Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 5 day post-op story (short version)

Well guys since I am posting on the post op forum I will keep this mostly to my 5 day post op experience (since this is definitely the toughest period).

Day 1:

Went in on May 7th for surgery, no pre-op diet, went in an 9 was in post op at 10. I could not swallow because of the tube during surgery so they gave me ice chips. Had trouble breathing because of the mask, the kind nurse took it off. Got up at around 10:15 to sit in the recliner chairs they have and while sitting down passed gas. Was discharged by 10:40 and literally spent more time at the pharmacy than in the or! Finally got home at around 1 with tons of gas and tenderness from the incisions. The gas pains felt unbearable even with gas-x. Fell asleep in the recliner.

Day 2: Gas pains had lesson but incision and port pains still hurt. Just lounged around the house trying to pass the time watching tv. Still on liquids, couldn't eat much so I drank as much gatoraide as I could. Fell asleep on the recliner.

Day 3: Gas pains had lesson again but still hurt. Incision and port pains had lessoned but if I sat up or stood up it stung for about 5 seconds. Tried to sleep on my bed but I will still too tender.

Day 4: Still on liquids, but I could fill my appetite coming back. Read on the forum that a heating pad works. Placed the heating pad on my stomach while watching tv and every 20-30 minutes gas passed! It never felt so good! Also, was able to sleep on either sides and my back that night. My stomach was still sore.

Day 5: Entered mushy stage ate oatmeal for Breakfast with some milk. Had some applesauce for my second meal. Have a really bad taste in my mouth I can't shake, Water seems to help. I think it's from all the gatoraide. I can hardly feel the gas!!!!!!

Summary: Get a heating pad! I keep mine on me all day and even when I am sleeping! My nurse said to eat gas-x like skittles (she was joking but you get the hint) but I just hated the taste of the strips and didn't want to take even more pills.

A side note to all of you post op or if you're surgical date is coming close:

I never had surgery before and afterwards I was really upset at the decision I made. I regretted and it plagued my mind the first few days. I read the boards to those who said "it will pass" and it truly will. Once you're back to your regular self you will be very happy you made this decision! The benefit outweighs the risk!!!!

Take it easy!

Bored,

Thank you for the overview. My surgery is this coming Wed and I'm getting a little nervous. Thanks for reminding me that right after surgery I will hate myself for having surgery but that will soon pass. I will try to remember that in case I do start having doubts.

Hope you continue to get better and keep in touch!

Thanks for the notes. I questioned myself the first few days, "what have I done to myself" but within a few days that stopped. Now 2 1/2 months later, down 40 pds, it is a decision I wish I had made earlier in my life.

I had my surgery on May 6th. You have summed up the experience so far very well. I too had the ... what have I done... syndrome for a day or so. I was so thrilled when it passed. I wondered how I could feel that way after wanting and waiting for the day for so long.

I had never had surgery before and I was so scared...I wish that I hadn't wasted so much time worrying.

Maitai...don't worry...everything will be fine. Good luck with your surgery!!

moondshadow is that including pre-op weight loss? Even if it is 40 pounds in 2 1/2 months is excellent!!!

Congrats

I had my lapband placed on May 5, 2008. I've been continuing the liquid meals. Tomorrow I need to start adding soft foods. I'm almost afraid to start. I don't know if I have any restriction right now or not. When I swallow my liquid drink I feel like I need to burp. Is that the feeling I get with restriction?

I remember during the seminar they said if you drink too quick it will feel like that. Once the swelling goes down you don't have to sip, but once the band is filled you'll be back to slow drinking.

I was banded on May 6th. I think you did a great job explaining the procedure. I too am feeling guilty that I had to have this done, that I did not have the will power to do it myself. I also am having a hard time keeping down anything but Water, tea and crystal light. I cannot swallow Jello, my Protein Shakes or anythig else as they make me queasy, just like morning sickenss. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had my lap band surgery 5/7/08. Had to stay overnight, have asthma issues and they couldn't get my pulse ox up over 88. Home now for the third day. Bored. lost 7 ls.

Was banded Monday may 5. I felt like maybe I had done the wrong thing when I first got out. I had been soooooo scared..never had surgery before. It was a breeze. Since my surgery was late in the afternoon I spent the night but went home the next morning at 10:30. I didn't really have a lot of gas and little gas pain. I didn't have much pain at all after the first night except at the incision sights...but today I feel sore and my left side is achy.

I am struggling with the food...not sure what to do. Soups and Jello and pudding and shakes..all go down fine. My nurse said I WOULD KNOW when to move to next food stage..I would be hungry and ready...well Friday came and I was HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I tried some very soft scrambled eggs...big mistake..they are stuck. Hard to believe that three small bites of scrambled egg could feel like a turket stuck in the pit of my stomach....

I am a bit scared that I may be doing damage. Guess I need to go in tomorrow and sit down witht he nutrionist and plan out a week's worth of meals cause I feel very confused. I don't want to eat things like ice cream and such but Soup is just not cutting it. I even tried lentil Soup thinking..GOOD GOD this must last for a while...went down easy but gone too soon as well..

Anyway..the surgery itself was a breeze..truly...just the confusion afterwards has me stumped.

Cindi