Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yipee! The best NSV ever for me!

You know when people talk about NSVs (non-scale victories), they often mention fitting into a smaller size or doing something like swimming that they were uncomfortable doing before - well being diabetic and for so many years (26 years to be exact). My NSV is that in the last 3 weeks, I have reduced my Levemir (my 1x daily basal insulin) from 50 units to 36 units! :) I have NEVER done that before!!!

Also, where I was often taking 20 units of Novorapid at meals, I now take 3-6 units. My blood sugars are really good, stable and I feel absolutely fabulous! :smile2:

It is so ironic, because one of the reasons that I fell off the wagon for a number of months was because I felt like a failure - all around me (on this forum) people were redusing the meds and going off insulin and I WAS NOT! I was so frustrated! But look!!!! I am doing it now!!!!

(Can you tell I'm a little excited)????

I know Susan, getting off or reducing Meds are the best NSV ever. I was lucky enough to get off my diabetes Meds right after banding (type 2) now i need to loose a little more and I might be able to get off my High Blood Pressure pills. I just got tested yesterday and my A1C is 4.6 which the nurse said is considered Normal. Normal...Me....Cant wait to have my weight be considered Normal.

Great Job.:blushing:

im on my 3rd day pre op diet, and my humilin injections at meals are already drastically down, so i can only imagine how good it feels to have come down after having to wait a while. july 18 is my day. good luck to all, and lets all Celebrate getting rid of this disease we have

This is wonderful. It's something we need to congratulate ourselves for when the scale will not. It's about health-not numbers. Thanks for the reminder

I have type 2 diabetes and am looking forward to getting off some of my diabetes medication and seeing my numbers stabilize. Yes, it will be great to weight much less but to be healthier is my main goal. :frown:

My diabetes doctor has not been very encouraging because he says he has not heard all the good news about the changes to diabetes after banding. He has been pushing me toward bypass surgery, but he said that at least I am taking a good step by doing the band. :thumbup:

I have been approved by my insurance and have done all my pre-op test. I now have to have another consultation with the surgeon, because I cancelled the surgery on June 12, but I am really ready now.

Anne from Pasadena, ca

Go for it. I have been off my Metforman since surgery and my blood sugar numbers after a month are normal.

I was banded in April partly in hopes of getting off my type 2 diabetes meds before having to go on insulin. I had about 50 pounds to lose. Unfortunately, my blood sugar levels are just a little bit less that before my surgery and I have lost 36 pounds so far. I am still running around 200 or more. I don't want to get on insulin. I joined the Y and am starting to exercise. My doctor told me that when I hit around the 50 pound mark is when I will see a change in my glucose readings...although I have read that many saw that change immediately at the time of surgery.

I am a little nervous that this surgery and loss of weight will not affect my blood sugar and that I will be one of the few who did not get that benefit. Anyone out there that this has happened to?:tongue_smilie::cursing:

any reduction in meds is a victory, and any reduction in glucose is HUGE...yes it may well be that until you hit around 50lbs down.....but the other thing is that fat and muscle ar so metabolically different in how they effect glucose regulation...try to build your lean muscle mass...aerobic plus weights or resistance bands etc...to try and change the ratio of muscle to fat in your body

keep it up you are winning

amanda

Just a quick update - as I continue to lose, I am now down to 30 units of Levemir and many days do not require any Novorapid even with meals! I am starting to metabolize some of my excess blood sugar! This is most amazing to me.

So to those who have not yet reduced their meds, or are worried they won't - be patient. Do your work with the band and you will definitely see results.

Edited by susansilver
typos

I'm newly banded Aug. 20, 08 and very excited to read these posts since a major reason for going thru the surgery was to reduce my BP and diabetes meds. So - less than 1 month after surgery I am down 22 lbs., off Metformin, glucose is NORMAL and BP meds are cut in half! Yippee!

Congrats, I'm sooo happy for you! I'm struggling on whether to get banded because I keep hearing that the banding doesn't help diabetics like gastric bypass and that diabetics have a very difficult time losing the weight. Thanks for your uplifting post!

Great Job

Brettalyn

After about a month for being down 50 pounds, my morning blood sugars are more normal...117-125 down from the finger prick at the doc's office of 315. My blood pressure has dropped also...YEAH!!! I am hoping to get off some of the meds I am on.:smile: