Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision Scheduled for July - AGB to RNY

OK -- I've been slipped for close to two years now and due to several things I've been trying to get my band to self-correct but have finally stepped out of my state of denial (ain't just a river in Egypt). So, I've spoken with my revision surgeon and he's agreed to remove my band and revise me to RNY. I'll have to jump through all of the hoops a first-time patient would have to do; I've decided to start my food journal tomorrow LOL

I'm scheduled for mid-July but still need to get approved by insurance. I'm only slightly concerned it may not be approved.

My mom had her RNY 7 years ago and is in a size 12. I'd kill to be in a size 12. I only made it down to 16 before my band slipped even though I'd managed to lose 100lbs. I'm hoping that I'm the 1 in 10 revision patients that will lose all of my excess weight, and again the 1 in 10 that regains none of it :-) but I am trying to be realistic.

I'd love to hear from other AGB->RNY revision patients!!! Are there any of you out there?

I was banded about 4 years ago Jan 04 I had problems right after the first fill and I had terirble after care. to make a long story short I ended up having to have the band removed 7 months later and after a so called repair a month before. I lost 80 pounds in that short period of time due to being sick all the time. Once I got it removed I did struggle for all that time to keep the weight off until September of last year. Had a major life change, relocated, changed jobs and left friends behind. I have now started gaining.

I just started the process all over again, have had consult with doctor but he sugessted to go with the band again since I don't have 100 pounds to lose. They said they were going to turn paperwork in Friday so I will call Monday to see if they did send it in.

Hi! I had two slips, and erosion and underwent a revision to a RNY in August (9 months ago). I am SO thrilled! I have lost 104 pounds since August and am in a size 4-6. You can do it!!!!!!!!

Oh thank you CM -- I was starting to feel so alone out here :thumbup:

And WOW, what awesome results for you! I'm so proud!!! So, if you don't mind my asking, what's been the biggest difference in life and eating between the band and the RNY? Did you have a "proximal", "distal", or "extended" bypass - or does it even matter or do you even know?

My surgeon says that statistically I should expect about 50% excess weight loss which would have me losing 50lbs -- as long as I'm under 200 I'll be OK but if I could get into a size 10-12 I would be even better. Ideally a size 8 would be more my style though and would make me ecstatic!!! :thumbup:

Oh thank you CM -- I was starting to feel so alone out here :cry_smile:

And WOW, what awesome results for you! I'm so proud!!! So, if you don't mind my asking, what's been the biggest difference in life and eating between the band and the RNY? Did you have a "proximal", "distal", or "extended" bypass - or does it even matter or do you even know?

My surgeon says that statistically I should expect about 50% excess weight loss which would have me losing 50lbs -- as long as I'm under 200 I'll be OK but if I could get into a size 10-12 I would be even better. Ideally a size 8 would be more my style though and would make me ecstatic!!! :hurray:

Don't listen to your surgeon. He's quoting statistics and there are some lower numbers for revisions primarily related to people that "out-ate" the band and had compliance issues rather than troubles with the band which is actually more common. My post-op course as a revision has been exactly like the people I know who are first time RNY patients, if not a little better. The RNY surgery is SO much better. There is just no comparison at all. MUCH less hunger; able to eat almost anything, including meat. I have a normal proximal RNY with the typical 100 cm bypass. It has been so wonderful I can't even begin to tell you. None of the problems associated with the band, the weight has just been dropping off, feeling healthier, not near as much hunger and I could just go on and on. Don't in a million years let them psych you out at the start to think you can't get all the way down. They gave me those stats too, but I knew in my heart the problem was the band - it's just not good surgery. I have cooked along losing just as much weight as all the people in the support group that are first-timers with no problems at all. I'm planning on getting down to 110 (I'm about 130 right now) and planning on not ever having to pick an outfit because it's "flattering!" I want to pick an outfit because it's cute! Good luck!!!!!!!!! :hurray:

Have you check out the sleeve - if I lost my band that's the way I would go...

Well -- I'm not really interested in a purely restrictive surgery anymore. I feel I'll do best with by adding malabsorption to my plan LOL. I really didn't like the stats on weight loss and the complications of VGB.

My mom had RNY 7 years ago and has really great results -- I'm hoping to follow in hers and CM's footsteps!

Well -- I'm not really interested in a purely restrictive surgery anymore. I feel I'll do best with by adding malabsorption to my plan LOL. I really didn't like the stats on weight loss and the complications of VGB.

My mom had RNY 7 years ago and has really great results -- I'm hoping to follow in hers and CM's footsteps!

Good Luck.... I wish you the best !!!

So sorry for replying so late to your thread...finals in school the last 2 weeks kept me busy!! Anyway..I'm 7.5 months post-op from a Lap Band to RNY revision and VERY happy :sneaky: As of today I'm down 131lbs total, 60 lbs since revision and am at 93% EWL, so I'm closing in on 100% EWL :leaving: You're not alone and you won't be sorry for going the RNY route. In thinking about my total WLS journey, I've come to the conclusion that the band was good for awhile, got me down in weight, but then troubles started (slip and erotion) and it just prepared me for my final and LAST WLS event!! Any questions feel free to PM me!!

Jane