Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor wasn't exactly excited that I am thinking about this. She said that most of her patients that go through this procedure gain their weight back. Is that really true or is she trying to discourage me? She said she will support me either way, but got the impression she is not in favor of it. She lost a lot of weight a few years ago and has kept it off. I am wondering if she thinks I am just lazy like so many people assume about overweight people...What are your thoughts/ experiences?:wink2:

I would change doctors, I have never ever heard that, I mean yes people do gain weight back - if there pregnant, but that's the only reason. Ive heard more about people that have the gastric bypass gaining it back than with the band. It sounds like she is trying to discourage you but that's just my opinion, maybe you should talk about it with another doctor and get another opinion on it.

It's so frustrating with people who haven't really battled with weight where they just say, well stop eating as much and exercise...gee, I never thought of that:angry_smile: I got that impression from the discussion I had with her. I wonder if she will change her tune when I make the actual decision to have it and switch to support mode. I will switch if she still has the attitude. Thanks!

I lost over 100 lbs. when I had my band -- and NEVER put an ounce back......that is, until they removed it!! I was devastated and knew that once my band was removed I would gain the weight back, which I did. Now I'm working on getting my band back -- I can't wait!!!

Have a good band should keep you from re-gaining any weight. Good luck.

Thanks! Good for you for going back. Maybe our surgeries will be close and we can lose the weight together:smile:

Hi Moe: It's really hard to talk to people who don't have all of the information and only glean some of the information they share. Sure, if someone is determined to gain weight I suppose they can grind anything and eat it. Heard people gain the weight back, does that mean all of the people who have banding gain it back? If so how did they hear that? I imagine some folks on here would show otherwise by their loss....at any rate, I like the thought of finding someone else to assist you along your weight loss journey. Never let anyone steal your dream.

My best to you.

when I talked to my primary care physician he too told me not to have this surgery under any conditions. He made an appointment for me with a nutritionist and she said I should do it. The fact is that if I could control my eating I wouldn't need the surgery...now, I'm 9 days away and am excited

Hi Moe: It's really hard to talk to people who don't have all of the information and only glean some of the information they share. Sure, if someone is determined to gain weight I suppose they can grind anything and eat it. Heard people gain the weight back, does that mean all of the people who have banding gain it back? If so how did they hear that? I imagine some folks on here would show otherwise by their loss....at any rate, I like the thought of finding someone else to assist you along your weight loss journey. Never let anyone steal your dream.

My best to you.

Thanks! It is so hard to talk to anyone who doesn't have real weight issues. They just assume it is because I sit and eat bon bons all day which is not the truth, but this forum is great to talk to people who know the real deal.

I'm excited to go to the info night and get the facts and then go to her and see what she says. She is in an office with several Dr's, so it will be pretty easy to get another Dr. She has always pushed Soy and basically cutting out meat and thinks that will solve it. I just want to feel full, which I don't now...

my pcp wasnt in favor of any type of wls. he was very discouraging, saying everyone gains it back. but i got my band and i'm losing it. i can eat just about anything i want but not the mass quantities that i used to. thats success to me.

my pcp wasnt in favor of any type of wls. he was very discouraging, saying everyone gains it back. but i got my band and i'm losing it. i can eat just about anything i want but not the mass quantities that i used to. thats success to me.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. The sad thing is that I have had her as my Dr for over 10 years now, you would think she would want to support me with this, but it's not about her.

Wow! Hockey mom why did you have your bad removed. I've never heard of that. Did they make you? My brother had the bypass 5 years ago and has gained it all back. He said when I was getting my lapband he wished he'd done this instead because once he stretched out his new stomach there was no adjusting it back.

That is why I think anyone that says lapband doesn't work doesn't fully understand the difference and is maybe confusing the 2.

Would really like to know why you got it removed, I'm concerned now. I thought we had to keep these in for the rest of our life....good to know but so sorry for you that if we don't it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks so much for sharing, that really helps me to know I can't do it without the band.

It definately sounds like your doctor is "one of those"...meaning people who think that no one needs WLS....my doctor luckily is 1000% behind this.

My mom had Gastric Bypass 3 years ago and she looks AMAZING...plus her health is better than it has ever been. This is the "rough spot" for GB patients because they can start gaining it back around the 3 year mark. People don't realize (not meaning your brother plakeway) that you CAN gain weight after your stomach completely heals.That's why I know Lap Band is right for me because you're not slicing up your innards but you have PERMANENT PORTION CONTROL...that's what I've been calling it since I went to the seminar and THAT is my problem. Lap Band is just a tool in losing weight but it's a tool that I, like many other people, NEED to have. The will is there, the exercising is there...now I Just need the Portion Control and i'll be good!

Goodluck to you and honestly if your doctor is not behind you I'd definately find another doctor. Even if you get the surgery your doctor is not going to really be behind this and do you really want to get a condecending look every time you go to your PCP? Find someone who's supportive!

There are bandsters who gain their weight back. Or some of it. And I'm not talking about people who have had to have their band removed due to erosion/slippage/whatever else.

Some causes for gaining weight back even while banded:

1) Eating junk food instead of healthy food.< /p>

2) liquid & soft calories: make a habit of things like regular venti Frappucinos and Large DQ Blizzards and you'll be gaining in no time. Or that 900 calorie Jamba juice "smoothie".

3) Having your band loosened because of reflux or other issues - now you don't have full restriction anymore

4) Grazing all day instead of eating 3 small meals and a planned snack.< /p>

5) Going from regular exercise to no exercise but not cutting calories back to match

6) Emotional eating -- tends to be high-calorie food at non-mealtimes, and unplanned.

7) Drinking with meals, flushing food through the pouch making you able to eat more than you would otherwise.

Seriously, a couple years out you may find that you lose motivation; you've lost weight and are feeling much better, so old habits can start to creep in and pretty soon you're 10 lbs up, or 20.

Still, if you keep your band adjusted properly you won't gain back weight nearly as fast as without the band.

If my doctor were to say something like "everyone gains it back", I would ask for details though, because that's not what the band studies show. How many patients does she have that have the band? How long have they had it? ALL of them gained ALL of their weight back, even with the band still in? How about gastric bypass patients, does she have any of those? etc.

I think the older lap bands had that gap in it that allowed for more of a weight gain if soda was drank and the stomach could stretch more as it would slip through the part of the band that didn't hold the silicone in the older bands... the new ones go all the way around so no slippage and no stretching as easy.. that is what our RN told us in class.. more are losing better with the new improved lap band