to for where you are in your healing.

My post-op food (or lack thereof) has been a challenge for me, too. I can't count the number of times I wanted to have something more than just Protein shakes and Water, but there is no way I'm going to put proper healing at risk over a chicken nugget or onion ring.

It's all about choices.

Edited by Enchanted
Grammatical Error Correction ;)

I'm not going tell you to go against your doctor's orders.

But at my two week visit I was released to full solids. I kept it squishy mostly and added solids slowly.

With that said, the reason you are told mushy is so your stomach doesn't chrun to break down the food which could pull out stitches.

Be good bandsters and don't beat yourselves up too much.

My first fill will not be until late July. My doctor fills you under the fluroscope so the insurance comapny makes you wait 90 days. Bummer!

Did anyone notice how much luquids they can drink? i used to the the type of guy that would drink a full glass (10oz) at a time. I am trying really hard to take sips, but it is all training yourself. I still can drink quite a bit of Fluid without feeling like I am going to burst.

I only had to do liquids for 1 week (protein shakes, milk, cream of potato Soup, pudding, Jello, even brocolli cheese soup from quiznos put in the blender...anything that i thought would taste good liquified in my blender and strained through a strainer as dr ordered) so i wasnt as limited as most..now im on mushie food so i can have anything that is pureed in the blender (hormel chili or mac and cheese are the 2 favs on the list i was given) but i am always thinking of something new...last night i cooked mixed vegtables and chicken breast and cut it all up in real small pieces, added some cheese sauce and put in the blender so it would be pureed (tasted great) in 2 weeks i can have soft food, which my dr told me the difference between pureed and soft is that you have to do the work in your chewing instead of the blender doing it for you...i have lost 52 lbs since january, 37 of them where before i was banded 10 days ago so i think im going pretty good on choosing things to eat now, dr even said that i was healing very quickly..im hoping to make 100 lbs lost by sept

I can drink about 8 0z before i feel full, and i am able to swollow about an oz at a time...my nurse at the hospital gave me 1oz of liquid meds and she said swollow it all at once so i did..then she said thats how big your sips of liquid can be...so that helped out alot...i still get full on about 4oz of mushies, and i get my first fill on june 17th

Edited by new_jewel

Oh Juli you have a year in.... is it easy? Do you feel normal a year later, but still lose weight.. can you eat when you want but small meals.. My husband is getting worried that I am doing this and wont be able to ever eat right again.. I think by what he means right is normal food. My surgery is Monday and I dont see many people who have been a year out on here..... Do you just adjust and go on living a normal life with this band?

Oh Juli you have a year in.... is it easy? Do you feel normal a year later, but still lose weight.. can you eat when you want but small meals.. My husband is getting worried that I am doing this and wont be able to ever eat right again.. I think by what he means right is normal food. My surgery is Monday and I dont see many people who have been a year out on here..... Do you just adjust and go on living a normal life with this band?

Your normal is different, but it does become normal.

You don't go to the buffet you go to regular restaurants and take food home or order small, like an appetizer and a vegetable.

You make spaghetti and meatballs for your family and don't eat the Pasta, just the meat, sauce and veg.

But there are constant reminders that just kind of become part of life. Like your friends want to grab a QUICK bite to eat, you're hungry, but you can't slam down a meal like used to do. The good news a little something will hold you over for a few hours.

It's about adjusting. It's not bad, it's not like it used to be, but it is very doable. And once your hubby sees how you are enjoying life more, losing weight and being more energetic, he'll be happy with your decision too.

if you're going to eat something and there is no stopping you, blend it, instead of just popping it in your mouth. it will give you time to reconsider. and if you are still determined to eat it at least its blended and not regular food which would be skipping ahead another stage.

Edited by favorite

Thanks Juli... Tomorrow is the day.. still very nervous.. my throat was sore all week.. worried about that.. drinking hot tea all day.. with my luck tomorrow I will be sick and they will cancel... I dont know if I could handle that after this long journey... Going to the store to get the rest of the things I might need next week... other than that... just hoping all goes well and I can feel good about myself again one day..