Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes Chatter

Ooooook . . . I was chatting a bit about clothes with Marathinner (you gorgeous thing I'm jealous! :biggrin:) and Queen of Hearts in another thread, so I decided to make a new thread about clothes suggestions, and what wonderful ideas my fellow double V's have come up with! It will be quite awhile before my caboose sees a size 16 (Amy I don't think we were separated at birth anymore, LOL :blush:), and honestly I'm not sure what size I am right now. I think I've hit the dreaded "in between sizes". I'm still in those dang plus size women's stores (and starting to hate them!) My highest was a size 2X, now I'm in a 1X . . . but even now my 1X clothes are getting a little sloppy. I can't "shop in my closet" anymore . . . I haven't been below a 1X in years.

Ok, Ok . . . I know smaller sizes are supposed to be a good feeling! :smile: I've already been given the "awwwwwwww, what a dilemma" tease from my girlfriend (she wasn't being mean, we had a good laugh together) . . . but I think my fellow double V's understand about changing sizes! If I'm not a 1X, that means I'm moving into Xtra-large sizes, and are very hard to find! Most plus-size stores that I see start at 1X sizes . . . if I go into "regular" clothes stores, I'm really just too big still. An extra-large in "regular" clothes stores (If you can FIND that size!) is still too small . . . they are not made "roomy" like the plus sizes.

Sooooo . . . the clothes hunt is always a pain-in-the-rump for me, especially when I'm supposed to be a "petite" (i.e. too short, lol :)). I'm really not trying to sound like I'm complaining here, I just wanna vent and commiserate with my girlfriends! I would like to hear any store suggestions (or any ideas!) from my fellow Victorious Valentines . . . or please just share your own wardrobe adventures (not the Narnia kind, ok? :thumbup: )! Let's start some clothes chatter! :unsure:

I am right where you are at the moment size wise. I just got into 16 in pants & shorts and I can do either 1X in plus or XL in misses but it definitely depends on the style and cut.

Unlike you, I am having a blast with shopping. I started at 26 in pants and a 3x in tops so just the idea of getting things from misses is a complete thrill. I have had good luck at Kohl's, Mervyns, Dillards, and Macys. I have been going shopping for myself at least twice a week for the past month or so, I can't get enough!

Yes, Mervyn's is a great choice, as is Penney's or Kohl's. I am beginning to get into that threashold myself. Right now I'm just buying most of my clothes at Wal-Mart because I'm just going through them too fast. I bought a huge bunch of clothes in 1X and 18/20's. I'm finding I'm already almost close to donating them again.

You're right about the difference in sizes, as in an 18W vs. an 18 misses. I can fit nicely now in an 18W, but the 18 misses seems to be fitting tighter in certain areas. Especially in the thigh area. I can button them on, zip them up, but they are still too tight right there and I can't see myself walking around in those! At least I know where my new target areas are right now!! :biggrin:

I am a pear shape, so even though my pants are 18's I really haven't had any problems with an XL now.

Celebrate!!

Well..I put an APB out for a size smaller than what I am now and bless the ladies and sisters and daughters of the world. My sis brought me her OLD jeans that her boyfriend bought her which were brand new but she's a bit taller than me and couldn't wear them (thank goodness cuz they are the bomb!) and so did my daughter..I've only gone down one size in my pants and I'm still in WOMENS sizes..actually meaning PLUS! My shirts are looser but I haven't made the plunge down to a smaller size there because I like them loose..there are a few exceptions..I have some that were made by OMAR the TENT maker and I did have to let those go out~they were way, way, way too loose! My DH bless his little heart..says..let's go down 2 sizes before we shop!! :D That would be a great incentive! :D So I told him I could probably do that! I am just about down to the next smaller size in my jeans..I have an abdomen problem..too saggy and a booty that is s l o w l y going down!:woot: I am almost ready to shop till I drop!!:)

I've been searching for some new shirts because many of my old ones are just way too big. I started in a 4X or even 5X and I'm now pretty comfortable in a 3X. I think I'm shaped weird or something right now because everything just feels weird. I ended up buying two tshirts at Kohls that were pretty comfortable so I am between those, another older shirt that now fits again and my 4X and 5X tshirts that look like a tent on me. I think the problem is that I haven't lost nearly enough boob (started in a 48I, now in a 44G which is still tight in the cup).

My pants are annoying me too. I started in a 30 in jeans or 4X in stretchy things. I can wear a 24 or 2X in elastic waist but 26 in jeans or other pants that button. However, the 26s are too big but 24s are still too small. So I am almost constantly hiking up my pants. I can pull them down without unbuttoning which I guess is good since I pee about 500 times a day now. :thumbdown:

Hey girls, I just wanted to drop in and congratulate you all on the "downsizing". I haven't gone down any sizes yet but I think, MAYBE, POSSIBLY, my pants are fitting looser. It's hard to tell since they are all made out of stretchy knit material. When I finally lose down to a normal size I am going to vow to never, ever, EVER wear knit clothing again as long as I live!

What i suggest is get some tops(shirts) long or short sleeved ones you really like, but the sleeves fit, but they dont button up at the front, you can wear them as a jacket, and that way you cant see if the pants /skirts are too big down the bottom, when you lose more weight, and can button up where as a shirt., this worked for me.

I started a new tradition after my last fill. I drive straight over to a clothing store and pick out one or two items. I love it! It is so rewarding. As for what we all do with our old clothes, it would be nice if we had some sort of clothing exchange. I have no idea how it would work, but it sure would be neat.

Hey girls, I just wanted to drop in and congratulate you all on the "downsizing". I haven't gone down any sizes yet but I think, MAYBE, POSSIBLY, my pants are fitting looser. It's hard to tell since they are all made out of stretchy knit material. When I finally lose down to a normal size I am going to vow to never, ever, EVER wear knit clothing again as long as I live!

I feel ya. My boobs and shoulders got smaller...but those were the skinniest things on me so all my clothes look really funny on me falling off the shoulders and fitting on the hips, but all the stuff I have that fit my shoulders won't go over the butt or hips.

OOOOOH well, I'm working on it. I think you are doing great Gibson.

I think a clothing exchange is a great idea. I have a box of size 20s & 18s in my garage. Ten more pounds and my 16's go with them. I would be happy to ship them to any of you gals that can benefit. Mostly slacks/skirts/sweaters. I hardly ever buy anything that I can't wear to work. If you want them, just send me a private message. My husband will thank me for getting them off of his work bench!

Kjeter - That is so sweet of you! I just wish I had lost enough to take advantage of your very generous offer. I'm sure they will find a good home very soon.

I'm definitely having difficulty trying to figure out what size I am as well. Especially since I haven't been this size in a VERY long time! I have been noticing that my 16W jeans have been getting baggy on me. I wear jeans a LOT since I ride a Harley. They are a major staple of my wardrobe. I've been trying to just get my women's/plus size jeans from Walmart as they are cheap and have been fitting me well until now.

Yesterday, I went to Kohl's and after trying on about six pairs of jeans to figure out where I was size wise, I determined that the Lee Stretch, at the waist, boot cut jeans in a size Misses 18 fit perfectly! I think if I didn't have all the excess skin on my tummy I would actually be a 16 but until I have PS I'm going to have to accommodate the extra flesh.

I am in an XL shirt now with no problem which is down from a 1X/2X depending on the cut.

I also had to get new bras yesterday. I had been in a 40D at one point. Those and my 38D's had gotten so loose around my rib cage I was falling out of the bottom of them. Yesterday I got three new 36D's! (Yes I still have boobs but they are hanging a lot lower now unfortunately. They will perk up at the same time I get the tummy tuck! LOL

It's a little frustrating trying to keep enough clothes around that fit you but not having reached goal so you can replace your entire wardrobe but it's a problem I definitely don't mind having!

Jax that sounds like me. I've gone down one size and if it weren't for the excess skin on my tummy I know without a doubt I could go down another size..so now my legs look like I'm wearing pants too big but my tummy is still hanging on!! :rolleyes: I am still wearing my shirts that are a bit big but they are slowly being removed as well! My bra size has only gone down 1 size..both ways!!:tongue: But your picture looks like you've gone down more than the size you wear..you look really great!! Such an inspiration for the rest of us!!

I think a clothing exchange is a great idea. I have a box of size 20s & 18s in my garage. Ten more pounds and my 16's go with them. I would be happy to ship them to any of you gals that can benefit. Mostly slacks/skirts/sweaters. I hardly ever buy anything that I can't wear to work. If you want them, just send me a private message. My husband will thank me for getting them off of his work bench!

Hey Kjeter! What a nice thing to offer! I know when I started going down I called my sister, daughter and some of my friends and they came through for me and now I'm down another size so I gave them the clothes they gave me back and we're still laughing about how fast they were returned! Such a nice gesture and I know what you mean about your husband being happy to see them out of his area..mine is the same way!:rolleyes: